News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

Re: Starting Thurs., 12/17, Get To Know Andrew Summerell
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2009, 02:37:36 AM »
What other courses have you played in NZ and thoughts?  Ever played a round with Alice Cooper? 

Hi Leo,

I haven’t played as much in New Zealand as I would like. Paraparaumu Beach still remains my favourite in New Zealand. I also enjoyed Titirangi, but Wairakei underwhelmed a little. I have also played Auckland GC, Hutt, Manor Park, Harewood, Russley & of course Kauri Cliffs. I am yet to play Cape Kidnappers.

What New Zealand doesn’t seem to have is a strong single architectural influence like Australia, & especially The Sandbelt has. Even outside The Sandbelt MacKenzie’s influence can be seen. I’m not sure if this would have presented New Zealand with better courses, but it would have given them a reference point.

As far as Alice Cooper goes, I played around with a lot of young ladies in my youth, but I don’t remember Alice.  ::)

James Bennett

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »

As far as Alice Cooper goes, I played around with a lot of young ladies in my youth, but I don’t remember Alice.  ::)

Andrew

I think Alice Cooper is the married name.  I think Alice had a different name in her youth.

James B

ps  looks like Kelly Blake Moran and Neil Crafter share a love of Bob Dylan!  Must be an architect thing.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
One of my biggest surprises at the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame was seeing Bob Dylan singing clearly in an older documentary.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Wagner

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »
Andrew,

Are you a Knopfler fan?  Townshend? 

Your take on Jimmy Page is interesting....what golf course would he be?

Your Gilmour story is outstanding.....don't think I would have been able to pull the trigger.  I bumped into Roger Waters at a Who concert a few years ago....literally bumped into him coming around a corner backstage. 

Brian Walshe

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 05:55:52 AM »
Andrew,

Stratocaster or Gibson?  Are you intending to move house to get better mobile coverage?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 07:18:47 AM »
Andrew,

Are you a Knopfler fan?  Townshend?  

Your take on Jimmy Page is interesting....what golf course would he be?

Your Gilmour story is outstanding.....don't think I would have been able to pull the trigger.  I bumped into Roger Waters at a Who concert a few years ago....literally bumped into him coming around a corner backstage.  

I don’t mind Mark Knopfler. Melodic & lyrical. Sultans Of Swing was the first solo (both of them) I worked out by ear by myself at the age of 13. As a young guitarist, I liked Townshend as well. He showed me that it doesn’t always have to be about the solo.

I think Jimmy Page would be Torrey Pines South. It has a great pedigree & is definitely in the right place at the right time. It has never really reached it potential, but its fans don’t seem to care. If green complexes are its guitar solo, you tend to hear the same pentatonic pattern over & over again.

Mike, did you get the chance to speak to Roger? I have never met him, but have been told he can be a little surly at times. ( Although, aren’t we all )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:32:01 AM by Andrew Summerell »

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:11 AM »
Stratocaster or Gibson?  Are you intending to move house to get better mobile coverage?

Brian,

I’m very much a Fender man. I have a few Fenders (Strats & Teles) & all my electric guitars (my 7 Kramers, PRS, and a couple of Ibanez, etc) have Fender scale fretboards.

We live 15 mins from my wife’s parents. If my wife was happy to move I would move tomorrow to Melbourne or Deal, UK. Probably both, as I rather fancy spending a few months a year in Kent. I would make sure both homes have reasonable mobile coverage.

George Pazin

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »
Did you start with the guitar, or move to it later? Did you start with formal lessons, or just figure it out for yourself? Will you encourage your children to take a similar path?

I played violin for 10 years starting at age 6, due to my dad's insistence. It gave me a good ear (before I started losing my hearing), but the fact that I didn't choose to do it I think meant my musical career was doomed from the start. I haven't played since I quit, though I do have a good appreciation for the Itzhak Perlman's of the world.

Know any good drummer jokes I can tell to my best friend who plays? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
George in traditional Irish music the drum is called a Bodhran, I guess it's the same the whole world over.

http://www.ceolas.org/instruments/bodhran/jokes.shtml  

One definition Bodhran.   pron. Bow - rahn.              "bodhrán       deaf person; dullard"

Andrew

You seem to have more personal  experience of both world class sportsmen and musicians than the rest of us have of either.  I would Be interested to hear your take on the following (half baked?) theory.

In my experience in both fields the level just below the top  are themselves amazing talents and before the big break it's often hard to pick who the 'winner' will be.  However in the Arts it's more often the case that being spotted by the 'right' person can put you on stage at the right time.  In sports you are more likely to rise to the top based on your talents alone.

I may be generalising a bit too much here and ignoring team vs solo performers,  but I'd appreciate your take on it?

Finally it may be my age but Jimmy Page is the only guitatrist you've mentioned that I've ever listened to.  Like many stars he may have become trapped by his own ipersona - in this case sound but it wasn't always so.  In the days before the Yardbirds the young Page was the favoured hired gun in swinging London.  from Wikipedia

" As a session guitarist he was known as 'Little Jim' so there was no confusion with Big Jim Sullivan. Page was mainly called in to sessions as "insurance" in instances when a replacement or second guitarist was required by the recording artist. "It was usually myself and a drummer", he explained, "though they never mention the drummer these days, just me ... Anyone needing a guitarist either went to Big Jim [Sullivan] or myself"[7]

Page was the favoured session guitarist of producer Shel Talmy, and therefore he ended up doing session work on songs for The Who and The Kinks as a direct result of the Talmy connection.[12] Page's studio output in 1964 included Marianne Faithfull's "As Tears Go By", The Nashville Teens' "Tobacco Road", The Rolling Stones' "Heart of Stone" (released on Metamorphosis), Van Morrison & Them's "Baby Please Don't Go" and "Here Comes the Night", Dave Berry's "The Crying Game" and "My Baby Left Me", and Brenda Lee's "Is It True". Under the auspices of producer Talmy, Page contributed to The Kinks' 1964 debut album and he sat in on the sessions for The Who's first single "I Can't Explain" (although Pete Townshend was reluctant to allow Page's contribution on the final recording, Page did play on the B-side "Bald Headed Woman".)

In 1965 Page was hired by Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham to act as house producer and A&R man for the newly-formed Immediate Records label, which also allowed him to play on and/or produce tracks by John Mayall, Nico, Chris Farlowe, Twice as Much and Eric Clapton. Page also formed a brief songwriting partnership with then romantic interest, Jackie DeShannon. He also composed and recorded songs for the John Williams (not the classical guitarist) album The Maureeny Wishful Album with Big Jim Sullivan. Page worked as session musician on the Al Stewart album Love Chronicles in 1969, and played guitar on five tracks of Joe Cocker's debut album, With a Little Help from My Friends.

When questioned about which songs he played on, especially ones where there exists some controversy as to what his exact role was, Page often points out that it is hard to remember exactly what he did given the huge number of sessions he was playing at the time.[12]"

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:16:41 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Wagner

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »
Andrew - thanks for the answers!

No, I didn't actually meet Roger.....but I'm a huge fan and so are a few of my buddies....so here's my story to them:

i went around a corner, bumped into a guy....my head was down....when I looked up I saw Roger Waters.  I said, "uh, hello Roger..."  He said, "ellow."  So as far as I'm concerned, I met him :)

Happened to be the greatest night of my musical life as I met Townshend (my biggest musical hero of all time....Waters is 2nd) and Eddie Vedder.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2009, 05:54:44 AM »
Did you start with the guitar, or move to it later? Did you start with formal lessons, or just figure it out for yourself? Will you encourage your children to take a similar path?

I played violin for 10 years starting at age 6, due to my dad's insistence. It gave me a good ear (before I started losing my hearing), but the fact that I didn't choose to do it I think meant my musical career was doomed from the start. I haven't played since I quit, though I do have a good appreciation for the Itzhak Perlman's of the world.

Know any good drummer jokes I can tell to my best friend who plays? :)

George,

I had a little ukulele that I would play (badly) as loud as I could so my dad would buy me a guitar. When I was 9 he bought me a classical guitar & sent me to lessons.

My kids both play well for their age. My son, who is 9, wants to follow in my footsteps, but only because he thinks I make a good living by lounging around the house all day.

Sorry, I don’t tell drummer jokes. I respect all forms of wild life.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »
Andrew

You seem to have more personal  experience of both world class sportsmen and musicians than the rest of us have of either.  I would Be interested to hear your take on the following (half baked?) theory.

In my experience in both fields the level just below the top  are themselves amazing talents and before the big break it's often hard to pick who the 'winner' will be.  However in the Arts it's more often the case that being spotted by the 'right' person can put you on stage at the right time.  In sports you are more likely to rise to the top based on your talents alone.

I may be generalising a bit too much here and ignoring team vs solo performers,  but I'd appreciate your take on it?

Tony,

I’m not sure my personal experiences are that unique for someone in my profession. I toured the world 45 to 50 weeks a year for over a decade, so you do tend to meet people & see weird stuff.

I’m not sure about your theory regarding music. There are so many different avenues you can take in the arts & especially in music. There is a certain amount of luck involved, but like most things in life; the better you are, the luckier you get.

I’m aware of Jimmy’s early years. Being a session guitarist is very different from being a lead guitarist in a band where regular solos are required. The face of lead guitar changed dramatically in the late 60’s through the 70’s. He is definitely a great figure in the world of rock music, but that doesn’t mean he was the world’s greatest rock guitarist as he has often been touted by various publications. Of course, with the great music he created, it shouldn’t matter either.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 06:40:10 AM »
No, I didn't actually meet Roger.....but I'm a huge fan and so are a few of my buddies....so here's my story to them:

i went around a corner, bumped into a guy....my head was down....when I looked up I saw Roger Waters.  I said, "uh, hello Roger..."  He said, "ellow."  So as far as I'm concerned, I met him :)

Happened to be the greatest night of my musical life as I met Townshend (my biggest musical hero of all time....Waters is 2nd) and Eddie Vedder.

Mike, it sounds like a pretty good night.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back