News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Golf near in/around Monterey for under $100
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »
Me and my buddy are gonna watch Wednesday and Thursday of the U.S. Open this coming year. We will probably only have time for one round, any suggestions?

(Yes, I know there are many courses we should be playing around there, but we're just looking for the inexpensive alternative.)

Adam Clayman

Re: Golf near in/around Monterey for under $100
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
There's only one real choice if value is added into the equation.

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/pacificgrove
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
Pacific Grove is certainly worth playing.

The afternoon & twilight rates at the Ft. Ord courses (Bayonet and Black Horse) come in under $100. Bayonet should probably be your 1st choice.

http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »
It NEVER gets mentioned, and I know it's somewhat overpriced, but I really enjoy Old Del Monte. It's a very fun course that, comparatively speaking, is more economical than most of it's competition. I'd rather play there than Poppy, and honestly, Spyglass as well, when value for money is part of the equation.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
Pacific Grove is certainly worth playing.

The afternoon & twilight rates at the Ft. Ord courses (Bayonet and Black Horse) come in under $100. Bayonet should probably be your 1st choice.

http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/

Personally, I would go to Pac Grove before Bayonet. 

Having siad that, my recommendation would be to play 9 holes each at Passatiempo.  Best thing you could do with $100 each.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
Which is the better of Bayonet / Blackhorse? On the chance we may only get to play one.

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »
I would pay $100 to not have to play either of them.  But that may be just me!
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
In Monterey: Pacific Grove

Around Monterey: As David said - double up for Pasatiempo

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

Parking for the US Open is likely to be on the Ft. Ord property, at least it was at the last Open, and you are bused to Pebble Beach.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:43 PM »
Anyone know if Cypress Point will let you walk the course? Doubtful I know... ::)

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »
(Aptos) Seascape GC, near Santa Cruz, is another inexpensive and worthwhile option. I believe GCA-er Pete Galea is the super there.

http://www.seascapegc.com/

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:35 PM »
(Aptos) Seascape GC, near Santa Cruz, is another inexpensive and worthwhile option. I believe GCA-er Pete Galea is the super there.

Pete is the super at Pajaro Valley ... a better, and closer choice to the Monterey area ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »

Pete Galea runs Pajaro Dunes and is a must on the affordability index. A very attractive golf course with first class greens.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »

Unless Pete moved just recently, he is still super at Pajaro Valley, between Monterey and Santa Cruz, and the best value in the area.

http://www.pajarovalleygolf.com/

Great greens, solid layout, excellent conditions.

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
Re: Pete Galea, my mistake and thank for the correction. ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:44 PM »
Anyone know if Cypress Point will let you walk the course? Doubtful I know... ::)

LOL

Alex Miller

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »

LOL

Thanks Bill,

More specifically is there any way to make that happen? Do you have to know a member or are there any other means? Are there any good trails with views of the course at the very least?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »

LOL

Thanks Bill,

More specifically is there any way to make that happen? Do you have to know a member or are there any other means? Are there any good trails with views of the course at the very least?

If you know a member it's not a problem!

I don't even know if they let you walk the 17 Mile Drive which goes in front of the 1st tee and south along the 14th fairway, 15th, 16th - Bob Huntley is the best advisor on this, he lives in the area.  Adam Clayman is also very familiar.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 11:09:09 PM »
Poppy Hills is fun - don't know if it will be under $100 during US Open week though.

Pacific Grove is an obvious choice.

Pasatiempo is a wonderful option.  Highly recommend spending a little extra to play it - after all, you're going to the Open anyways.

Bottom line, if your going to the Open, you might as well dish out a little extra money to play a quality course - especially considering the Monterey area, one of the most expensive areas for golf in the world.  In the case you didn't mind throwing out some extra money, play Pasatiempo or Spyglass if that is booked.

Cheers,
Jordan

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »

Alex,

It has been done but it helps if you are from Australia ot Matabeleland.

Bob

Alex Miller

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 11:38:07 PM »

Alex,

It has been done but it helps if you are from Australia ot Matabeleland.

Bob

Are there a lot of people from Zimbabwe interested in golf? ;D

I'll have to forge a passport I guess...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »
Alex,

Call the Head Professional at CPC, tell him of your interest in architecture and just ask his permission to do a walk-thru at any ungodly  time that is convenient to him and the club. You might be surprised.

Bob

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
How does a thread go from inquiring about low cost golfing to asking for a walk around CPC?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »
I would also second Daves suggestion in Old Del Monte....I was very pleasantly surprised by what was there.

Another that hasn't been mentioned is Monterey Pines.  I don't know for sure, but I've heard they recently did some work on the course and its supposed to be alot better now in terms of conditioning.

As for Pete's course, I would also highly recommend it...a terrific value and some very cool holes and greens to be found out there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
How does a thread go from inquiring about low cost golfing to asking for a walk around CPC?

Hopefully the walk will also be low cost!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back