News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Chambers Bay............Hole 6
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »

Par4   447 from back tee. Slight uphill dog leg right. Well protected green. Green has backstop.

Mounding frames the hole and is great for spectators. Most likly not ment to be in play.

Anthony

Michael Dugger

Re: Chambers Bay............Hole 6
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
For such a long hole, I always thought this was a very tight greens complex.

No room to miss anywhere...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
A look from the 2nd weekend it was open (the actual date taken was 1 Jul  :P):

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
What is the yardage from the tips to the turning point on the right ?

Is there anything that prevents the player from reaching the 6th by playing up the adjacent fairway to the right ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »

Is there anything that prevents the player from reaching the 6th by playing up the adjacent fairway to the right ?

Matt,

I Knew you were going to ask that. Guide says 254 to reach right corner and 278 left side. Not a driver hole. 280 down the middle leaves you with 150 to the middle of the grren. Cutting the corner doesn't realy help. Even from the member tees a driver puts you through the fairway. Note photo. A nice short hole. The poison is in the head.

Anthony

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »

You could hit it on the adjacent hole but it would make the second shot totally blind. This is a tough hole, one of my favorites there. I do think its a driver hole from the back tees, as the normal breeze is into you from the right. Long way to trouble on the left.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
All these images of Garland hitting from the hay and nobody wants to comment on the playability of the hole.

280 yd drive leaves 150 in.

Well, how about a 230 drive leaves 200 in?

200 yds into that target??? 

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »
All these images of Garland hitting from the hay and nobody wants to comment on the playability of the hole.

280 yd drive leaves 150 in.

Well, how about a 230 drive leaves 200 in?

200 yds into that target??? 

That is not from our tee. I hit my driver 230 and hit it through the fairway. The play into the green may be long. It takes the bunkers out of play and makes use of the backstop. The framing does have irish appeal.

Anthony

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 05:37:42 PM »
A great risk/reward short hole with a sexy, sexy green site.

You really want to leave the tee shot about 150 to 160 yards short of the hole so that you don't tempt with the monds on the left and bunkers on the right (which is dead, by the way). But if you thread a nice 3 wood, this hole becomes very simple.

Love the greenside bunkers.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Even with a 9 iron the approach is heart-pounding.

A well placed drive is paramount for success - whether it is a hybrid, 3 wood or driver you need to be in the fairway and looking straight at the green.

The bunkers are bad ass - too be avoided! The sneaky good miss is little long, although chipping back down the green is not easy.

A weak drive leaving a long iron into this green is a nightmare, Michael is right on that one, especially if there is wind, believe me I know (and so does Rich - I wish we had a photo of me trying to chip down from the hill on the right side - that was hilarious!).

The run of 5/6/7 is very challenging and different skills are called for - although all three approaches are uphill - which is something that can get tiring on a "links" course. Three pars is in a row is very chapeau.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »

Rob,

I agree the mis is a little long to avoid the bunkers and take advantage of the backstop. Which is part genius because not many holes have the better play long. This course is blessed with great variety of par 4's. seldom having similiar approach shots. Great overall design.

Anthony

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
Hardest second shot on the course, I think. I think they are building new tees here as well.

BVince

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
This is my favorite hole on the course.  The tee shot really tempts the long hitters to hug the right side of the fairway bringing the large mounds in to play with very little reward.  There is ample room to the left side of the fairways but it does leave a slightly longer approach.  Wonderful green site and if you think this hole is hard, it is setting you up for the absolutely brutal 7th.  The miss into the green may favor an approach to the back but that can leave a tricky put, especially as they expect to quicken the green speeds near a 10 next year for the US AM and preparation for the Open.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back