News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Re: The Morcoms
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
Is there an answer to my question about why the bunkers at Metropolitan are so cut so deeply into the greens while those at RM and KH are not quite the same?  Were all designed or inspired by Mackenzie and Russell and built by Morcom?  If so, why that difference?

I loved the look of those bunkers at Metropolitan when I saw them on TV a few years ago.

Thanks.

Bill,

Interestingly, it would seem that Mackenzie might have been responsible for the look of the Metro bunkering, albeit in an indirect way.  

In his course review he writes the following: "Of course it has its defects, what links does not? The main fault is the bunkers are too far away from the greens they are intended to protect.  Again I would like to stress the point that bunkers surrounding greens should be imediately on the edge of them".  

It would seem that the committee at Metropolitan (who had been doing major renovations in the 5 years before Mackenzie arrived) took his advice very literally.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:58:56 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Warwick Loton

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »
I have just got my copy of John Scarth's book on The Morcoms back from a friend.
It seems the book is limited to 200 copies only, with mine (#172) purchased several years ago.

Also, it appears neither Mick nor Vern ever worked at Metropolitan Golf Club in any official capacity,
not at least according to Scarth's book.

Matthew

The Scarth book indicates that the Morcoms did work at Metro in 1936 and in 1946.

The initial reference (p14) doesn’t specify the nature of either engagement. A later reference (p48) to the 1936 job mentions the completion of work on the “new 6th hole”. (Mick was still alive at this time.) Then there’s a reference (p50) to Vern being commissioned in 1946 “to consult on bunkering at its new 15th hole and report on all greens”. That 15th hole no longer exists.

(I don’t know Metro’s history well, but presume this “new 6th” was the little par-3 that disappeared in the Dick Wilson overhaul (circa 1959), and which has been reincarnated over the last year by Mike Clayton. It’s possible the 1936 work was done to prepare Metro to host that year’s Australian Open.)

David_Elvins

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 07:32:41 PM »
I'm not sure anyone can answer that question for you, hence the absence of a discussion or direct reply on it. The Metropolitan course was open for play in 1908, and was designed by J B MacKenzie. I'm not sure who would have done the construction, and I'm equally unsure as to the presence, appearance and nature of the bunkering at that time. As you can now understand, it was in play for more than 15 years prior to Alister MacKenzie's visit. I doubt Mick Morcom was involved with Metro at the infancy of the course.

Whether bunkers with an 'appetite' were part of the original design, or if such a scheme later evolved, I don't know.

MattM,

JB Mackenzie's plan is in the clubhouse at Metro.  It is a really interesting document but very "old school" in its design.  Lots of cross bunkers, 'hurdles' and flanking bunkers set back from greens.  The committee started redesigning the ocurse to 'championship standards' aroun 1920 and A-Mac gave them further advice which they followed.  As stated in my post above, A-Mac gave them major advice to move the bunkers closer to the greens but it is hard to say if they were already doing this on the holes they had worked on, which apparently he viewed favourably. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 03:21:14 AM »
Neil,
That 1945 photo is one of the most amazing in Australian golf.
The courses are largely intact at that point - and they look fantastic.

The old 6th - the par 3 - at Metro has an interesting history.
In that MacKenzie map the green is opposite the fairway bunker at the 4th.
It was then moved back and the green was close to what was the 7th tee - now the 6th.
It was abanboned when Wilson did his redesign because there was an understanding Windsor ave (between Huntingdale and Metro) was to be widened. It was planned to move the 5th across (meaning the 6th was in the way) and Wilson presumably added an extra hole amongst his new 7 on the back nine.
The road widening never happened - and never will - and 5 remained intact.

We have just rebuilt a hole where the second version was that will be used as the 19th.

And, I have played 11 now for 35 years and have never had that putt around the bunker!!

James Bennett

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:24 AM »
Mark P (NZ) posted this a few years ago.  Great old overhead of Yarra Yarra pre tree regrowth.

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Warwick Loton

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 05:39:28 AM »
Neil,

The old 6th - the par 3 - at Metro has an interesting history.
In that MacKenzie map the green is opposite the fairway bunker at the 4th.
It was then moved back and the green was close to what was the 7th tee - now the 6th.

Mike,

Presumably it was the Morcoms who moved the old 6th in 1936. Do you know why the hole was moved, and what other work (if any) was done at that time?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 05:45:28 AM »
Clayts
Thanks for rubbing it in re the 11th. My excuse is that I didn't know the pin was that far back, but while it was only an average shot it is still a little hard to accept that you have to putt away from the hole! Made an easy four though.

Yes, saw your little new spare hole next to the 5th green there and it looks like a real cutie. Nice to be able to put it in a place where there was a hole previously.

That 1945 aerial is amazing and a time machine to go back and see how all those courses looked then would be incredible.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 06:48:54 AM »
Neil
You mentioned earlier info about Lane, and I'd certainly be interested in a separate thread on Lane.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »
Tom
I will try and get the article I have on Lane scanned and put up as a new thread. Think people might find it interesting. I am sure there is a lot on him in the Commonwealth GC history book but I don't have a copy of it myself.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2009, 07:23:21 AM »
[The Scarth book indicates that the Morcoms did work at Metro in 1936 and in 1946.

The initial reference (p14) doesn’t specify the nature of either engagement. A later reference (p48) to the 1936 job mentions the completion of work on the “new 6th hole”. (Mick was still alive at this time.) Then there’s a reference (p50) to Vern being commissioned in 1946 “to consult on bunkering at its new 15th hole and report on all greens”. That 15th hole no longer exists.

Warwick, you are indeed correct.
My apologies.

I looked in the list of courses under M for Metropolitan, and failed to see the course, listed under T for The Metropolitan Golf Club, on the following page.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ian Andrew

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
If anyone is willing to part with either the John Scarth Book or the book by Claude Crockford, I am willing to pay a handsome price for them.

I think they would be very helpful to my continuing education in architecture.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
John Scarth tells me that he has just two copies of his book on the Morcoms remaining. Anyone still interested can email or IM me and I can give you John's email address.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back