News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

EU to ban pesticides
« on: January 04, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Here is a link to an interesting article on the upcoming ban in Europe of the use of certain pesticides:

http://www.finegolf.co.uk/what-is-fine-golf/EU-to-ban-pesticides/

Tom_Doak

Re: EU to ban pesticides
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
David:

Guess we'll have to go back to that thread from two months ago arguing about whether fescue is "sustainable".  Or maybe they will just have to figure out how to make it work, as they have in Denmark.

I walked around several courses in Holland last month, where there is also a pesticide ban of sorts in place.  The main difference I noticed was that they have a lot of problems with grub control in the fairways, and the birds had picked many spots bare as a result.  I don't know whether there is an effective organic control for grubs, but if there isn't, somebody in Europe should start trying to figure one out.

Steve Okula

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »
I haven't been to Denmark myself to see what the conditions actually are, but I have spoken face to face with supers working there, and I am reliably informed that pesticides are used on golf courses, albeit sureptitiously.

Here in France, certain pesticides have been phased out. For example, there is at present no reliable insecticide labelled for turf since carbaryl was banned for turf use. On the other hand, other products have recently come onto the market. Heritage fungicide is one that has been labelled for turf in the past two years. Rumor has it that we'll soon have carfentrazone (aka Quicksilver) for moss control.  There is a ten year plan to phase out certain other products, but there is no talk of a total pesticide ban for golf courses in the immediate future, at least not in France, and not Europe-wide. 

These and thousands more pesticides are available for other agricultural applications, including landscapes and ornamental flowers.

And Tom, strictly speaking, crows are a biological grub control.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »

And Tom, strictly speaking, crows are a biological grub control.

:)   Yes, sir, I know a bunch of Dutch superintendents who can vouch for that.  I think they are looking for an ALTERNATIVE control.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »

Are we about to see “The Death of the Worms 1904" come back to life in “The Worm That Turned 2010” and its long anticipated sequel "The Return of The Worm II (2011)" ?

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back