News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: Can trees ever be an appropriate strategic tool?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
We might also consider that trees can provide strategic impact even if they are not in the line of play.  For example, their influence on wind (and/or whether or not the player senses it) can make a huge impact.

WW

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
I have always liked Harbour Town, and what it represents, but the course is so narrow as a whole that the individual trees within the corridors are pretty overwhelming for someone who is not a really good player.

But to have clumps of trees as hazards can be a beautiful thing, and I'm sick to death of people saying they can never be a good hazard.  I think about that clump of cypress trees to the right of the 14th at Cypress Point, or the oaks which come into play on a couple of holes at The Valley Club.  They add so much to the character of those places, that it's ridiculous to postulate that you shouldn't incorporate them into the design of some of the golf holes.

Yes, they are fickle hazards, and as living things you know that someday they will die and your golf hole will no longer be the same.  But would it have been better never to have loved at all?

Tom,

It was a shame when the big oak to the left of #7 at the Valley Club went down.  Losing the one on the left of #1 was a good thing, made that left side angle available.   What other trees are you thinking of?  #5 right side off the tee?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
I can't say I am a fan of Sawgrass, but the tree on the left side of the green/approach on #16 is a great use of a tree as a hazard, especially with water short and right.  It is in play whether you lay up or go for it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
My home course is on a pretty small piece of property and its major defenses against scoring are its greens and a lot of trees.  In several cases, the trees work really well as strategic tools, requiring the player to think through his options and then execute.  In a lot of other cases (too many, IMO), they require nothing more than a straight tee shot. 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 05:33:49 PM »
In some of my designs, two in particular, the best routing senarios have produced huge trees of one hundred years old in the center of the landing area...for most a no-no! I would rather require a golfer to deal with it and take the critisms than even suggesting removing such a specimen.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
Yes they can. Black Forest #10. Detailed in Anatomy of a Golf Course.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,20495.0/
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
One of the more controversial trees at my club (CC at Woodmore DC) is the tree on the right side of the green on #17.  If the pin is on the right side of the green you really have to launch the ball.  But there is another option  The limbs aare pretty high off the ground and a bump and run shot is also possible which is the way my wife plays it.  Sometimes we would like to cut the tree down but it is a majestic 150 year old Oak.  It would be better to move the green. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Clayman

Re: Can trees ever be an appropriate strategic tool? New
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
Answer is.... a huge YES

(if only to get chipoat to post)

One could argue  that the trees in the 17th fairway of Cypress Point Club are Mackenzie's second biggest mistake.  and then argue that the trees in the middle of the 18th fairway are his biggest mistake.  ;)

Mike

Mike, My first reaction was : They could argue but would be wrong. :

I was fortunate to recently see a picture of those trees on 17 before the golf course was there. So, who exactly made a mistake? Alister or The big man himself?

Tim, The trees on the peninsula notoriously eat golf balls for breakfast. These particular Cypress trees are 10% air.

Tom, One of my all time greatest shots was from the right rough on 14, with a 4 iron that cleared the tallest branch, of that entire clump, by one inch and made the green. Everyone else on my team was on the left side of fwy and only one of them made par.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:30:30 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back