News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

Gil Hanse, Architect
« on: December 11, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
I’ve had the honor and pleasure to work with Gil Hanse on a number of projects over the past few years and I can’t say enough about him as an architect, as a person and of course as a friend.

He is the one that afforded me the opportunity to actually build a course in 1999, which lead to even more exciting opportunities for me.

His talents are many and his creative juices keep surfacing at a rapid rate.

If he has not reached it already, I think he is fast rising to the upper echelon of today’s golf course architects.

Golf Magazine’s Architect of the Year: Gil Hanse

We are all very proud of you, Gil, but not many are more proud of you than I am.

Congratulations -       George Bahto
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

JC Jones

Re: Gil Hanse, Architect
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
Im sure many congrats are in order.

For clarification purposes, what goes in to determining "Architect of the Year" and what did Gil open this past year (I know Prairie Club is next year, right?).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
True artistry can be found in the fine lines of a pen and ink drawing or the rugged lines of a bunker edge. Our palette has upon it an abundance and variety of plants, grasses, and landforms, which provide our designs with unmatched textures, colors, and character.

From hansegolfdesign.com
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:39:08 PM »
Congrats to Mr. Hanse!

Anyone visiting the Scottish Highlands should not miss Castle Stuart, one of his most recent projects.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »
Congratulations to Gil! I was reading my Golf mag last night and it appears that his work at Castle Stuart is what pushed him to the top of the list. Anyone who can finish off a platter of fried clams at Davy's Locker and then wash it down with a few brews at the Dipper is OK in my book! Keep up the good work Gil and please come build us a Rustic Canyon in San Diego.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Michael J. Moss

Re: Gil Hanse, Architect New
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
Congratulations Gil!

I have two close friends who on their first trip to Scotland to play (this coming summer) have included Castle Stuart on their rota of courses. Says a lot.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:10:38 AM by Michael J. Moss »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »
Very nice note, George.

The first course I ever played in Scotland was, ironically, the course designed by Gil Hanse at Crail, the Craighead.  A day at Crail on those two courses is a great experience in contrasts.

And like everyone else, I'm a big fan of Rustic Canyon.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
Very nice note, George.

The first course I ever played in Scotland was, ironically, the course designed by Gil Hanse at Crail, the Craighead.  A day at Crail on those two courses is a great experience in contrasts.

And I'm a big fan of Soule Park.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Will MacEwen

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »
Looks like the Union Bay project is slowly clearing hurdles.  There was a favourable third reading on the proposed development last night.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
Gil Hanse is not afraid to take chances with his work.  There is a certain "randomness" to many of the features on his courses that make them unique, interesting, and most importantly......fun to play.

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »
His restoration work at Monroe, CC of Rocherter, Taconic & Kittansett are phenomenal as is his new design's at French Creek & Rustic.

It was sad to see him not get the big job in Valentine. It would have been really cool to see what he could do on a stage like that.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
Very nice note, George.

And I'm a big fan of Soule Park.
 ;D

You're right, Garland, forgot Souie Park.  Very nice work there.  I was thinking more of new courses but that is a good remodel.

I've been trying to put the beat down out of my mind for months now.   ;)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
One can't say enough good things about Gil Hanse.  I've met few architects like him.  No ego and a real gentleman.  Quick story; Gil was contacted not long ago by a club that I had done a master plan for in New Jersey.  There was a committee change (pretty common in this business) and the new group wanted to consider doing a new plan.  Gil called me up, we met and reviewed my master plan, he thought it was great, and told the club he'd only be interested in working there if we worked with that plan and did the job together.  I can count on one hand (or less) the number of architects that would do something like this.

Gil deserves all the acolades he can get.  He is a class act (and golf REALLY needs that right now)!
Mark

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
I have nothing for this highest praise for Gil and his firm.  

Other than the fact that he's a Mets fan, he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

He's given me something of value I can never underestimate - a helluva golf course that I get to play anytime I want.  A golf course that's never ending fun.  Full of strategy.  Has some quirk.  Always brings a smile. What else do you need?

He's also done some wonderful things for our club in the last couple of years that I won't go into here.  

I've also spoken with people at the Rochester, NY Ross gems, Monroe CC and Country Club of Rochester that loved his restoration work.  

Congrats to Gil and Hanse Golf Course Design!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:17:59 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
Im sure many congrats are in order.

For clarification purposes, what goes in to determining "Architect of the Year" and what did Gil open this past year (I know Prairie Club is next year, right?).
JC,

You have heard of Castle Stuart?

Gil is one of the quiet unsung architects of the world.  Not great on marketing, not great shouting how good he is but just lets the dozer do the talking.

Congratulations.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »
I haven't met Gil but have seen his work.
Congratulations Gil,
Mike Y
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Norbert P

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »
Hats off ! to Bill Kittleman, Jim Wagner, the associates, and Gil Hanse.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
I'd like to add the following from Mike Cirba, and second it as well:

I couldn't be any happier for Gil, Jim, Mr. Kittleman, and the rest of his team.

They are truly creatively superb and emotionally committed to what they do and the award is well-justified and probably overdue.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
That's great to hear. Congratulations to Gil Hanse, Bill Kittleman and Jim Nagle---and of course the real brains behind the whole operation---Andrea Lynch! 

;)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
Congratulations to Gil.

He is our keeper of the flame on the Shore course at MPCC. Gil, you have a tough task on hand.

Bob

Kyle Henderson

Re: Gil Hanse, Architect New
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 12:17:15 AM »
Congratulations, Mr. Hanse. May future commissions bring you to my neighborhood and then to Bandon!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:25:18 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back