News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Huff

Picking the brain trust of the GCA
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
After reading an article about a guys that hopes to play his 700th course soon, I started making a spreadsheet of all the different courses I've played.  In the spreadsheet I'm also wanting to put the architecht and date built.  When the course employees don't know this info, what's  a good resource to find it?

Jeff Brauer, who did Indian Creek before your redo?  Did the same guy do both courses?

Thanks for any help!

BH

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Picking the brain trust of the GCA
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:43:19 AM »
Brad,

Dick Phelps did both courses at Indian Creek, circa 1984 and 1986 (well, within a year or so) My redo is of the Creeks Course only.

As to finding info on courses, most of the course finder sites usually have that, although I think some of it is wrong from time to time.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brad Huff

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »
Any suggestion as to which sites are more productive than others?  I know there are 8 jillion of them out there.

I knew you only did the Creek course.  I would cuss you again for #4 green but we've been down that road...  LOL!

Thanks for the help.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
If I told you Perry Maxwell designed the 4th green and we left it, you would call it a classic......

Brad Huff

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
Not true.  I would then have to cuss the great Mr. Maxwell as well.  As with most of us, my love for a hole is directly proportional to the number of times I've birdied it!!!

I think I admitted this before but I actually really like the hole because it's so damn hard for me.  I love the challenge.  It whips my ass most every time.  I can almost here it giggle as I walk toward #5.   ...and really isn't that the definition of a good hole?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
Brad,

To be honest, if I was doing that green over again, I would leave most of it, but the back right swale going off the green makes it a bit severe.  I love the rest of it and think its very maxwell esque.

That hole has a lot going on and is one of the bigger changes we made to the good Dick Phelps course (other than rerouting 7-9)  When I saw the space available, it screamed out for removing a few trees and adding a centerline bunker.  I added the left bunker to narrow that option. I think the choice of safe short and/or right is in pretty good balance.  Even if you lay out there, its only a 6-7 iron in and I can usually hit the green from there (having yanked too many tries into the bunker or creek left to even consider it anymore)

Brad Huff

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »
I don't know if I ever told you this story...  The best I've ever seen that hole played was several years ago.  Now Texas A&M standout Conrad Shindler was at Coppell HS and I was hosting our district tournament out there.  From the tips, he kicks a field goal between the bunkers with a driver and rolls it into the depression.  Little pitch, tap it in, write down 3.  Of course, he played a lot of holes like that...

I agree with you on the hole.  That's what makes it so frustrating.  3 wood or hybrid off the tee, wedge or 9 iron in hand and still write down 5 or 6!!  ARRGGH!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
To your question..."what's a good resource to find it"...Tom Macwood seems to be a good place to start.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back