News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thornton

A Year to Remember
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
2009 was truly a year to remember for me and I will carry the warm memories of great courses and great friends with me for a long, long time.  I’d like to make a couple of comments regarding the list of courses.  First, for those who bemoan lack of access to great courses in the U.S., 12 of the 22 courses listed were accessed via rounds purchased through charity auctions, including some that might surprise you.  Charity auctions offer a way to play courses that might not otherwise be accessible, while at the same time giving something back to the community.  If anyone is interested in knowing which charity featured a specific course, please send me a PM and I will be happy to let you know.  Second, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a member at Hidden Creek in New Jersey, so please receive any of my remarks about Hidden Creek with that in mind.  Courses in each location are listed in no certain order.

Los Angeles
•   Bel-Air
•   LACC
•   Riviera

San Francisco
•   Cal Club
•   Olympic
•   SFGC

Dallas/FW
•   Dallas National
•   Colonial

Northeast
•   Sleepy Hollow
•   Carnegie Abbey
•   Boston Golf Club
•   The Country Club
•   Old Sandwich

Long Island*
•   Shinnecock
•   NGLA
•   Friar’s Head
•   Fisher’s Island* (actually CT)

NJ/PA
•   Hidden Creek
•   Metedeconk National
•   Merion

Other
•   Jockey Club, Argentina
•   The Honors Course (TN)
•   Farmington Country Club (VA)
•   Walker Cup at Merion

And now, with all due acknowledgement to “The Doak Gazetteer” from Tom Doak’s Confidential Guide, which served as my inspiration, here is my own personal gazetteer for 2009.

Best Course – Merion (my love affair with Merion only gets stronger over time, it’s held 17 USGA championships for a reason), Runner Up – Shinnecock (the American classic, held the Open 100 years apart, a pretty good testament to the fact that it has withstood the test of time)

Most Underrated Golf Course – Cal Club (the best golf course in SF in my opinion), Runner Up – Boston Golf Club (I was absolutely blown away by what Gil Hanse did here, a modern day masterpiece that stands with Sand Hills as the best course I've seen that was built after 1990)

Most Overrated Golf Course – Honors Course (great setting and atmosphere, but  not even in my personal Top 100), Runner Up – Dallas National (again, great atmosphere, but doesn’t even belong in the same sentence as Colonial)

Hardest Course – Olympic Lake (plays longest vs. the yardage of any course I’ve ever played), Runner Up – Metedeconk National (trouble aplenty and lightening fast greens)

Best Walking  Course – Hidden Creek (proximity of tees and greens make it a joy to walk), Runner Up – Merion (a delight to walk)

Most Spectacular Course – Fisher’s Island (visually, even more spectacular than Cypress Point), Runner Up – Friar’s Head (the holes in the dunes are breathtaking)

Course I'd Most Like to See Again – When I played LACC North, it was still in the midst of the Gil Hanse bunker restoration (LACC is scary good already, and when the renovations are completed, I think it will easily be the best of George Thomas' LA triumverate)

Best Conditioned Course – Cal Club (extremely firm and fast, flawless), Runner Up – Shinnecock (firm and fast with beautifully maintained fescue grasses, which is no small feat)

Coolest Man-Made Object on a Golf Course – Windmill at NLGA (iconic), Runner Up – Swinging Bridge and Tunnels at Bel-Air (marvels of engineering back in the day and clever way to accomplish the routing)

Best Clubhouse – Shinnecock (America’ first clubhouse, and designed by Stanford White to boot), Runner Up – Farmington Country Club (designed by Thomas Jefferson, that’s all)

Best Locker Room – Merion (the locker room by which all others should be measured), Runner Up – tie between SFGC (love the framed portrait of Harvey Ward over the fireplace and the dueling pistols in the corner) and TCC (an entire building unto itself, with old metal lockers from the last century)

Best Shower – Merion (imagine standing under Niagara Falls and you’d be close), Runner Up – Boston Golf Club (outside shower overlooking the 18th green, with a chest-high stone wall for privacy)

Best Bar – Cal Club (full of great characters, a guy’s guy kind of place), Runner Up – Bel-Air (full of celebrities, hard not to be captivated when the great Carroll Shelby is sitting at the table next to you)

Best Bartender – Curly at NGLA (there’s just something about that red jacket), Runner Up – tie between Fernando at TCC (you know he’s good when there’s a drink named after him) and Steve Healey at Carnegie Abbey (see reference below on Friendliest Staff)

Best Cocktail – “Southside” with Mount Gay Rum at NGLA (all others are mere imposters), “Fernando” at The Country Club (a rum based concoction invented and served by Fernando, the legendary bartender at TCC, one's not enough and two's too many)

Best Lunch – NGLA (I have to agree with the consensus that the lobster lunch in the dining room is the best lunch in all of golf), Runner Up – Jockey Club (Argentine Bife de Chorizo served with a nice Malbec, while overlooking the beautiful grounds)

Best Halfway House Food – Burger Dog at Olympic Club (it more than lives up to its reputation as the best halfway house food in all of golf), Runner Up – Fish Tacos at Dallas National (to die for)

Friendliest Staff – Hidden Creek (name me another club where the waitresses give you a hug when they see you), Runner Up – Carnegie Abbey (the bartender actually drove out to our group on the golf course with aged single malt scotch served from a traditional pewter Quaich)

Best Lodging – Sleepy Hollow (the rooms are in a clubhouse built for the Vanderbilt family, what more need I say), Runner-Up – Hidden Creek (nothing can beat the Lodge at Hidden Creek for a group)

Most Charming Feature – The shoe cubbies at Fisher’s Island (no locker room, just a tiny room off the golf shop with slots for your street shoes, classic Yankee sensibility), Runner Up – The separate North and South locker rooms at Cal Club (with old framed black and white photos of each member attached to their locker)

Things That Gave Me Chills – The reconstructed office of Ben Hogan adjacent to the golf shop at Colonial and the Ben Hogan Trophy Room upstairs in the clubhouse (those five US Open medals sure look the same to me, except that one says “Hale America Open” on the back), Runner Up – tie between the Macdonald Library at NGLA, the Trophy Room at Merion and the Francis Ouimet Wall in the Grill Room at TCC (you can feel the ghosts of Macdonald, Jones and Ouimet)

Best Overall Experience – Merion (my favorite golf course on the planet) on my birthday with my good buddy (West in the morning, lunch on the patio, East in the afternoon, drinks in the Trophy Room…it just doesn’t get any better than that), Runner Up – a tie between NGLA and The Country Club (both are near mythical experiences, full of history, tradition, and charm – places that I had read about and dreamed of someday playing, and both exceeded my lofty expectations)

Most Fun Round – My day at The Honors with a terrific host was by far the most fun I've had all year on the golf course.  We had a great match with a couple of friends that featured one of my opponents needing to make a 3 footer on 18 to halve the match....the pressure was so great his hands were visibly shaking (he made the putt and avoided losing the two dollar bet).

Best Event – The Walker Cup at Merion was hands down the best golf event I've ever attended.  Sitting on the patio having breakfast while the best college players teed off 10 feet away is a memory I'll carry with me always.  There's just something about watching match play over my favorite course in the world with young, talented players who played for their countries.  The ability to walk with the players in the fairways was easily one of my favorite experiences at any sporting event.  One observation: Watch out for Ricky Fowler –- he's the real deal and he was hitting shots that no other player had.  A future star in the making if ever I saw one.  It's players like Ricky Fowler and Anthony Kim that give me hope in a post-Tiger world of golf.

Club Where I’d Most Like to be a Member – Merion (I love everything about it; the quintessential golf club), Runner Up – Cal Club (a great golf course and an even greater bunch of guys; wish it were closer)

Best wishes to all for a joyous holiday season.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:27:21 AM by Jim Thornton »

Kevin Pallier

Re: A Year to Remember
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:54:44 PM »
Big Jim

I'm glad I was able to experience some of that year with you  :)

I agree with your comments re: Hidden Creek. It was one of the most pleasureable all round golfing experiences I've ever had. Pity the weather didn't shine on us the day we had together but the employees treat you in a very "special" way.

All the best my friend
KP

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
Jim I love lists.  Your post is great.  And with all this Tiger stuff around, that will do damage to golf and golfers, it is nice to read and be assured that some things in golf will endure, and by enduring will become treasures for the golfing world.
I sense that you cherish and whole experience, golf, surroundings, clubhouse, tradition and history.  Great.  I don't know exactly how some of these places did it so right, but I have soaked up a bit of some of these things and they stay with you.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
 Jim,

Those who had the pleasure of your company had a good year as well.

I sure hope some member of Merion's membership committee sees your  obvious plea  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:16:30 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jim Thornton

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:15:55 PM »
Kevin-

The poor weather didn't detract whatsoever from enjoying your company that day and it was a pleasure for me to spend time with you.  Next time we'll swing 'em, although you should consider yourself fortunate that you didn't have to be subjected to my dismal golf game.

Lynn-

Thank you for your kind note.  I'm a sucker for history, and you're right about the specialness of those places that endure in golf.  In my way of looking at golf clubs, there's no way to separate the course from the surroundings, the history, the championships, the character, and the grounds.  I'm very confident that Shinnecock, NGLA, Merion and TCC will still be relevant 100 years from now.

Mike-

I loved our day together at Friar's Head and it was a great pleasure to meet you and get to know you.  I also got a kick out of our back and forth over Friar's Head afterwards on GCA.  One of the better threads of the year in my opinion, chiefly because you asked provocative questions.

Jim

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
"A Year to Remember" - I'll say it was!  I really enjoyed your gazetteer summary.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »

Mike-

I loved our day together at Friar's Head and it was a great pleasure to meet you and get to know you.  I also got a kick out of our back and forth over Friar's Head afterwards on GCA.  One of the better threads of the year in my opinion, chiefly because you asked provocative questions.

Jim

Jim, do you think our impassioned defense of Friars Head changed Mike's opinion one iota?

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
 Bill,

I changed my mind. I thought it was a very good but not great course. After the give and take I raised it to a veery  good course.
AKA Mayday

Jim Thornton

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 08:17:21 AM »
Mike-

In terms of ratings, the more important question is how would you rate Peter Luger?  Do you think it's a great steakhouse or just a very good steakhouse?  Since you ate like a man on the way to the electric chair, I think I know the answer.

Any restaurant that serves a single slab of bacon on a plain white plate is OK in my book.

Jim

Jim Thornton

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
John Mayhugh-

We need to play some golf together this year.  I'm planning a trip out to Columbus, OH and maybe we can connect then.  How far is Columbus from where you live?

Jim

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
John Mayhugh-

We need to play some golf together this year.  I'm planning a trip out to Columbus, OH and maybe we can connect then.  How far is Columbus from where you live?

Jim

Mayhugh has his own jet, named GolfSlut1. You get him access, he will meet you there.

Jim Thornton

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »
Sean-

That's good to know....do you think he would give me a ride on GolfSlut1?

Jim

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
Sean-

That's good to know....do you think he would give me a ride on GolfSlut1?

Jim

Good question. I would guess that it depends on which other Top 100 course he is flying from...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 10:28:16 PM »
John Mayhugh-

Jim

I live in Louisville, about 3 hours from Columbus.  Nothing here that really warrants a trip golf-wise, but depending on the time of year I could show you a great time at Churchill Downs and find a decent course or two.  I might also be able to travel up that way.  I've only played three courses in Ohio.  If you're going to be in Columbus, you should make an effort to meet Bill Steele.

Sean,
If I owned a plane, that would be a classy name for it!  Instead I have to get by on a ton of frequent flier miles and a heavy foot.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »

Alot to smile about Jim.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
2009 was truly a year to remember for me and I will carry the warm memories of great courses and great friends with me for a long, long time. Most Overrated Golf Course – Honors Course (great setting and atmosphere, but  not even in my personal Top 100), Runner Up – Dallas National (again, great atmosphere, but doesn’t even belong in the same sentence as Colonial)

Best wishes to all for a joyous holiday season.

Jim

Jim,

Prior to seeing the pictures above, I thought that perhaps you are among the luckiest men right behind Mr. Mayhugh.  I would bet that you're a rater with GD or GW.

But without meaning to hijack the direction of this thread, do I detect a strong preference for the old stuff? 

I would agree with you regarding DN and Colonial not belonging in the same sentence.  We just have the courses and atmosphere flopped around.

I've played Colonial couple dozen times in all sorts of different conditions and DN five or six times.  They are entirely different courses, but other than history and ambiance, I can't think of a single rating category where Colonial comes close to matching DN.

One of the things I enjoy about golf is the diversity and intensity of opinions.  No doubt we would have fun sparring on some.  I too am tentatively planning a brief visit to Columbus (my former home) to see the "new" Scarlet and determine whether I can still manage the garbage burger platter at Max & Erma's.  If your twosome is not full (with Mayhugh), perhpas we can meet up. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »

Jim is not a rater....He's the Forrest Gump of golf. When it comes to access he is always at the right place at the right time. He got a call this year and was asked "Would you like to play Merion on your birthday?"  More power to him.

Anthony

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
Jim:

Great stuff ... although should you get to the door of Merion as a member let them know you meant to say they have hosted 19 USGA championships -- not 17. ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »

Jim is not a rater....He's the Forrest Gump of golf. When it comes to access he is always at the right place at the right time. He got a call this year and was asked "Would you like to play Merion on your birthday?"  More power to him.

Anthony

Undoubtedly that call came from a FOJ (Friend of Jim's).  I have met and hosted some FOJ's this past year and all were just great playing companions.  And they all love the big guy.

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Jim this summer and it was most memorable. (I think there was a thread :D.)

Though we didn't get to tee it up this year, I am happy to know there will be plenty of opportunities to do so in the next.

Eric FOJ

Also Jim,  

You must meet and tee it up with John and Lou and Bill when in Columbus.  You'll enjoy each of them I can assure you.

Thanks for sharing your year to remember with us.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:15:31 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »
Mike-

In terms of ratings, the more important question is how would you rate Peter Luger?  Do you think it's a great steakhouse or just a very good steakhouse?  Since you ate like a man on the way to the electric chair, I think I know the answer.

Any restaurant that serves a single slab of bacon on a plain white plate is OK in my book.

Jim

Jim,

You took Mike to Peter Luger too.........................You bastard...................We're broke up.

anthony

mike_malone

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 10:17:43 PM »
 Anthony,

He told me never to give you my cell number. I would never have another day of peace ;D
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back