News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russell Lo

Carrying v. Pull Carts
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
I recently picked up a Clicgear cart-slick and great for the back and knees. My game, however, has gone into the tank! I surely like the fact that my knees don't ache and I have a lot more energy after the round, but I sure miss the feeling of carrying my bag.

I have no idea if there is a correlation between my game going south and switching to a pull cart so I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Bill_McBride

Re: Carrying v. Pull Carts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
Russell, my game has gone south over the years, doesn't matter whether I'm carrying, pulling, riding, or walking with a caddie.

Maybe you should walk a couple of rounds carrying and a couple with a pull cart.  Are you pushing or pulling?  Maybe there's some new stress from pulling.  A test of both modes would seem to be in order.

At the very least you'll get in some rounds!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »
I find that pulling or pushing a cart is more rigorous than carrying my bag.  Courses with elevation changes and numerous creeks and native areas add a lot more walking and require more strength than just walking.  Also, I find that staying in position to play is more difficult having to be more careful not to bother my playing companions.  I'll probably invest on a new ultra-light bag, and as my ability declines, start carrying fewer clubs.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »
If you are pulling that ClicGear, you are doing it wrong!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Russell Lo

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
Don't worry, I'm pushing it...all over the place! ;)

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »
There is a reason that the wheel received patent #1.  I carried 18 holes a few weeks ago after not doing so for more than 9 holes for years.  Much tougher to walk 6 miles with 30 lbs on your back than without 30 lbs on your back.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
There is a reason that the wheel received patent #1.  I carried 18 holes a few weeks ago after not doing so for more than 9 holes for years.  Much tougher to walk 6 miles with 30 lbs on your back than without 30 lbs on your back.

I think you might need a lighter bag, can't imagine mine weighs 30 lbs.  But maybe.....

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »

I am thinking of getting one of these clickgear jobbies and my bag weighs 12 pounds fully loaded for a flight.  I think its time to take a view and perhaps reconsider the bag situation.  30 lbs is some heavy shit and I expect something caddies carry for pros. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
Bill -  I would say the average stand bag weighs 30 lbs... I've carried bags that weigh over 40 aka trunk, and sometimes if you are really lucky you get one that weighs bellow 20, but 30 is about average.

It always seems to me that pushing/pulling carts makes for extra work, especially when going up hills, and can be distracting. As someone who's profession is dealing with golf bags I highly suggest carrying your own. Sun Mountain and Titleist make "ultra light" tiny carry bags. They weight 3.7 lbs when empty and has only 1 divider for clubs. Even with 14 clubs, including a belly putter, and 5 clubs with head covers (I know I play like an old lady!) the bag barely weighs 15lbs. I just switched from my Ping Hoofer and cant believe I waited so long. Make sure you get backpack straps, your back will thank you as the weight gets divided evenly and you feel the weight even less.

http://www.titleist.com/accessories/carry_bags/ultralightweight.asp

have you seen the motorized buggies that will roll along side of you?... possibly the most distracting thing i have ever seen on a golf course, but they do provide some good laughs when you end up having to chase it down the fairway!... maybe just a little pricey too!

http://www.mgikaddy.com/default.asp?cmd=product&productid=38941

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
I find that pulling or pushing a cart is more rigorous than carrying my bag. 

I'm was the same until my knee went on me. (Not because of carrying) Now I've had the operation, I'll probably start carrying again when I get back into golf.

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
I agree, carrying leaves me much less weary than dragging a bag on a buggy, espcially on a hilly course. I can't see how if you pack smart, a carry bag should be more than 10kg / 22lb. if that.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
As someone with long-term back troubles, I can't imagine that carrying clubs would ever be easier than a push or pull cart, I don't care how hilly the course.

I'm also getting the Clickgear cart this winter -- it will definitely be an improvement on my old-style pull cart.  But even the cheapest pull cart is less wear and tear on my muscles than carrying.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »
As someone with long-term back troubles, I can't imagine that carrying clubs would ever be easier than a push or pull cart, I don't care how hilly the course.

Jimmy, I'm about 270lb. An extra 20lb ain't going to worry me.

I agree, carrying leaves me much less weary than dragging a bag on a buggy, espcially on a hilly course. I can't see how if you pack smart, a carry bag should be more than 10kg / 22lb. if that.

Scott, I always found carrying on the Kikuyu courses of Sydney essential.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 07:25:04 PM »
Bill -  I would say the average stand bag weighs 30 lbs... I've carried bags that weigh over 40 aka trunk, and sometimes if you are really lucky you get one that weighs bellow 20, but 30 is about average.

It always seems to me that pushing/pulling carts makes for extra work, especially when going up hills, and can be distracting. As someone who's profession is dealing with golf bags I highly suggest carrying your own. Sun Mountain and Titleist make "ultra light" tiny carry bags. They weight 3.7 lbs when empty and has only 1 divider for clubs. Even with 14 clubs, including a belly putter, and 5 clubs with head covers (I know I play like an old lady!) the bag barely weighs 15lbs. I just switched from my Ping Hoofer and cant believe I waited so long. Make sure you get backpack straps, your back will thank you as the weight gets divided evenly and you feel the weight even less.

http://www.titleist.com/accessories/carry_bags/ultralightweight.asp

have you seen the motorized buggies that will roll along side of you?... possibly the most distracting thing i have ever seen on a golf course, but they do provide some good laughs when you end up having to chase it down the fairway!... maybe just a little pricey too!

http://www.mgikaddy.com/default.asp?cmd=product&productid=38941

I have the Sun Mountain 2.5 lb bag that was the GCA bag a couple of years ago.  It has great balance and I'm sure isn't over 20 lbs loaded.  It has a stand but it's all very light.

The hardest thing is a cart in the UK when you knock one up into the dunes.... :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:55:48 PM by Bill_McBride »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
Sun Mountain makes a great battery-assisted cart called the Speed-E-Cart.  I think it's in the process of being upgraded, revamped or improved in some way.  I've had one for several years and it works wonderfully...I highly recommend it.

astavrides

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
I took my clubs (14) out of the bag and weighed them.  They weigh 15 lbs.  My bag probably weighs about 9, and the rest of the stuff inside about 4 lbs. 

The other thing is that you have to pick the clubs up and put it on your shoulders (and take them off your shoulders) 50 or so times a round.  I have a double strap bag and my shoulders were worn raw from this.  Maybe a bag that weighed 5 lbs less empty or softer shoulder straps or taking a few golf balls out would help a bit, but i can imagine it would help that much.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
I always tended to have too much in my bag, and still do. Carrying was so much harder on my back, shoulders, etc.  I love my pull/push cart, and can make it as heavy as I want.  I don't use on on much hilly terrain, however, that's why they invented "cart ball."

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
 8)

I took my 3.5 SunMountian bag and emptied all the crap, coins, tees, extra dozen balls, divot tools, bug spray, sun lotion, flask (yep), water bottle, rain cover, towel, metal & plastic course tags off and out of.. makes 3-wheel speed cart much more enjoyable, one tends to load up because its so easy to push

take 4 clubs out of 3.5 bag.. for summer,  add back only 4-6 balls, pint instead of quart water bottle .. easy walking

use 2.5 SunMountain gca bag, easier walking ..except it kept getting blown over at ballyneal!!!

if you're blaming cart for your game, look elsewhere, like short game

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

Jimmy, I'm about 270lb. An extra 20lb ain't going to worry me.

That was me some years ago, until my knees and feet went on total revolt a few years ago. At that point, I decided to offload the unnecessary weight (and no I didn't lose weight) to give my knees and feet as much of a break as possible.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »
This is another fantastic Sun Mountain product, which I described in a thread some months ago.

http://www.sunmountain.com/default.php?cPath=3657_3668_3621

It's a golf bag with built-in hip strap...it takes 90% of the weight off the shoulders, and puts them on the hips.  It takes an extra few seconds to adjust the strap, but once you start walking there's is very little weight in the shoulders. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »
I find that pushing a cart feels like more work on a hilly course with heavy rough -- it can take a lot of energy to push those things through rough, especially uphill. 

Will MacEwen

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
For the winter, I have switched to a Ping Moon bag and only carry 9-10 clubs.  I don't carry nearly as much crap as in my usual bag, and it seems nearly weightless.  Graphite shafts would make it even lighter.  If you hooked this up to a double strap, it would be near weightless.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:41 AM »
For me, carrying the bag or taking a caddy is the only way to play the game.  Either way, the golfer needs to have the correct gear.  I purchased a Sun Mountain Swift-X at the end of the summer.  It is an ideal carry bag that is very light and holds all of the essentials.  The problem for many players is trying to with a carry bag that is too big for carrying.  A caddy will never be happy carrying your cart-adaptable carry bag with 14 individual slots for clubs.  Also try eliminating a few clubs from the bag.  I have found it is easy enough to survive with 12 clubs.  Your scores will also probably decrease if you don't have to choose between five different wedges around the green.

Although push carts are preferable to riding carts, they are not ideal.  Using a push cart disrupts flow and slows down play because it requires excess negotiation around the greens.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Brian Phillips

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 01:18:09 AM »
Sun Mountain makes a great battery-assisted cart called the Speed-E-Cart.  I think it's in the process of being upgraded, revamped or improved in some way.  I've had one for several years and it works wonderfully...I highly recommend it.
Joel,

I have seen pictures of you....my question is are you serious?  You are a fit guy (or look it on your photos) what the hell are you doing with a battery driven trolley... ;D
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »
For me, carrying the bag or taking a caddy is the only way to play the game.  Either way, the golfer needs to have the correct gear.  I purchased a Sun Mountain Swift-X at the end of the summer.  It is an ideal carry bag that is very light and holds all of the essentials.  The problem for many players is trying to with a carry bag that is too big for carrying.  A caddy will never be happy carrying your cart-adaptable carry bag with 14 individual slots for clubs.  Also try eliminating a few clubs from the bag.  I have found it is easy enough to survive with 12 clubs.  Your scores will also probably decrease if you don't have to choose between five different wedges around the green.

Although push carts are preferable to riding carts, they are not ideal.  Using a push cart disrupts flow and slows down play because it requires excess negotiation around the greens.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have back problems and doesn't understand those that do.  Eliminating a couple of clubs from my bag would still not make it possible for me to carry my clubs -- and I own a light-weight bag.

Most people, of course, cannot afford caddies so please don't suggest they're a real solution except for ~1% (if that) of the golfing population.

I just don't understand the zealotry of people on this site on issues like this.  There is *nothing* wrong with using a push/pull cart.  It does not appreciably slow down play if one has even a little bit of common sense.  All you have to do is see where the next tee is and place your cart on that side of the green.

The fact is that pull/push carts a great for the game of golf -- it allows many people to walk instead of riding.  We should be encouraging them, not discouraging.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back