News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Privilege Has Its Memberships
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »

I was cleaning out my emails last night and came across one in which I was offered well intended advice. I was told that my behavior on the site makes groups ostracize me. It was well taken as ment and accepted as true. It brought back a memory of when I was considered for membership in an old prominant dental society. I had been fortunate early on to be around some very prominant men in my profession. The right place at the right time. None of these men practice now and a few have past. But it was rumored that I was being considerd for invitation because of these men I had befriended. I did zero politicing and layed low. Nothing ever came about. Then a few years ago I was told that the reason it was droped was a professor from my university had brought up (half truths) my interracial marriage.
  Now in recent threads about Tiger it has been discussed how the latest news will affect him professionally. It looks that Tiger will be designing more courses than winning majors. How will he be accepted in the architect community. Will groups like the ASGCA accept him and want to rub shoulders with the great one or will they ostracize him?

Anthony

jeffwarne

Re: Privilege Has Its Memberships
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
I'm guessing that in the near future he wins more majors than designing courses.
Few are being designed and more qualified and marketable people are and will be available for the few that get designed
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

I was cleaning out my emails last night and came across one in which I was offered well intended advice. I was told that my behavior on the site makes groups ostracize me. It was well taken as ment and accepted as true. It brought back a memory of when I was considered for membership in an old prominant dental society. I had been fortunate early on to be around some very prominant men in my profession. The right place at the right time. None of these men practice now and a few have past. But it was rumored that I was being considerd for invitation because of these men I had befriended. I did zero politicing and layed low. Nothing ever came about. Then a few years ago I was told that the reason it was droped was a professor from my university had brought up (half truths) my interracial marriage.
  Now in recent threads about Tiger it has been discussed how the latest news will affect him professionally. It looks that Tiger will be designing more courses than winning majors. How will he be accepted in the architect community. Will groups like the ASGCA accept him and want to rub shoulders with the great one or will they ostracize him?

Anthony

Is it possible you weren't invited because you're a whacko?

Just wondering.   ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »
Now just hold on a minute here, Tone! Are you trying to compare the membership of the ASGCA to some private club of privelege or whatever because if you are the ASGCA definitely does not like that kind of categorization or perception?!  ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »

Anthony

Just wondering.   ;)

I told them you were my DAD Bill.  ;D Your number one in my book.

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »
I heard a good membership story involving one of the exclusive golf clubs of Nantucket and the Blockbuster king Wayne Huizenga (I think it's been a while ago now). WayneH asked some member if he thought he could get into the club and what the initiation fee was and the member told Wayne it was about $300,000. On the question of whether Wayne could get in the member told him he would check. And so he did check, and the member told Wayne that yes he could get in but for him the initiation fee was right around $1 million. I think Wayne, said; "no problem at all, sign me up." If you ask me that's a whole lot smarter than a couple of goddamn $2.00 blackballs! What the hell----everybody has their price, right? On that note, I would even suggest to WayneM that if MacWood and Moriarty want to throw their change together and contribute right around $10 million each to like a capital fund at Merion that he oughta sponsor them both himself for membership! ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:01:31 PM by TEPaul »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »
I heard a good membership story involving one of the exclusive golf clubs of Nantucket and the Blockbuster king Wayne Huizenga (I think it's been a while ago now). WayneH asked some member if he thought he could get into the club and what the initiation fee was and the member told Wayne it was about $300,000. On the question of whether Wayne could get in the member told him he would check. And so he did check, and the member told Wayne that yes he could get in but for him the initiation fee was right around $1 million. I think Wayne, said; "no problem at all, sign me up." If you ask me that's a whole lot smarter than a couple of goddamn $2.00 blackballs!  ;)

Since this thread is a little related to my job let me add this to Tom's story. When patients come into my office I do an exam. The patients usually ask "How much?". I routinly reply "$3,000". If they don't flinch...I say "That is for the uppers".

Anthony Ray Gray DMD PC GCA

Tony Petersen

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 03:02:55 AM »
Personally, I think El Tigre is going to have a H U G E chip on his shoulder and kick some serious azz this upcoming year... It's a TMZ world we live in, but he'll live... and easily break Jacks record. Dude definitely likes the ladies, though. Shoulda married a swinger ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:05:43 AM by Tony Petersen »
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »

Anthony

Just wondering.   ;)

I laughed out loud, good one Bill

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
"Since this thread is a little related to my job let me add this to Tom's story. When patients come into my office I do an exam. The patients usually ask "How much?". I routinly reply "$3,000". If they don't flinch...I say "That is for the uppers"."

Well, Tone, if I came into your office and you told me that I would figure you meant the initiation fee of your golf club. If you then told me that was only for the front nine, I still might consider it, but, on the other half of the bite, maybe not.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:29:36 AM by TEPaul »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
I am not sure what the real purpose of this thread is, but I heard a membership story from a former chair of the green committee at LACC that I found amusing.

It seems that Hugh Hefner, shortly after he bought his mansion that adjoined the North course, made it be known to the club that he would consider membership if he was allowed to use the area next to his backyard to land his chopper.  The club sat on his statement of interest for the appropriate time and responded with something short and to the effect: "We appreciate your interest, but doubt that our club could provide you with the level of service you would be happy with."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back