News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Jansen

Kauai Golf- Where to Play
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
I am finally making my first trip to Hawaii (Kauai) and starting to get the golf lined up.  There is no better place than here to get great feedback on where to play, so please share your experiences.

#1 on everyone's list I'm sure is Princeville- Prince.  I've also been told that Kauai Lagoons has some of the most incredible par 3's in the world. 

What are the opinions on the Princeville- Makai, Poipu Bay, Kiahuna....any other great resort/ private/ or can't miss munis.

Thanks

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Kauai Golf- Where to Play
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »
Mike,

The only course I've played on Kauai is Poipu Bay.  It was okay, but I'd probably rather just drink Mai Tais on the beach and enjoy the scenery. 

Ron Csigo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
Mike,

Head to Princeville and play the Prince.  While you're up there, the Makai course is worthwhile if time permits.  I would rank Kauai Lagoons (Nicklaus) as the second best course on Kauai.  Poipu Bay is only worth playing if you're staying at the resort.   If you end up playing there, have a lava flow after your round.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

David Lott

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
I've not been there yet but am going for three weeks starting January 25. I've heard some decent things about Wialua muni. Their web site says "Wailua GC hosted 3 USGA Amateur Public Links Championships and is voted by Golf Digest as one of Hawaii’s best 15 golf courses." 9 holes built in 1930's, 9 more fairly recent. Price is one-third to one-fourth the green fee at Princeville.
David Lott

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
I went there and had 4 tee times at the Prince. Played once and canceled the rest.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »
I would only play golf there if you have to be with your wife and have no other escape. The scenery, natural, female and drinks trump the golf there.

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:04:42 PM »
Princeville Prince is definately quite an experience and should be played for sure.

Princeville Makai is set to re-open soon after being closed for a year for renovation by RTJII. Bunkers have been made more interesting (turned from blobs into flowing shapes) and grass is new. The have some cliffside holes. Saw it about 3 months ago when it was growing in. Looks worthwhile, especially if youre staying in the Princeville area.

Moving south to Wailua GC which is just North of the airport. Id very highly recommend this muni which is one of the best munis you can find. The only problem is it gets really busy. If you are short of time, I'd highly recommend getting there at 6am and signing up for a morning twilight round on the back nine. I'm sure you will be impressed and for the $30 it cost, you're not going to do better in Hawaii dollar for dollar.

Kauai Lagoons (Nicklaus) should be avoided now as the reason for playing it, the Ocean Kiele back nine, is under renovation and wont open until (at least) 2011. It has all the ocean holes you've seen pictures of. They offer an 18 hole offering of the front nine on the Kiele and nine from the other 18 hole course they had there. Nothing spectacular at this time.

Poipu Bay (RTJ II) is quite an excellent resort course. Its really beautiful and has a thrilling finish along the Ocean. There are some pretty interesting holes on this course and while its quite expensive, it is worth it.

Puakea GC is also very much worth playing. It was originally 12 holes and then expanded to 18. The back nine on this course is really strong and the par 3 #5 is a real "experience" par 3 playing over the jungle. Excellent value. Robin Nelson doesnt get his due in my opinion.

Kiahuna GC in Poipu is  much improved  in a renovation that occured about 4 years ago and quite a sporty RTJ II course with some unusual holes and some neat features such as dobule fairways, double greens and native rock  shrines.. If you are in the area, I'd play a twilight round there.

Kuliolono is a 9 hole rudimentary course on the west side of the island. It does offer neat views of the forbidden island of NIihau on a clear day and you can buy chicken feed in the pro shop shack to feed the wild birds. Otherwise its a rather raw  9 holer
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:10:08 PM by Evan_Green »

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:44:14 AM »
I would play the muni on the South side of the Island. Poipu is ok but expensive. I did not play Princeville but bring your raingear.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 07:11:56 AM »
I went there and had 4 tee times at the Prince. Played once and canceled the rest.

You are a strange duck, Mrs. Beckham.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
My advice to most people would be to pass on the golf, and learn how to surf while you're there. The surf spots are a Doak 9, the water is warm, and the chicks dig it. Ask Huckaby or Mayhugh.

Should you have to play.....

Prince Course is solid; very difficult with a few highly unique holes. I really enjoyed it from the back tees. The setting, save a few holes on the front...is spectacular. Downfall is a few very weak holes, and a few awkward spots elsewhere. The only place I've played with a naturally occuring waterfall. And ultimately, at the end of the day.....isn't this is all that really matters.

Wailua offers nice views, a good test, and is walkable at a very reasonable price. Downside, I thought it makes Torrey South look like a strategic masterpiece.

Makai, Poipu, and Kiahuna are simply awful, as of 10 years ago. I don't have the scale handy but would put them all in the Doak 0-3 range.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »

You are a strange duck, Mrs. Beckham.

Played the rest instead at the Makai course and got HAMMERED...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
Definitely Prince
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

scott_wood

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »
I would only play golf there if you have to be with your wife and have no other escape. The scenery, natural, female and drinks trump the golf there.
TIGER!!!!!!
there ARE 24 hours in a day  :o

Alex Miller

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:39:13 AM »
Kuliolono is a 9 hole rudimentary course on the west side of the island. It does offer neat views of the forbidden island of NIihau on a clear day and you can buy chicken feed in the pro shop shack to feed the wild birds. Otherwise its a rather raw  9 holer

One of my favorites!

Show up in board shorts and flip flops and hit your shots barefoot. You'll get some really firm bounces and watch out for the 7th green!

Loads of fun, worth a late afternoon round if you're in the area. 270 degree views of the Pacific.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
Change plans and go to Maui and play the Plantation course.  I was very disappointed with the Prince course - a few good views but that's about it. 

Drew Standley

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
I played 54 holes on the Prince Course at Princeville during my honeymoon almost 10 years ago.  My wife and I did 36 one day and never saw another group on the course.  It was a fun time for us and there are a few cool holes out there. 

Matt Bosela

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
I stayed at Princeville for two weeks during my honeymoon in 2006.

I'd definitely recommend playing the Prince if you've never played it before.  It's worth playing once but that's all in my opinion.  Some gorgeous scenery and some excellent golf holes on the back nine...pretty average on the front nine but #1 is tough as nails (maybe toughest opening hole I've ever played).

I also played Poipu Bay and it is very underwhelming with the notable 15th-17th stretch along the ocean.  Thrilling three hole stretch but overall, the course is not worth the effort to play in my opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back