News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Re: Starting Fri, 12/11 - Get To Know Charlie Goerges
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »

Charlie,

What a bad time for a GTK thread with Tiger running around like a dog with two peters.

Let's see those two daughters....As a father there is nothing greaterb in the world.

Lily:

Molly:

If I had another child I would take another girl over a boy, without a thought. What are your Xmass plans?

Go to my parents, grandparents etc. Both drives are less than 15 minutes.

Have you been to Disney yet?

No, no immediate plans to go either.

As a 30 year old...What are your first memories of professional golf?

Fred Couples, Nick Faldo, Greg Norman, and Golf Digest.

What is your favorite club in your bag?

Honestly, I like all of them pretty well, except for hitting my 3-wood off the ground.

Anthony

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 11:26:17 PM »

Charlier,

Can you read a topo map?

I can pretty well. It just takes practice. There is nothing magical about that. Now, being able to route a course over it, that's the magic.

What is your dream golf job?

Wow, good question. I really don't know. I'd like to do something with the artwork that I do. But dream job? Maybe USGA Executive Director. Then I could take the tournaments to the courses that I'd like to see them at.

Whatb is your handicap?

I've never carried one, but I've calculated it myself a few times. The last few years it's been between 7-10 index.

Wiith your computer skills, can you create photos that will make my wsife leave me....................Please.

Sure. You want her to leave you out of pity, disgust, or good old-fashioned malice?

Anthony

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 11:51:01 PM »
What do you attribute your striking good looks too? Genes? Grooming? Plastic Surgery?

Beer goggles on whoever thinks I have striking good looks.

Is it true that Jordan Wall sent you a spiteful IM when he discovered you were the new babe magnet of the site.

The only babes I attract are those pictured above.

I need help with sleeping some nights. Could you send me some of your writing to help with that?

It's all right here for your perusal. And if it doesn't put you to sleep, you need more help than I can offer.

Are you going to partner with a ringer again in the armchair contest?

I'll let you know once I've locked up 5th place again.

Keep up the good work and help us all forget that Tom Paul even posts to this site.

If TEP would compete in the Armchair Arch contest, he would enter that Zen-like state in studying the topos and would consequently get more relaxed, happy, and achieve a better understanding of architecture.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 01:14:17 AM »
Charlie,

Missing my round with you and Tommy is my only regret from the summer trip. Hanging out with you was one of the highlights!

Cheers, Jeff

P.S. Love your work and look forward to a round(s) in the future.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 01:31:24 AM »
I will try to add more personal info on Charlie shortly, but in the meantime, you are to think up questions for this valued poster.

-----

George,

You are remiss in not informing the group that Charlie engages in armchair architecture contests with someone named Tom Doak.

I fully expect him to either recruit C&C or A&W to partner with him this year. Probably we will be designing Predator Ridge with him stealing half of Ian's design.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 02:13:26 AM »
Charlie, thanks for all your time and effort running those contests.  I think it is great for those on GCA.com to have that sort of hobby outlet to express their design ideas.  It really gets at the heart of the passion underlying most people's participation here. 

But to be honest, I started to fiddle with the drawing program you gave us to download, and pox on me, I let it become too tedious.  Or, another way of saying that is I got lazy to figure it out.  But, I sure applaud the effort a number of participants here made.  It really was some of the best stuff we've had on GCA in a long time, IMHO.

I am going to assume you've seen a number of the old GCA books and the graph square drawings made by various archies of the by gone era.  Do you have a favorite pen and ink graph box hole drawing archie?

Have you used a topo to go out on specific land with the map and walk potential routings and note various terrain features?

And some Anthony style questions...

Hockey or basketball?

Fazio or Rees?

Parkland or sand hills?

Streams or ponds?

Square tees or free form?

Crisp edges or hairy lips?

Red, Burr, White, or Pin oak?

Oak or Maple?

Coniferous or deciduous?

Punch's or Pizza Luna?  8) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
Charlie, thanks for all your time and effort running those contests.  I think it is great for those on GCA.com to have that sort of hobby outlet to express their design ideas.  It really gets at the heart of the passion underlying most people's participation here. 

You're welcome, and I agree that it's a good outlet. I also think it's quite a lot of fun.

But to be honest, I started to fiddle with the drawing program you gave us to download, and pox on me, I let it become too tedious.  Or, another way of saying that is I got lazy to figure it out.  But, I sure applaud the effort a number of participants here made.  It really was some of the best stuff we've had on GCA in a long time, IMHO.

Again thanks, and I'm planning on making sketchup a bit less central to the contest this next time.

I am going to assume you've seen a number of the old GCA books and the graph square drawings made by various archies of the by gone era.  Do you have a favorite pen and ink graph box hole drawing archie?

I like any of them that I can find. That said, seeing the individual hole drawings for Merion by William Flynn on the USGA architecture archive was quite impressive. He (or his draughtsman) used an interesting method of showing the ground contours that was quite effective.

Have you used a topo to go out on specific land with the map and walk potential routings and note various terrain features?

I have, on my family's land. But just to see what was out there and how accurate the maps were, no real routings or anything like that have been done.

And some Anthony style questions...

Hockey or basketball?

These days, neither. But I've played both.

Fazio or Rees?

I've played neither, but when I do judgement will be swift and sure.  ;)

Parkland or sand hills?

I've not played anywhere that could be described as sand hills, but my thought in seeing the photos is that would be my kind of golf.

Streams or ponds?

Streams, if for no other reason than they are prettier and harder to hit.

Square tees or free form?

No real preference, as long as I can get a tee in the ground.

Crisp edges or hairy lips?

I get to play so little these days, I'll take whatever I can get.

Red, Burr, White, or Pin oak?

As a woodworker I'll take white oak.

Oak or Maple?

A mixture creates a nice mottled look in the fall.

Coniferous or deciduous?

In my neck of the woods Coniferous tend to denote a nice, light, sandy soil. But ancient hardwoods just have a look.

Punch's or Pizza Luna?  8) ;D

I've only had Punch's, so I'll have to say that (good crust). But my favorite place to eat was kitty-corner from Punch's, Cecil's Deli. The best sandwiches in the twin cities, bar none.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
I will try to add more personal info on Charlie shortly, but in the meantime, you are to think up questions for this valued poster.

-----

George,

You are remiss in not informing the group that Charlie engages in armchair architecture contests with someone named Tom Doak.

I fully expect him to either recruit C&C or A&W to partner with him this year. Probably we will be designing Predator Ridge with him stealing half of Ian's design.

Yes, my design associate on the last contest has moved on to better things. I hear he's doing pretty well.

If I only manage to steal half of Ian's design, I've really fallen down on the job.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
Charlie,

Missing my round with you and Tommy is my only regret from the summer trip. Hanging out with you was one of the highlights!

Cheers, Jeff

P.S. Love your work and look forward to a round(s) in the future.

Thanks Jeff, and same here. And like I said, I think I found the cure for the common hangover in those mountains.

Jason Topp

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
Charlie:

Where do you live and where do you play?

What is your favorite Minnesota course?

The Classic - thumb up or down?

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 02:09:54 PM »
Have you played any of Jeff Brauer's Minnesota courses?

Thanks for the pix.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »
Charlie:

Where do you live and where do you play?

I live in Breezy Point which is about 20 minutes north of Brainerd. I play the grand view courses fairly regularly and  Whitefish Golf Club (not a private club). To my detriment I've not played much the last couple of years.

What is your favorite Minnesota course?

I fear that I haven't played enough different courses for this to be a meaningful statement, but I like Deacon's Lodge, which is quite close to my home. It has more wetland in play than I'd like, but for me it isn't too difficult because I hit it pretty straight. I've toured the Quarry at Giant's Ridge. That looks like a lot of fun to play because it has a combination of several half-par holes and some quirk.

The Classic - thumb up or down?

One of many that I've not seen. I've heard it's the best in the area, I hope to get out there next season.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
Have you played any of Jeff Brauer's Minnesota courses?

Thanks for the pix.

I haven't, though I have toured the Quarry which does look good.

Oh by the way, I'll post a photo of myself. Folks may have seen this one, but I just love it so much that I'll trot it out again!

My dad and me holding the "Industrial Cup":

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back