News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Official GCA Pay It Forward Experiment
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 01:00:42 AM »
This is the funniest thread of the year...given the haphazard way this band of monkeys does business, I half-expect to see scorecards, books and Sand Hills monogrammed underwear arriving to unexpectant hands.  Can somebody do an update, like we did with the architects' draft, along these lines...

Joe Blow...offered X
Dick Jane...took X, offered Y
Humpty D...took Y, offered Z

I've got some crap to give, but I need a streamlining first.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »
I, too, am amused AND confused by this outcome.

Original idea: I offer an Augusta National scorecard.  Someone (Adam) claims it, then offers something of his own.

The whole thing is supposed to progress one item and one person at a time.

Wade offered an AGNC scorecard.
Adam took scorecard and offered Crystal Downs booklet.
David took booklet and offered Golf Architecture Magazine (vol. eight).

Mike offered Dream Golf.
Scott claimed book and offered Golf Architecture book.

Kalen offered CPC ball mark.

Steve offered yardage books.
JC claimed yardage book and offered Golf by Design.

Adam R. offered Chicago Golf Club scorecard.

Michael offered A Season In Dornoch.
Jim claimed book and offered One Divot At A Time (signed) plus yardage books.
Sean took book and offered scorecards OR Dornoch booklet OR yardage guides.

Bill offered pencils.

Jim offered Sand Hills scorecard.

By my estimate, the following items are still on offer:

David's book
Scott's book
Kalen's ball mark
JC's book
Adam's scorecard
Sean's choices
Bill's pencils
Jim's Sand Hills scorecard.

I'm not sure how to clean this up.  It's starting to read like a GCA Twelve Days of Christmas.

I suggest: Someone claim David's Golf Architecture Magazine (vol. eight).  That's the last item in the "original" thread.  Once that's claimed, said person should make an offer.  Anyone else who's in on the thread can then slide back in with an acceptance and subsequent offer.

Or, we can just keep going.  It's a stream of goodwill either way.

WW

PS My wife just asked what I'm doing.  I told her.  Neither of us can fathom why I just spent time on this.  Happy holidays!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:48:32 AM by wwhitehead »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
WW,

I appreciate what you are doing, even if we didn't follow the rules exactly.  Hopefully, you don't think too poorly of us, after all we were only trying to offer up more than what was out there so i think our hearts are in the right place.  ;)

Thanks again for doing this....every and any small act of kindness in this world makes its a better place.

Kalen

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Kalen: Exactly!  A hodgepodge beats nothing and may, indeed, be better than any system to begin with.

WW

Michael Huber

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »
Kalen: Exactly!  A hodgepodge beats nothing and may, indeed, be better than any system to begin with.

WW

There's no question that this thread is headed in the right direction and is a good idea.  I have nothing to give, but I hope it turns out well. The internet needs more of this type of thing.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »
I, too, am amused AND confused by this outcome.

Original idea: I offer an Augusta National scorecard.  Someone (Adam) claims it, then offers something of his own.

The whole thing is supposed to progress one item and one person at a time.

Wade offered an AGNC scorecard.
Adam took scorecard and offered Crystal Downs booklet.
David took booklet and offered Golf Architecture Magazine (vol. eight).

Mike offered Dream Golf.
Scott claimed book and offered Golf Architecture book.

Kalen offered CPC ball mark.

Steve offered yardage books.
JC claimed yardage book and offered Golf by Design.

Adam R. offered Chicago Golf Club scorecard.

Michael offered A Season In Dornoch.
Jim claimed book and offered One Divot At A Time (signed) plus yardage books.
Sean took book and offered scorecards OR Dornoch booklet OR yardage guides.

Bill offered pencils.

Jim offered Sand Hills scorecard.

By my estimate, the following items are still on offer:

David's book
Scott's book
Kalen's ball mark
JC's book
Adam's scorecard
Sean's choices
Bill's pencils
Jim's Sand Hills scorecard.

I'm not sure how to clean this up.  It's starting to read like a GCA Twelve Days of Christmas.

I suggest: Someone claim David's Golf Architecture Magazine (vol. eight).  That's the last item in the "original" thread.  Once that's claimed, said person should make an offer.  Anyone else who's in on the thread can then slide back in with an acceptance and subsequent offer.

Or, we can just keep going.  It's a stream of goodwill either way.

WW

PS My wife just asked what I'm doing.  I told her.  Neither of us can fathom why I just spent time on this.  Happy holidays!

You can scratch my choices.  The Dornoch booklet is on the way to J Jones.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
 ;DOn the 1st day of christmas, sean arble sent to me...some bark from the torrey pines tree

on the second day of christmas dick daley sent to me...two sand hills pens and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the third day of Christmas mel morrow sent to me...three Old Tom dentures , two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the fourth day of christmas mac plumart sent to me...four tees from Yale, three old tom dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the fifth day of christmas urbina sent to me...fiiiiive tom doak boooooooks, four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the sixth day of christmas jay flemma sent to me...six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the seventh day of christmas ben dewar sent to me...seven shirts form cabot, six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the eighth day of christmas TE Paul sent to me...eight maps from Merion, seven shirts form cabot, six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the ninth day of christmas sir tiger sent to me...nine ladies dancing ;D, eight maps from Merion, seven shirts form cabot, six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the tenth day of christmas that gray guy sent to me...ten pix of mommy,  nine ladies dancing ;D, eight maps from Merion, seven shirts form cabot, six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the 11th day of christmas bob huntley sent to me...eleven cypress point pins, ten pix of mommy,  nine ladies dancing ;D, eight maps from Merion, seven shirts form cabot, six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines tree

on the 12th day of christmas Ran Morrissett sent to me...twelve GCA dorks, eleven cypress point pins, ten pix of mommy,  nine ladies dancing ;D, eight maps from Merion, seven shirts form cabot, six jim engh cart paths, fiiiiive tom doak booooooooks...four tees from yale, three dentures, two sand hills pens, and some bark form the torrey pines treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:16:40 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »

I have nothing to give, but I hope it turns out well. The internet needs more of this type of thing.

Michael, David, Mac and others...
Is there a way for those who think they have nothing to give a way to participate? Perhaps they could make a contribution to Ran instead? Especially for items that may not have already spoken for.

What ya think?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
I've got 2 copies of Perry Maxwell's Prairie Dunes.  It really is a interesting book..I don't have it in front of me, but I think Bill Coore may have written the foreward.  Books are in new condition; just shoot me an IM and I'll try to get them out this week.

Dale

Ed Oden

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
I've got 2 copies of Perry Maxwell's Prairie Dunes.  It really is a interesting book..I don't have it in front of me, but I think Bill Coore may have written the foreward.  Books are in new condition; just shoot me an IM and I'll try to get them out this week.

Dale

Dale, I will take one of the Prairie Dunes books.  In return, I will offer a new Old Macdonald hat with the "OM" logo on the front and "Opening 2010" stitched on the side.

Ed

John Mayhugh

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
I would also like one of the Prairie Dunes books.

I can offer up an extra copy of Shackelford's Grounds for Golf.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »

Dale

Dale, I will take one of the Prairie Dunes books.  In return, I will offer a new Old Macdonald hat with the "OM" logo on the front and "Opening 2010" stitched on the side.

Ed

Ed I'd love the OM hat!

I can offer a Calusa Pines scorecard to the next in line...
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Ed Oden

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »
Patrick, the hat is all yours.  Just shoot me an IM with your address.

Ed

Jim Colton

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
I can offer a blank Sand Hills scorecard.  Mint condition.

I am now in possession of Jim Tang's SH scorecard and and willing to keep it out there if anybody still wants to claim it (I'll even throw in the pink plastic Orchard Valley ball marker that he gave me as well).  Do I feel bad that I spent literally months working on my gift to him and he gave  me items that he got for free?  Of course not!  I'm sad to say this is one of my closest friends. (He did give me a nice framed picture and a bunch of used pro v1x's, so I'm not really complaining).

In the spirit of Christmas and to keep this thread going, I offer up the following items:

- burnt orange Crystal Downs hat (new w/ tags)
- Yardage books galore:
   - Kingsbarns (x2, one w/ scorecard)
   - Blackwolf Run River& Meadow Valleys
   - Ballyneal
   - Arcadia Bluffs
   - The Old Course
   - Carnoustie (x2)

Not claiming anything in return at this point.  One thing that I am looking for is blank scorecards (scanned and e-mail or snail mail) from the following courses:
Inverness Club - Toledo, OH
Scioto Country Club - Columbus, OH
Camargo Club - Indian Hill, OH
Newport Country Club - Newport, RI
Old Sandwich Golf Club - Plymouth, MA
Medinah Country Club (No. 3) - Medinah, IL
Augusta National Golf Club - Augusta, GA
Garden City Golf Club - Garden City, NY
Interlachen Country Club - Edina, MN
Salem Country Club - Peabody, MA
San Francisco Golf Club - San Francisco, CA
Yeamans Hall - Hanahan, SC
Wade Hampton Club - Cashiers, NC
Piping Rock - Locust Valley, NY
Friar's Head - Baiting Hollow, NY
Maidstone Club - East Hampton, NY
Plainfield Country Club - Plainfield, NJ
Boston Golf Club - Hingham, MA
Shoal Creek Golf Course - Shoal Creek, AL
Seminole Golf Club - Juno Beach, FL
Kittansett Club - Marion, MA
The Preserve Golf Club - Carmel, CA
East Lake Golf Club - Atlanta, GA
Holston Hills Country Club - Knoxville, TN
Blackwolf Run (River) - Kohler, WI
National Golf Links of America - Southampton, NY
The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel) - Brookline, MA
Shadow Creek Golf Club - North Las Vegas, NV

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Tony Weiler

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »
Jim, I believe I have a blank Interlachen card that I will scan and e-mail to you. 

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »
Jim,

I'll take the Crystal Downs hat.

I'll add to the list a hardback copy of Chris Santella's 'Fifty Places to Play Golf Before You Die'

I will also mail you some of those scorecards (NGLA, SFGC, Newport, Medinah, East Lake).

Ed Oden

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 12:14:58 PM »
Jim, I have a number of the scorecards you are looking for and will forward when I get a chance.

Ed

Jim Tang

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
In my defense, the framed picture I gave Jim Colton was of him and his smooth swing on apprach at Ballyneal's first hole.  Very sweet picture.  I only gave JC the plastic Orchard Valley ball marker becasue I could not find an equally cheap plastic divot repair tool at the bottom of my golf bag. :)

In all seriousness, JC's book One Divot at a Time is a good read.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
Keep the goodwill flowing, fellas!

Lots of cool stuff trading hands.

WW

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »
Wade, My pristine vintage ANGC scorecard circa 1998 has arrived in time for me to give it to my friend (who 12 years ago donated one of his kidney's to his Dad and sadly died this year) as a bonus Christmas gift. He's a collector of scorecards and is inundated and often impressed with the heeps I can pile onto him. This will undoubtedly be very special to him. Thank you.

David Elvins, I'm embarrassed to say that my pamphlet is nowhere near as pristine as Wade's scorecard. It was in my golf bag for the duration of that trip and I think I marred it with some sun screen.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Colton

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »
Wade, My pristine vintage ANGC scorecard circa 1998 has arrived in time for me to give it to my friend (who 12 years ago donated one of his kidney's to his Dad and sadly died this year) as a bonus Christmas gift. He's a collector of scorecards and is inundated and often impressed with the heeps I can pile onto him. This will undoubtedly be very special to him. Thank you.

David Elvins, I'm embarrassed to say that my pamphlet is nowhere near as pristine as Wade's scorecard. It was in my golf bag for the duration of that trip and I think I marred it with some sun screen.

Adam,

I believe I have said CD booklet in decent condition if you want I can send to David instead.

Jim

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
I've also got a Rock Creek Cattle Club Scorecard for anyone who wants it!!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »
I have IM's David and I'm going to claim David's Elvin's copy of Golf Architecture Volume #8

I will offer up three vintage scorecards in decent condition from

St Davids Golf Club (Wayne PA)
Philadelphia Country Club
Whitemarsh Vallley Country Club.

These cards each have stymie guages which makes me guess they are from 1940's.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

David_Elvins

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »

Not a problem, Adam,  If it makes you feel any better I will smear some ketchup on the magazine I send to Mike.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
I had to search for this thread today.  It's buried too deep!

Anyone out there want any of the items up for offer?  I think there's still goodwill to spread.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back