News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Greatest GCA of all time based on 1 decade of work and why?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
OMG!!  Has Wayne had an operation and become a 14-year-old girl !!!??    ;)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »
Kevin,

Oops - I actually saw Crystal Downs listed as 1929 or something in Wiki, and then checked the A Mac Society site and it said 1933 - that's why I slotted in Valley Club instead as CD falls outside the decade then

Ideally we would be comparing no more than 5 courses in a single decade.

I am amazed that some of the ODGs were credited with so many courses - There must have been a huge number of site visits and mail ins??? And we thought the modern guys did that . . . sheesh. True???

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 09:17:19 PM »
Tom,

Not a single time have I stated that any architect is superior to another in this thread. I have tried to answer the WHY one architect's work, and by this I do not mean Tilly but "one" in a general sense, may be viewed as superior by arguing that the historical importance of his work may be a better means of judging.

You bring up an interesting point by asking where we would fly to, and then mentioning that Tilly would have loved to work at Bandon & you would have wanted to do a course in Westchester. The point I refer to is the importance of the sites themselves as aiding the greatness of the architect's final design. Crashing Pacific waves certainly would have a tendency to magnify any hole as compared to a large hill inhabited by a few scrawny deer in northern New Jersey. Should the difference in setting then be the deciding factor when judging a question of the type put forth as to who the "best" is? Or should one look at the work done in lesser locations to see how a poor site was turned into something special be a more accurate barometer?

By the way, Tilly once wrote that the finest place to build a golf course in his thinking would be out on the dunes of the south shore of Long Island... He missed out on there also, but, you are right, he would have loved to worked out at Bandon!

By the way, my bags are packed and ready... when do we leave!

Dale, I meant that it is how one chooses to measure that provides the answer to the question posed. Each has their own "measuring stick" so to speak.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back