News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: 6-6-6 Courses?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 03:34:30 AM »
Trajectory, Seve's firm has made a bit of a thing about 6-6-6 courses in recent years. The course Jamie is referencing is The Shire in Barnet, north London (www.theshirelondon.com), which opened a couple of years ago. It's not bad, but the 6-6-6 formula, combined with a 'no two consecutive holes the same par' thing makes it a bit forced. In particular, the opening hole is a par three with what's effectively an island green - not my idea of a welcoming introduction to the round.

They also did the 6-6-6 thing at Porto Santo in the Madeira islands (where the Madeira Open was hosted last year). I rather liked that course - the front nine is a bit plain, but it works its way up to some big sea cliffs and the back side, and the holes around the cliffs are really pretty good.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 03:51:09 AM »
Garland,

The thing about Berkshire Red is that it has 8 or 9 par 4.5s.  Wonderful.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 05:12:32 AM »
Garland,

Plus it really makes the Red different from the Blue despite the similarity of terrain.  Does anybody know if Fowler did this on purpose?

I know of another 6-6-6 course, Bank House outside of Worcester, but it is a very mediocre course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 05:36:26 AM »
Garland,

Plus it really makes the Red different from the Blue despite the similarity of terrain.  Does anybody know if Fowler did this on purpose?

I know of another 6-6-6 course, Bank House outside of Worcester, but it is a very mediocre course.

Ciao
It would be fascinating to know if it was deliberate.  The difference in feel between Blue and Red courses is remarkable given the similarity in the terrain.  I wonder if he made the Blue a par 71 for the same reason.  Thinking about what else helps differentiate the feel of the two courses, one starts with a par 5, one with a par 3, one finishes with a 3, one with a 4.

Someone really should do a photo essay thread on the Berkshire.  Maybe I will try out my photographic and descriptive skills after one of my two visits there this year.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »
Berkshire Red could quite easily be the world's toughest par 66 as all the par 5s are well within reach in two strokes
Cave Nil Vino

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 08:45:11 AM »
Haile Plantation Golf and Country Club (Gainesville, FL)

Gary Player Design.

http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/coursefinder/course/0,28290,1476089,00.html

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
I believe Carroll Valley Resort in Fairfield, PA is a 6-6-6.  Classic
ski resort course.  FUN!

Mike Tanner

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
Alex and David,

Another course that returns to the clubhouse at 6-hole intervals is Tom Fazio's Keowee Springs course at one of The Cliffs communities.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »
High Meadow Ranch is a damn fine coursed and in great shape!

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »
I know the Maxwell original course at Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City was a 6-6-6 layout.  From all accounts of the people I know that played the layout it was far superior to what is there now.

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
Mike Tanner,actually the K. Springs course loops to a halfway house after 6 and 12 but the 1st and 18th are the only holes playing from and to the clubhouse. Same idea though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back