News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Harewood Golf Club NZ, Redevelopment
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:03:40 AM »
In light of the resurrection of the NZ top 30 list, I thought I would put forward a few photos of the recent Harewood golf Club redevelopment.

Harewood GC is a 36 hole complex located about a 5 min drive from the Christchurch airport. Recent development of the airport has involved a runway extension which forced the acquisition of a parcel of land on which one of the Harewood courses sit. This obviously has caused some disruption to the course and the club were compensated for it accordingly.

The club chose to use some of the money gained to upgrade the “Woodlands: or “old” course (both the same it has 2 names for some reason) and deal with some of the agronomic concerns while also creating an architecturally enhanced product. As a fairly typical parkland type course in NZ, it featured holes heavily dominated by trees and uninspiring greens complexes. To rectify this, the club contracted Scott Macpherson and Greg Turner to overhaul the course and charged them with the task of creating a golf experience that appeals to the membership and simultaneously provide a test of golf for the top level golfer.

The redevelopment entailed 18 new greens, rebuilding all tee complexes, rebunkering of the course, adding length and involved the complete rerouting of the first 5 holes. To date, there have been 531 large trees removed also.

In a region not well known for its openness to new ideas and the dominance of flat circular greens, Scott and Greg have created something quite removed from what the locals will be accustomed to. They have, in my opinion, manage to create a course that caters for all level of playing ability with an emphasis on fun and rewarding the player who thinks their way around. What was once simply a test of how straight one could hit their driver now offers options off the tee and a course that differs from day to day depending on the wind and hole location. It will require a complete game to score well while remaining playable for the lesser golfer.

The following are a few photos of the course at differing stages of grow in. While some pics are not that great, hopefully they hint at what has been achieved there and why this course is now a must play when in NZ.

This is the new third hole, a par 3 of approx 180 metres form the back

This shows the approach to the new 4th hole, a par 4 of approx 330 metres. Its is hard to see in this photo, but a swale runs perpendicular through the green making a back pin rather interesting to get to. The player will have to decide to land the ball at the front and run through it or try to fly all the way back and stop the ball.

This photo from behind shows the swale more clearly

This is the tee shot on the new 5th. The hole plays approx 310 metres from the back. The fairway bunker is approx 220 metres off the tee and does a great job of disguising how much ground there actually is form there to the green.

This is the shot that faces the player from just past the fairway bunker. Pin position clearly dictates the preferred side of the fairway to play to off the tee.

The new 6th is a par 3 of aprox 150 metres from the back. You play to a multi level green guarded by a large swale short right.

This is the new 10th green viewed from short right. It features a bunker guarding the left of the green with a deep hollow on the right hand side to catch the player who bails out right.

The 11th is a par 4 of approx 370 metres. It feautres a fairway bunker in the centre which forces the player to choose which side of the fairway to play down.

This picture shows the long left to right angled green which is protected by a run off area to the right.

The 15th is a moderate length par 3 played to a slightly angled green. The green is partially bisected by a ridge running in from the back edge which makes being on the correct side of it hugely beneficial.

The 18th is a strong par 5 to close the round. While being reachable for only the longest hitters it forces the player to identify their strategy and commit to it fully. This photo shows the landing zone for the second shot and the bunkers to be navigated.

The large right to left angled green is best approached from the right hand side and demands accuraccy from any distance. A large hollow short right and another long create uncomfortable recovery options without the use of sand. I feel this hole will be a tough birdie yet an easy par.

The course re-opens in about 2-3 months and I certainly cant wait to play it. In an area featuring a lot of decidedly average golf courses, Harewood now offers something that stands apart from all the other carbon copy paint by numbers style courses. Well done to Scott and Greg on what you have achieved at Harewood and hopefully it opens peoples eyes to a new way of thinking and leads on to NZ starting to care more about the courses we play our golf on.

Ash Towe

Re: Harewood Golf Club NZ, Redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:41:15 AM »
Grant,

Nice to see you post.  You always have some interesting comments and pictures to view.

Congratulations to everybody concerned with the work at Harewood, the items you have featured look realistic and enjoyable rather than exaggerated that we have seen on other courses.

How is the long driving going?

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »
HI,

Grant was the lead shaper on this projected, and part of the TIC team. The may open for 'soft' play in Oct 2011, with an official opening early in 2012.

We are very happy with the work done here by the whole team and the Club are very excited by their new course.

Thanks for the photos Grant.

scott

Grant Saunders

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »
Hi Ash

Hows the golf been in Auckland this winter?

I have been trying to re-establish my whole game these days so I havent been enetering the long drive contest. The word erratic certainly describes my efforts on the golf course but slowly the good shots are begining to outweigh the bad.

Harewood is in my view a must play and now gives people a reason to pause in Christchurch as opposed to just picking up a rental car from the airport and driving south.

Scott

Will you be out during the soft opening or not until the official opeing?

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
Grant,

Auckland has been very wet this winter, or normal for the time of year.

Glad your impressive game is coming together.

Will give Harewood a try when I am next down that way.

Where are you working now/next?

Leo Barber

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:39 AM »
Good post Grant, enjoyed seeing the photos and look forward to playing it one day soon.

One thing that does strike me if I could comment constructlively is that the feel of the course from the photos is still stilted by the vegetation.  Lots of regimented plantings of exotic trees in soldier formation with a number of varieties fighting each other.  Always tough to address on this scale and probably not part of the design brief but hopefully one that the team are working towards in the medium future.  the pic you posted of the 10th (?) with some beautiful canterbury native grass looked fantastic and should be your benchmark.  We have such an educational mountain to climb here in nz with this regard but those that are leading the charge to address and recognise such challenges have the riches of the industry in front of them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back