News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Hollywood Golf Club, NJ
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
I was doing some research and came across a brochure for seed, featuring this picture of the Hollywood Golf Club in New Jersey.  Their website notes it is a Travis design that was completely restored by Rees Jones in 1998 (restoration + RJ = oxymoron?).

The picture shows some interesting features, neat looking bunkering and a lot of movement in the greens.

Can anyone fill in the blanks?  Was it good?  Is it still?  Did Jones really restore it or renovate it?
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Hollywood Golf Club, NJ
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »
I've never been there, but I've heard some great things about the place. One of the oldest clubs around. Its supposed to be more of a sporty course, rather than your "penal" or "strategic".

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dale Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:52:31 PM »
Thanks Steve.

It seems to have been quite a course.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »
I recall a few years back somebody posting an old aerial of Hollywood, and it looked pretty awesome. The Heinz 57 hole may very well have had THAT many bunkers. Hopefully somebody can dig it up.

TK

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »
I know that they are looking for a new Superintendent....

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:08 AM »
I know that they are looking for a new Superintendent....

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL

They hired Michael Broome from Saucon Valley Country Club.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »
Although I don't believe it would be accurate to refer to what Rees Jones did as a restoration, the course is still very good. At one time the course has close to 200 hundred bunkers, if not more (of all shapes and sizes), and it probably has only about half that number today. The original course has to go down as one of the most extraordinarily bunkered courses in history. Another difference between the course then and today, as you can see in the picture much of the property was open and treeless. Today its a more conventional course with the holes lined with trees.

In 1926 the magazine Metropolitan Golfer asked amateurs and pros to rate the best courses in the country, Bill Reekie rated Hollywood #2 after PVGC and before #3 Oakmont;  Johnny Farrell rated Hollywood #2 behind Quaker Ridge (his home course) and before #3 Lido.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:35:28 AM »
Great course still, well worth seeing.

Here is the aerial:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:38:59 AM by Ian Andrew »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
Kelly,

I can't remember the age, but your correct the aerial I posted is quite old.

The image in the locker room is even better, but I did not have a camera to take a photo of it.
It shows how angular and expansive the bunker was.

(now I finally have a good question to ask you on the other thread)   :)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »
Hollywood is a great golf course, less than a mile from the Ocean (read breezes), with probably the top 5 green complexes in the state.

The photo in the Men's Locker room is spectacular.

I can't imagine the golf course, as depicted in that photo, being played by an average membership.

Rees Jones didn't do anything to the golf course that the members didn't want.

He made significant improvements in several holes, including the 14th which is exponentially better.

Hollywood continues to make improvements.

KBM,  I too would like to see more bunkering restored, but, I don't thing the broad spectrum of the membership could handle a course of that difficulty.

I don't particularly like the new 17th, but, maybe it will grow on me over the next 50 years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back