News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Makena advice-OT
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
Anyone been to Makena lately?Is the North the only course open?Is it worth a play or would you stick with Walea on that side of Maui?Is it as well conditioned as the Walea courses? Is there any walking?

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Makena advice-OT
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
The Wailea Gold course is probably the best of the Wailea courses.  Sorry but I haven't played Makena in a long time so I don't know the situation with it.

Have a fish taco in the roadside "roach coach" down near Makena beach.

I'd guess that >90% of play on those courses is by cart...I guess it depends on temp and humidity as to whether I'd walk it.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
I played Makena North a few years ago.  i thought it was very good. Wailea Gold is, as Kevin says, the best of the Wailea courses.  I like the Makena course better.  It didn't have as many condos and the terrain was pretty terrific.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
I believe the south course is closed. I like them better than the Wailea courses myself.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
You can't walk the Makena courses - I played the North last year because the South was closed and I thought it was pretty weak for the price.

I think this has been mentioned before in the Maui conversations - if you want to play on the island then drive up to Kapalua and plunk down the cash bc it is much better than anywhere else. I played the Dunes which was okay, not on the ocean and total cart ball but okay.

If you take the ferry over to Lanai and play the Experience and the Challenge you can actually walk those courses (per Rich Choi).

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Usually go to Kapalua but the Village course id closed and the pros have the Plantation next week.A spur of the moment trip and I forgot the tour would be there.Also,the days are short for a trip to the other island.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 01:11:04 AM »
Wailea Golf is probably your best bet then - The Dunes also has some interesting holes, it is a fun place for a round, kind of crazy in spots. I usually stay in Kihei and I think the drive to the Dunes was only 15 - 20 minutes (I think) - it is quite a bit cheaper than the Makena/Wailea courses if memory serves.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back