News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Carrying v. Pull Carts
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:34 AM »
Push carts are the way to go.  (My opinion) anyone who turns their nose up at them or claims using one is a sign of weakness is like someone who insists that automatic transmissions in cars are an inferior method of driving.  Push cart usage is growing like a weed out where I am, and I think it is great.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rob Rigg

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »
I have written about this on my site.

Each club weight 1 lb + - How about playing with 10 clubs?

My bag weight 2.5 lbs - "it's a Llama" - there are other bags on the market that weight close to that

My bag is a single strap - if you loop your arm under the bag and hold it against your back above your hip it really decreases the impact of the weight.

Only carry what you need - a small waterbottle, 6 balls, a couple of tees, etc. in your pocket. 13 to 15 lbs all in.

Pushing a cart is another great option - just remember that keeping that bag light, and using a light bag, is really helpful as well.

Pushing a cart over flat terrain is easy, I often find that carrying is easier on climbs and descents though.

To each his own - just keep walking! :)

Tom Yost

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »
Out of curiosity, I weighed my bag:  21 lbs,  Ping Hoofer w/14 clubs and probably a few more balls than needed.  The Hoofer is not the lightest of bags, but it seems one could only shave off another 1-1/2 or 2 lbs with a lighter bag. 

12 pounds, Sean!  That's amazing!  How is it possible?

I prefer to carry, but have a Speed Cart to lengthen my walking season.  Here in Arizona, the real issue is carrying enough water.

I have this great idea for walking/carrying - 14 clubs is too many, but when I start leaving out clubs, it always leaves gaps that create mental distress.  Solution -  a set of irons with wider gaps than normal (say, 5 or 6 degrees vs. the standard 4 degrees), that would allow one to reduce a set by two clubs but still have a consistent gap between clubs (madness or genius?). 

Also, is there a significant weight reduction going to graphite shafts?  My wife has a set of all graphite Rhapsody and her bag seems like a feather.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
I can play as well (or lately not well) with 9 clubs as with 14 (or 20 for that matter) and my bag itself only weighs 2-1/2 pounds. So given my druthers I'd go with about a 13-14 pound setup and never use my three-wheeler. Unfortunately, living in the land of Bermuda fairways I generally have to also carry about an 8-pound bottle of sand/seed mix. So now it's over 20+ pounds no matter how few clubs I carry and my neck and shoulder definitely gets tight after about 15 holes. It's not so much the carrying as the lifting it on and off my shoulder 50 or so times.

My compromise is if I'm just playing 18 holes once a week and don't care about my score I shoulder the bag. Otherwise I use the Sun Mountain. The one place that a rolling trolley just doesn't work is a course like the Ocean Course where you walk repeatedly through sandy waste areas. It's just way too much trouble either dragging the cart through the sand walking the long way 'round.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »
Sun Mountain bag weighs less than 3 lbs. - I believe they make Titleist's bags.

Graphite shafts might mean a one pound savings.

Why do you need 5 or 6 golf balls - you ought to go to the parking lot after you've lost 3 or 4 because it just isn't your day for golf.

I tried one of those push carts - gave it away to a friend in Florida where it's flat - just too tough on hills.

I have played with 14 clubs and I've played with 8 clubs  - scores are pretty much the same and it can be more fun and challenging trying different shots when using only 8.

At my home course we have boxes with seed on every tee so you can minimize the amount of seed you carry with you in a bottle.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »

Joel,

I have seen pictures of you....my question is are you serious?  You are a fit guy (or look it on your photos) what the hell are you doing with a battery driven trolley... ;D

Well Brian, generally speaking I head to the gym four or five nights a week, usually from 8 to 9 PM, which of course comesafter golf.  I would say I carry the bag about half the time, and use the Speed-E-Cart half the time.  It's the walking I like, not the burden, and I like to "keep something in the tank" so I can kick it when I get to the gym and start lifting, jump-roping or cycling..

Matt OBrien

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »

Joel,

I have seen pictures of you....my question is are you serious?  You are a fit guy (or look it on your photos) what the hell are you doing with a battery driven trolley... ;D

Well Brian, generally speaking I head to the gym four or five nights a week, usually from 8 to 9 PM, which of course comesafter golf.  I would say I carry the bag about half the time, and use the Speed-E-Cart half the time.  It's the walking I like, not the burden, and I like to "keep something in the tank" so I can kick it when I get to the gym and start lifting, jump-roping or cycling..

Joel also does not walk when he plays golf.. he sprints.
I caddied for him once and thats what he did

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
I generally have to also carry about an 8-pound bottle of sand/seed mix. So now it's over 20+ pounds no matter

Yikes!  You sound like a glutton for punishment!  Try using a 16 oz. plastic Gatorade or Powerade bottle with a screw top...that should only set you back a pound, maybe 1.5 pounds, and should easily fit into an accessible side pocket on the golf bag, where you can reach it while the bag is still on your back.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »

My condolences, Matt!  Where was this, BTW?

Sean_A

Re: Carrying v. Pull Carts New
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
Out of curiosity, I weighed my bag:  21 lbs,  Ping Hoofer w/14 clubs and probably a few more balls than needed.  The Hoofer is not the lightest of bags, but it seems one could only shave off another 1-1/2 or 2 lbs with a lighter bag.  

12 pounds, Sean!  That's amazing!  How is it possible?

Tom

It isn't possible - tee hee!  I lied.  Well done for calling me out!  

In truth, my bag fully loaded with kit and shoes in a case for a flight weighs about 26 lbs - far too heavy to carry around 18 holes.  I am guessing the bag weighs in at 14-15 lbs when I play on a dodgey day and 13 or 14 lbs on a fine day.  In completely unofficial weighing tests I think I have met less than a handful of people whos bag is lighter than mine.  I don't understand what people carry when they play, but evidently its important.

Ciao

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:58:31 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
...I don't understand what people carry when they play, but evidently its important.

Ciao

Some of us forgetful old men play Rustic Canyon in KP with full rain gear in the bag on a 90+ degree day with nary a cloud in sight.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
I was intrigued by the back-and-forth on bag weight. Here are some facts.

My bag is a Titty x86.

Bag = 1.9kg
11 clubs = 5.5kg
6 balls = 300g
Extras = say 1kg (drink, rain jacket etc)

That's 8.7kg, or roughly 19lb. You'd be hard-pressed to go lighter than that.

That's without an umbrella, but with raingear.

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
Guys-my knees hurt just from reading this thread...get me a f*cking caddy already.... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
Guys, you can get lighter than 19 pounds. A driver, hybrid, 4 irons, SW, P, Sunday bag, 4 balls, tees, hand rag, 12oz water, and a  granola bar weigh in at less than 13 pounds.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Greg Clark

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
I use the Clickgear 2.0 and am a big fan of that model.  When I was thinking of purchasing one I came across a recent study, that while certainly not all encompassing was interesting to me.  I have linked a story on it below, and while there are several interesting tid bits in it, the nuts and bolts are as follows:

It involved eight amateurs, all men, with ages ranging from 26 to 61 and handicaps ranging from 2 to 17. The volunteers were fitted with various sensors and measuring equipment, and then each played the front nine of a hilly suburban Denver golf course (Inverness Golf Club) several times over the course of the study period.  During these 9-hole outings, the golfers varied their means of transportation (walking, riding in a cart) and also their means of transporting the golf bag (on a golf cart, on their shoulders, on a push cart, on a caddie's shoulders).

Results

Miles Walked

Not riding in cart: 2.5
Riding in cart: 0.5

Calories Burned

Walking: 721
Using push cart: 718
Using caddie: 613
Riding: 411

Average Scores

Using push cart: 40
Using caddie: 42
Riding: 43
Carrying bag: 45

I don't remember reading whether the caddies in the study did anything other than tote the bag, or if they provided course insight.  I suspect the former as I would expect scores to be lower when playing with a quality caddie with course knowledge.  The score results are consistent with my personal history.  I score best when walking with a quality pushcart.  Pulling a cart I find to be awfully hard on the shoulder, and in general not a great idea.  I tire more easily, and my back becomes more fatigued, when carrying my bag.  I would guess my bag to be around 20 - 25 pounds.  I like to score as well as I can, so eliminating clubs - while quaint - doesn't seem like a great option to me.  Not when a pushcart is an option.  I love them.

Plus my Clicgear has a nifty holder for my Skycaddie.   ;D

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28355849/

Matt OBrien

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »

My condolences, Matt!  Where was this, BTW?

Cricket with tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back