News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Safety Buffers
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:57 PM »
I'm just wondering what rule of thumb would be recommended for the size of a safety buffer between a green and a road for example?

The figures that I have looked at are based on that 95% of shots fall within 15 degrees of the intended target (not sure where the other 5% go), so for an approach shot with a maximum distance of 220 yards a buffer of 1/6 of 220= 37 yards (and rounded up to 45 yards for a little extra) could be used.

Is this distance sufficient? The road is also on the left hand side of the hole, what effect would this have on the buffer? The vast majority of approach shots would be from 130-220 yards. There is also a wall and a substantial number of trees on the left hand side. How much do the trees help with the size of the buffer?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Forrest Richardson

Re: Safety Buffers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »
220 feet centerline to road...but, that is only a guideline as there are many variables.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:05 AM »
Padraig,

If you are talking about a hole at Little Island, you should have a word with Martin Hawtree about this if he is currently engaged as your architect...

Each individual case is different but I know Martin has his own very strong views on this subject...

Ally

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
How far is the road from the road hole?
I'm with Ally
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »

The map should help. The green is in the upper right of the picture. The row of houses on the other side of the road have had some balls hitting them. A solution has been offered which involves routing the 18th down the adjacent hole, the 15th, and routing the 15th through the practise ground, but most don't want to lose the practise ground so we're just looking at other ideas.

The green is close to the wall, but the boundary wall doesn't run parallel to the hole. By moving the green backwards it's moving further from the wall, the information I'm looking into is how far would the green have to move back to virtually eliminate the risk of balls going over the boundary wall?

Netting has also been suggested but I think in order for it to be high enough the cost would be excessive and also quite unsightly.

My preferred option is moving the green 30 yards back and slighty right which would move the green approx 55 yards from the wall from the current 22 yards, moving the tee backwards and also moving the 15th green (middle lower left) towards the 16th tee (lower left). Will this virtually eliminate the risk?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back