News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Clearview Golf Club - Canton, OH
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »
It's a very historic golf course.  Has anyone played it?  Can it survive?

From their web site:
When Bill Powell encountered racial discrimination on the golf course after returning home from World War II, he decided to build his own place to play, one where people of all colors would be welcome.  In 1946 he established Clearview Golf Club in East Canton, Ohio: America's Course.

With the help of his children and his late wife, Marcella, "Mr. P" carved nine holes out of farmland while working nights as a security guard. He opened Clearview to the public in 1948 and in 1978 expanded it to 18 holes.

The only course designed, built, owned, and operated by an African American, Clearview was named a National Historic Site by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 2001.  It garnered Ohio Historic Site recognition the same year.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:29:35 AM by Joel_Stewart »

Billsteele

Re: Clearviw Golf Club - Canton, OH
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
Joel-I grew up in the Canton area and have played Clearview a few times over the years. It is a remarkable achievement given how Bill Powell essentially built it by himself while working another job. Clearview is a bit quirky but has some interesting greensites and the property it occupies is fairly interesting. It should survive because the greens fees are low, the maintenance costs appear low and the course remains fairly busy from what I understand. The only downside is that it is really in East Canton which is in an area that does not have a high density of population. The suburban areas are really North and West of Canton and there are a plethora of public golf courses there. There have been some previous discussions of Clearview here and mainly they were positive. The course is very low key: a very modest clubhouse and the folks who work there are very nice (Renee Powell, Bill's daughter who played on the LPGA Tour, is one of the loveliest people you could meet).

Joel_Stewart

Re: Clearview Golf Club - Canton, OH
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
Thanks for the report.  They have a web site which details the history.  Its a tough economic time for anyone and they are not exempt.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
Bill;

If you still live in or go to Canton, what can you tell me of a course called The Quarry? I have heard some good things recently. Worth my time for a trip from Cincinnati? Sorry, off topic.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Billsteele

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
Doug-Your post is more on topic than you think because The Quarry is located pretty close to Clearview. I played The Quarry once last year and I enjoyed it. It is a Brian Huntley design and it is pretty well done. The land is pretty interesting with nice elevation changes and some really dramatic looks (exposed granite walls, elevated tees that give you some great looks at the property). It is a course that probably needs to be played once to understand some of the holes but I think it would be well worth a trip from the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area (where I recall you live). I think it's about $60 to play in prime time.

Mapquest says that Clearview is about 3 1/2 miles from The Quarry.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:45:45 PM by Billsteele »

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
The Quarry is definetly worth a play.  Big elevation changes due to fact that as the name suggest, it was built through an old quarry.  It is part of a housing developement, but when I played 2 years ago only a couple houses on the perifery had been built.

There are some pictures here:

Click on courses or Top 20 (I believe The Quarry is their #1 rated public course in the Cleveland area) and scroll down to The Quarry description and pictures:

http://www.golfclevelandohio.com/G2003-main.htm

Chris
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 03:48:33 PM by Chris_Blakely »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:38:53 PM »
Chris;

Ironically, I just started a thread from info I gleaned from the nice golfcleveland website you give here. Thanks for the info. We will put it on our 'to do' for this year.

Bill;

Thank you too. This has the sound of a course I would enjoy, and the pix in the aforementioned website sure look good.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Lester George

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:46:26 AM »
I have met and worked alongside the Powell family in establishing a First Tee initiative and a scholarship in Mr. Powells name.  Fine, fine people.  Truly inspirational.

Lester

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
Doug,

I have known about that site for some time.  I believe I have referenced it before on pcitures for other courses being talked about.  I have a ton of pictures of the Quarry - but I would need to find a bunch of time to get them to photobucked and then onto this site.  The Cleveland site also has a link to great lakes golf courses and has pictures from courses in Canada, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio coures outside the Cleveland area.  The Quarry is a must play IMO.

Chris

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
Does anyone know about the changes made to Clearview and is it finished?  Hurzden/Fry donated their design services, Wadsworth donated something and all the piping for irrigation and drainage was donated.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I will second, third, forth the nod for The Quarry...really enjoyed it.  Plan on getting out there again this year.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
Apologies Joel.

I dragged this too much off topic with my inquiries on another course in the area. Glad to get the info butt .....

Clearview has clear historic importance, as well as a worthwhile inspiring story. Hopefully more info will come from that line.

Doug

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »

Bill Powell receives PGA’s top honor
GOLFWEEK STAFF

The PGA of America has named William J. (Bill) Powell of East Canton, Ohio, as the recipient of the 2009 PGA Distinguished Service Award.

The association’s highest annual honor goes to “the only African-American to design, build, own and operate a golf course while pioneering diversity in the game,” according to the PGA.

Powell, 92, and a PGA Life Member, will be honored in conjunction with the 91st PGA Championship at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minn. The award presentation will be conducted Aug. 12, in downtown Minneapolis.

“William Powell’s dream to build a golf course where players regardless of the color of their skin would be welcome was a task that he met under great duress, hardship and personal sacrifice,” said Jim Remy, PGA of America president. “Yet, Mr. Powell displayed exceptional courage, grace and the finest character while persevering toward his goal of opening Clearview Golf Club.

“He and his family represent the best in our sport and what it means to treat one’s neighbor with dignity and respect. The PGA of America is extremely proud to be presenting Mr. Powell, a legend in our time, with the 2009 PGA Distinguished Award.”

Powell is the father of PGA and LPGA professional Renee Powell, the second African-American to compete on the LPGA. Renee is the PGA head professional at Clearview Golf Club in East Canton, Ohio, where she is joined by her brother, Larry, a member of the Golf Course Superintendents of America.

In September 1946, Bill Powell received the financial backing of two black physicians in nearby Canton and Massillon, Ohio, to begin building a public golf course. Powell added his own part of the necessary capital after his brother, Berry, took out a loan on his home.

In April 1948, nine holes opened for play on the former dairy farmland. A decade later, Powell bought out his partners and added an additional 52 acres for a second nine holes.
The complete 18-hole layout was opened for play in 1978. Clearview Golf Club is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

“This is quite an honor, and it is something I savor due to so many good people in The PGA that made it happen,” Powell said. “I am so humbled to have people think this way of me. I have had so many special things happen to me, I believe, because golf sees no color. It is a game that brings out the best in people and it is vital to young people. Golf means nothing but good. If you can get young people in the game, then they are good for all their lives.”

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
CANTON, Ohio (AP)—Bill Powell, the first African American to build, own and operate a golf course, died Thursday. He was 93.

The PGA of America said Powell died at Aultman Hospital in Canton following complications from a stroke.

“Bill Powell will forever be one of golf’s most unforgettable American heroes,” PGA of America president Jim Remy said. “Bill made us appreciate the game and each other that much more by his gentle, yet firm example.

“He was born with a fire within his heart to build on his dream. In the process, he made golf a beacon for people of all color. The PGA of America is better today because of individuals like Bill Powell. We will miss him dearly. We extend our thoughts and prayers to his family as we remember a wonderful man.”

In August, Powell received the PGA Distinguished Service Award, the association’s highest annual honor. In November, he was inducted into the Northern Ohio PGA Hall of Fame and honored as the Person of the Year by the Ohio Golf Course Owners Association.

The Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce also recently presented the Powell family with its Community Salute Award.

“My father made a mark,” said daughter Renee Powell, the second black player to compete on the LPGA Tour. “And, I believe that God wanted people to know the mark that he made on this nation.”

The grandson of Alabama slaves, Powell created Clearview Golf Club after returning home following World War II. While serving in Europe, he earned the rank of Technical Sergeant in the U.S. Eighth Air Force Truck Battalion.

Powell worked 18-hour days to support his family and build Clearview. Denied a GI Loan, he found funding from two African American physicians, and his brother took out a second mortgage on his home.

Powell went on to carve Clearview out of former dairy farmland in 1946, clearing the land himself. In the process, Powell broke down racial barriers without fanfare by developing female and youth golf leagues.

Clearview opened its initial nine holes in 1948. Powell eventually repaid his benefactors to gain full ownership, and nine more holes were completed in 1978. Clearview is on the National Register of Historic Places, and nicknamed “America’s Course.”

“I didn’t build this course for any of the recognition,” Powell said in his 2000 autobiography, “Clearview: America’s Course.” “It was a labor of love. Golf is a part of society and I wanted to be included. I want you to be included, too. I’ve always felt that each individual should leave something behind of meaning. It feels good to know that I have done that with Clearview, at long last.”

In 1992, the Powells were honored by the National Golf Foundation as the Jack Nicklaus Golf Family of the Year. That year, Powell was awarded the “Cornerstone of Freedom Award” from the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commission.

Powell was inducted into the National Black Golf Hall of Fame in 1996, and became a PGA Life Member in 1999. Powell also received honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degrees from his alma mater, Wilberforce University, and from Baldwin-Wallace College.

Powell also played a role in The First Tee, which has distributed more than 1,100 William J. Powell Scholarships that allow youngsters to attend The First Tee Life Skills and Leadership Academies conducted on college campuses.

Powell was preceded in death by wife Marcella and son William. In addition to daughter Renee, he’s survived by son Larry, who has served for more than 30 years as superintendent at Clearview Golf Club, and twin sisters Mary Alice Walker and Rose Marie Mathews. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back