News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Wentworth redo :O(
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
Interesting article in todays Golf World (UK) on the changes at Wentworth. I have thought I would keep an open mind on this but now I am seeing more and more pics and forming my opinion. My opinion is ... 'it's minging'.

Some interesting statements on the changes from Julian Small who seems the spokesman for the Wentworth company.."There is no doubt you will need to fly the ball through the air more than ever here".... "The West course is now very much about target golf"...."We all want to make history here. Harry Colt was a visionary. But, no-one will ever know what he would do if he were here today" ... Mr Small goes on to say they believe they have been respectful.

The article goes on to describe how some greens have be raised 10 feet! In my opinion the new 8th green looks rather nasty.

There is no doubt they should have rebuilt these greens as beneath the surface was pretty bad and in rebuilding there is the opportunity to improve a few things, but from my memory I am not sure that anything needed to be done to improve the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 16th, 17th or 18th green surfaces, safe some very minor bits. I think 3 needs a redo, but that was not HC anyhow. 4 was a bit of a steepish cross slope, 7 not enough pin areas, same for 14 maybe 15 was a bit severe, but to raise it 5 feet, surely the visibiity is gone.

It cost £6,000,000 ...my take it will cost £12,000,000... another 6 to put it back!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:51:29 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall C

Re: Wentworth redo :O(
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
Adrian,

What exactly have they done in spending £6 million ? That seems an awful lot even if rebuilding 18 greens, all the tees and renewing all the bunkers. Any thoughts ?

Niall

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
Depressing....I've only played the East course...Now I don't feel the need to rush back....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Birkert

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »
There are some quotes in the latest Golf International magazine which would be funny if they weren't so depressing. I'll find them and put them up.

It's a real shame what has happened there.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »
Niall- I think, (not totally sure) the £6M includes the provision for the lost revenue from rounds.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
Maybe instead of (in addition to?  ;D) a 50% surtax on Bankers' bonuses they should institute a surcharge on overpriced corporate clubs that overlook their heritage to aspire to the American Tour game..... :-\
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:30:02 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
It may surprise many to hear the Wentworth Club has a very strong individual membership.
Cave Nil Vino

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
Mark,

I can second that about the Wentworth members.  We hosted a couple dozen Wentworth members and the "Wentworth Cup" which is a 3 day match of local members against those from across the pond.  The matches tied for the best visit by members of an overseas club in 2009.  ;D  Terrific folks, and a joy to be with (no kummel though).  I've been invited and am hoping to go over there and play with them in next year's matches, which just goes to show that they place far more emphasis on personality than on golf skills.

Jeff
That was one hellacious beaver.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »
Jeff,

Better not ask who they tied with!! If you can get over in 2010 we'd be delighted to see you and some of your members and return the hospitality.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Tom Birkert

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:45 AM »
It may surprise many to hear the Wentworth Club has a very strong individual membership.

They do. They also have some fine golfers who come out of there and a laudable scholarship scheme, which produced Ross Fisher.

This makes it all the more surprising that these changes have been allowed to take place. I think it was generally acknowledged that the greens needed work, but what Ernie has done is a travesty in my opinion.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 09:38:56 AM »
First of all thanks for the use of that wonderful northern word...minging...that alone has made my day!

The early pictures that I have seen would have Colt turning in his grave and have Dye salivating.
That is not a slam on Dye at all, just a statement on how different the changes are compared to the original layout...not a fan of the changes at all

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
Just read the Golf World article. It notes that players and key figures in the game have been positive, including Gary Player, a "respected designer in his own right". However, there is also a side bar in which Adam Lawrence explains "Why I Believe Wentworth has got it all Wrong".

The article doesn't show the changes as well as Robin's recently posted photos.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41736.0/

Its funny, but the more I see of it, the more I can't wait to see how the pros get on when they return. It makes me wonder how the course would be recieved if it was brand new? However, the key point I suspect for most of us on here is that its a real shame to do this to a historic Colt course! Theres no way this is sympathetic to Colt's original and the statement that no one knows what he would do if he were here today is a massive copout!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back