News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Thank you GCA and what a year!
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »
As we have had several end of year type threads already, I hope you will indulge me this one.

2009 has been a difficult year for many of us with the World economy being as bad as it has been. Earlier in the year, my wife was made redundant and I had first a 4 day week and then a pay cut. On top of that my brother and his wife lost a baby before they had even had a chance to tell me I would be an uncle, my granddad died and my mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer. And then my brothers golf shop in Edinburgh became another statistic of the recession when he had to close what had been his dream job. So with all those emotions and stresses, not a great year I think its fair to say?

But this is where Golf Club Atlas steps in. About 18 months ago or so, I was joined at work by another keen golfer, Ben Stephens, who encouraged me to stop lurking on here and take part. I was playing golf occasionally at the time, but thanks to Ben and GCA my passion for golf was rekindled! And its been this rekindled passion for reading, watching, playing and talking golf, that I feel has really helped me through such a bad year. And the irony of all this, is how good a year I have had from a golfing perspective!

Early in the year Ben encouraged me to join him at the Spring Foursomes at Hunstanton. I’d not played the course before, and I’d not played foursomes for about 15 years, but we had a thoroughly enjoyable time, on a great course, Ben hit some monster drives, we both hit some great long putts and in the end had a very good finish. Around the same time I played some good golf at Burnham & Berrow and Notts as well, all before the good golfing weather was upon us, and my golfing year had started well.

With my brothers business coming to an end, we finally made the effort and managed to get out and play North Berwick, and it was certainly well worth it!

I’ve managed to play golf with several other fellow GCAers. Sean Arble was good enough to show me around two of his favourites in Beau Desert and Huntercombe. We were also joined by Andrew Mitchell at BD, and I got to play again with Sean, Scott Warren and Robin Hiseman at Painswick. And lastly, Melvyn was good enough to set it up for me to be joined by Ralph Thomson for my round up on Askernish.

Plenty more golf with Ben, including a trips to Charnwood Forest, Sutton Coldfield and Luffenham Heath, as well as his very own course Rutland Water, even if he has started a trend for my old school nickname.

I organised a very successful golf event for RIBA architects from all over the UK, again at Notts, then Sherwood Forest the following day. I was lucky enough to be invited to a corporate day up at Nairn (which is quite a long trip for a jolly) but thanks to flight times, also managed to get a round in at Castle Stuart, where I was joined by a couple of American gents who were members at NGLA and Piping Rock, and it was a joy to listen to them talking about CBM. If only more people over here even knew who the architect of their course was!

On top of the great courses and great company I’ve also played some great golf and in the end I did manage to get my handicap down to 6 (5.6 exact) so I’m catching you Ben “Bamm-Bamm” Stephens!

So, for many reasons its certainly been a bad year! But thanks to this website and all of you on here, I have at times been able to forget the various troubles of life and in one sense anyway, make it a very good year! So a very grateful and slightly emotional “Thank you” to you all!

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

Re: Thank you GCA and what a year!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »
Great post James. Sorry to hear all the crap that went on, but happy to know golf and the people around you helped you get through it.

Let's hope 2010 is much better all-round, though all that golf might take some beating!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »
Golf is a great panacea for the hard times.

The day JFK was killed I went out to Santa Barbara Muni and walked 9 holes alone.

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
Thanks guys,

Scott,

I'll certainly be trying to better this years list of courses played next year!

Bill,

Playing golf when JFK was killed... Makes me feel young!  ;D Look forward to meeting you at Buda next year.

Golf certainly is a great medicine. Strange really as there is plenty of time to dwell on things between shots, but the joy of being out on the course certainly helps me get away from it all.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
Bill,

I played 27 holes at Santa Barbara Muni yesterday.

Aidan.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »
James, great post.  Here's to a better 2010 to you. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »

James,

What did you think about North Berwick and Castle Stuart?

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »
Cheers to you James.  A nice post there and I look forward to meeting you next September.

Here's to a better 2010! (insert one of Jay Flemma's cool little shot glasses here)

Eric

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
Thanks guys,

Scott,

I'll certainly be trying to better this years list of courses played next year!

Bill,

Playing golf when JFK was killed... Makes me feel young!  ;D Look forward to meeting you at Buda next year.

Golf certainly is a great medicine. Strange really as there is plenty of time to dwell on things between shots, but the joy of being out on the course certainly helps me get away from it all.

Cheers,

James

James, I'm glad it makes you feel young, it just makes feel old.   ;D  Looking forward to meeting you too.  The UK Buda crowd is a lot of fun, you'll love it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:22:34 PM »
Bill,

I played 27 holes at Santa Barbara Muni yesterday.

Aidan.

Wow, great photo.  That is such a funny, quirky old course.  It's quite a hike too, some great hills.

Where else did you shoot in SB?  Just look the other way when you see that alternate island green #13 at La Cumbre!  :o :o

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
Bill,

I live in Santa Barbara. I have photographed most of the courses in the area. Unfortunately the private courses (Valley, Burnham and La Cumbre) have no interest in my abilities.

Aidan.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:55:38 AM »
James

Sorry to hear about your troubled year.  I'm glad that golf & GCA has somewhat improved your memories of 2009!

It was good to meet you at Beau Desert, hopefully we will meet up again on 2010.

How is your brother settling down in Yorkshire?  The weather has been miserable these last few weeks.  I have to confess I haven't been to AG in Menston recently!  If you are up visiting him don't hesitate to get in touch for either a drink or a game.  I'd be happy to host you both at a very soggy Northcliffe!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 04:22:46 AM »
Anthony,

Loved both CS and NB! Both significantly contributed to a good golfing year...

North Berwick: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39703.msg835117/topicseen/
Castle Stuart: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39703.msg835117/topicseen/

And here's a few more photo tours from this year...

Askernish: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41817.0/
Nairn: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42177.0/
Notts (Hollinwell): http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39814.msg908349/topicseen/
Sherwood Forest: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42229.0/
Sutton Coldfield: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42442.msg908502/topicseen/
Charnwood Forest: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39201.0/

Thank you all for the kind words. Things are starting to look up a bit (fingers crossed) as my wife has managed to get another job, my mother in law's chemotherapy is going well and I'm going to be an uncle early next year. But when I look back at this past year, I'm very very glad to have had this crazy but wonderful game to keep spirits up!

Andrew,

He's settling in well. We did nip to see him a couple of weekends ago and ended up having a last minute game at Hollins Hall. Next time, with a bit more planning, I'll be in touch.

Here's to a much better 2010 and hopefully playing golf with many more of you GCAers or meeting some of you at Buda!

Cheers,

James

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back