News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: What's the next big architecture project
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »
Congrats to Tom and Bill! Great news.

JC Jones

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
Holy MOLEY!  A Super course to end all courses, 2 of the greatest designers in the game right now collaborating on a course!

Many congrats; I cannot wait for the details.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »
Tom,

What would it take for Rem Ranch to come back online (aside from someone winning the $92M Power Ball and dedicating it to the project)?

Could it survive as a stand-alone course?

Congrats on FL - looking fwd to locale details and hoping it is near where my parents snow-bird.

JC Jones

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
I'm hoping for somewhere near Naples.  Though if it is, I'm going to be pissed I wasn't asked to come and walk the property today with Tom and Bill so they could get my input. ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
JC - I would second that - the parents place is on Sanibel and this is the type of thing that would get me to fly the family from the PNW to FL once a year (during the winter of course).

Tom - Please tell us it isn't private - and unwalkable - it can't be unwalkable with you and Bill involved (says me with fingers crossed)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
Rob:

It will be a resort.  They won't commit to walking-only, so we'll have to hide some cart paths somehow; but I can assure you it will be walkable, since I walked most of the 36 holes yesterday.  There are really only a couple of green-to-tee walks that you would not characterize as "short" -- those are where the routing makes a loop and crosses back over itself.

JC Jones

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Wow; a resort.  Very interesting.  I wonder if it is up near Panama City; I heard they were trying to develop up there with the new airport and all.

Jonathan Webb

JC Jones

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
That does look promising.  And only 2.5 hrs from me.  Very nice.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »

Selfish.

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JC Jones

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »

Selfish.

Do you think they'll kick me out if I show up on the jobsite with a shovel and a willingness to dig bunkers?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »

Selfish.

Do you think they'll kick me out if I show up on the jobsite with a shovel and a willingness to dig bunkers?

In order for that to work(for you), you'll need a shovel that's actually been used before(go steal one from the neighbors)....and wear some dirty, worn out work gloves(neighbors again)...if they see those soft lawyer hands, they'll kick ya to the curb!

But if you do go to help, and they let you...take pictures. We'd all be jealous!

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »

Selfish.

In order for that to work(for you), you'll need a shovel that's actually been used before(go steal one from the neighbors)....and wear some dirty, worn out work gloves(neighbors again)...if they see those soft lawyer hands, they'll kick ya to the curb!

But if you do go to help, and they let you...take pictures. We'd all be jealous!

;D

Are you saying I'm not rugged?

I figure in this economy, free labor (soft lawyer hands or not) is better than nothing....then again, i've been known to overestimate myself in the past...

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »
A top 50 course in China. No problem.

If this doesn't happen in the next 5 years I can honestly say we all failed you. There are just too many good sites and too many good architects over here now (All of them!).

Hainan Island in China will have one of the greatest concentrations of quality golf courses anywhere on the planet. At the very least it will act as a showcase for the work of today's architects.

So the next big architecture project is........ China!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »

Ryan,
Why do you think this hasn't happened yet?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

Ryan,
Why do you think this hasn't happened yet?
Cheers

Mike, I just don't think there has been a top 50 site to work on. Of course the other big factor is clients, some have a distorted view of what constitutes a great golf course, which can really constrain a creative architect. But the good thing about China is repeat business from clients. Once you deliver for them there is more trust that you can deliver again. Which makes things a bit more interesting for everyone.

I also think another big factor is the lack of attention from big name designers. Lets face it, its a long long flight, less good people on the ground, less attention, its just not a recipe for a truly outstanding product. Too many projects mailed in, bottom line.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 02:22:06 AM »
Rob:

It will be a resort.  They won't commit to walking-only, so we'll have to hide some cart paths somehow; but I can assure you it will be walkable, since I walked most of the 36 holes yesterday.  There are really only a couple of green-to-tee walks that you would not characterize as "short" -- those are where the routing makes a loop and crosses back over itself.

(Insert Happy Dance Here!!!)

As long as walking will be a viable option that is spectacular - the spirit of BDGR in FL - it can't get any better than that. Kudos to the developer for pursuing this type of project - hopefully it is a sign of things to come as the economy starts to recover (probably wishful thinking but one can dream).

Can't wait to visit, already, even if it will be a couple of years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back