News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Re: Highlight of 2009
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 11:34:20 PM »
Bandon was definitely the highlight of my golf year, life for that matter, no contest

Played Banff for the first time

Played 36 at Wolf Creek(Alberta) on British Open Sunday and was treated to open like conditions

Played the wolf/sun courses at paiute

Also made trips to Whistler and Palm Springs

Holed out from 150 yards on a par 4 at my home course for my first eagle

Played more rounds this year than any other

Found my new winter pastime gca!

Jon Heise

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 12:52:12 AM »
hmm, I'll go with a random list here...

Seeing Augusta National (...ok, so it was through a fence) and 8 days later playing Pebble Beach
Driving by Cypress Point
Eating at Duke's in Aiken
Dropping my handicap by ~4
Making the match play 2nd round in my City Championship and not getting smoked
I still like Greywalls better.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 01:21:39 AM »
1. Introducing my 3-yr. old daughter to golf with some putting on the 19th hole at my home club. 10 minutes of putting until she realized throwing balls down the river bank is more fun!

2. Meeting a great group of guys at the Greywalls / Kingsley outing this summer, and of course, the golf was spectacular, even though I lost to DeVries (I'll get my revenge!). Learned a lot on that trip.

3. First look at Langford & Moreau greens, wow!

TK

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »
Ryan...

what courses did you play in Palm Springs?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »
2009 was an amazing year for me.  I took more golf trips this year than any other year, mostly because of being involved with a new girlfriend that 1. Plays golf and 2. Travels extensively.  So 2009 was the ultimate year when it came to quantity of golf courses.  

So far this year I have played 124 new golf courses in 21 states with at least ten more courses to go in December.  I'll break my year down by month, that's how awesome it was:

February-played two courses I've been trying to get on for a very long time, Old Chatham in NC, and Congressional in DC, the day at Congressional was exceptional because I also played Columbia and Chevy Chase the same day!

March-tagged along with the girlfriend on a trip to Charleston and played Palmetto, Augusta CC, and Bulls Bay

April-traveled to Texas for the first time.  Had the pleasure of being hosted at High Meadow Ranch by Casey Wade and corresponding with but missing Sam Morrow and Anthony Nysse.  Highlights of the trip were Whispering Pines, Colonial, Spanish Oaks, Briggs Ranch, Champions, Carlton Woods, and Crown Colony.  Later in the month I was lucky enough to play another course I have been trying to play for a long time, The Creek in Long Island, but the surprise of that day was Engineers, absolutely amazing course, and a lock for top 100 in my opinion.

May-A trip to West Virginia to play Raven at Snowshoe, Stonewall, Greenbrier Sporting Club, and the ultimate hidden gem, Pikewood National.  This course should be a must for everybody to experience.  The experience of walking this course is like none I have had on a golf course.  Also played a very good Nicklaus, Creighton Farms in VA.

June-Trip to Indiana, played Crooked Stick, Wolf Run, Brickyard Crossing, Broadmoor, both courses at French Lick, St. Louis CC, and the highlight of the trip was playing Victoria National with John Kavanaugh.  A true gentlemen and wonderful host.

July-made a trip to Myrtle Beach, played all four courses at Barefoot in the same day!  Lester George was kind enough to set my girlfriend and I up at Ballyhack.  Great experience.

August-Midwest trip, played Tullymore, Lost Dunes, The Dunes, Blue Mound, Beverly, Erin Hills, Cog Hill, Firestone, and Sycamore Hills.  The experience of playing The Dunes Club is one of a kind.  

September-trip out to the heart of Pennsylvania to play Sunnehanna, Rolling Rock, and Bedford Springs.  Rolling Rock has some of the best Ross greens I have ever seen.

October-Couple trips to New England, was randomly paired with GCA’er Paul Thomas at Boston Golf Club, and despite the weather we managed to have a great time playing a true gem of a golf course.  Other highlights were Old Sandwich, Eastward Ho!, Essex County, Winchester, and Wannamoisett.  Wannamoisett proved to me that Ross was absolutely the best router of golf courses.

And the great thing is, the year isn’t over yet.  I still have a trip to play on the RTJ trail for three days, Shoal Creek, and the mini GCA outing at Sugarloaf.  I’ll actually be sad to see 2009 end as it was such an unbelievable year that I know I will never top in terms of the number of courses played.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:35:30 AM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jim Colton

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »
Cory,

That's a career for most golfers.  Nice work!

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »
Ryan...

what courses did you play in Palm Springs?

I played both courses at Desert Willow(Hurdzan/Fry), I really enjoyed Firecliff it was my favorite of the 3 I played, Mountainview on the other hand was average at best, having to play through a construction zone didn't help either

I also played the Classic Club(Palmer) which was one of the courses for the Bob Hope for a few years I believe, it was a little over the top, but worth a play if your in the area

Michael Moore

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
Made a hole-in-one to propel myself into the Maine Amateur for the first time, after "quinting" the previous hole, with a good friend as a fellow-competitor, with my Dad on the bag, at the beautiful Biddeford-Saco Country Club, a mile from where I grew up.

Published a hand-drawn yardage guide for the Wannamoisett Country Club.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tony Weiler

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
Cory, your year was amazing.

My Highlights this year were:  Playing both courses at We Ko Pa in April, the Saguaro was a great treat.  Also enjoyed another round at Vista Verde, which is one that I could play all the time and never get bored.  Grayhawk is a great complex, and the food at Phil's Grill will not soon be forgotten.  I really love Az. golf in the Spring.

In August travelled to Minneapolis for the PGA and had the wonderful experience of playing Interlachen.  My first time on a Ross course, and the green complexes were different than any I’d ever played.  Some were a bit “too” extreme for me, but the whole experience, with a fabulous host, was one to remember.  I really wanted to do a writeup like many of you do, but just haven’t yet.

In October I got to play The Old Works in Anaconda, Mt.  A Nicklaus design I’ve always wanted to play.  It was 35 degrees, snowing, and blowing 25 mph.  Needless to say, I was the only one on the course that day, and played 18 in 2.5 hours.  I wish I could have enjoyed it a bit more, but glad to have played it.  

I’m enjoying “learning” more about golf through the architecture experts on this site.  I’ve been a long time lurker, and glad I’m now a member of GCA.  

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:08:35 PM by Anthony Weiler »

Tom Birkert

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
There were many.

Hosting a couple of GCAers at my home course was a pleasure, as it always is.

On the travel front, I had a good year. I played some wonderful courses that I had before (Shinny, PV, Merion) and I was fortunate enough to play Friar's Head and Oakmont as well. The latter was incredible. It's very hard to choose between it, Cypress Point, Shinny, Merion and PV for my favourite course in America.

That I was able to play with some generous and wonderful host GCAers made it an even more special experience.

Bring on 2010 and California in March!

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
Walker Cup
17th at French Creek and a terrific day with Dan and Laura
Hosting a terrific group of Flynn Clubs from across the country at the Flynn Invitational
3, 5 and 13 at Portrush
Annual Enniscrone visit
Overnight at PV
Renewed hostilities with friends at MGC
Hosting GCA'ers
Ballyliffin Old
12 and 14 Portmarnock
Working with Ron Forse and Jim Nagle
etc etc.
We are all very fortunate

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
2009 was a sh**ty year… for business.  A pretty good one for golf though.  Just a few highlights:

Started off with a wonderful, but WINDY (and I mean WINDY), day with the esteemed Mr. Huntley on the Dunes course at MPCC.

Cal Club with another GCA’er – John Handley.  Loved it.

Omaha CC – The surprise of the year.

Champions CC  (Jackrabbit) – with a couple Houston GCA’ers… although I’d like a do-over on this one with one or two less whiskies the night before.

Crystal Downs – wow.  Those greens are killers.

Aronimink – down to one round a year…

Merion (East) – still my favorite

Davenport CC – Sporty, hidden gem

CommonGround – Impressive public facility.  Lots of fun and well worth seeking out to play… the Rustic Canyon of the Rockies!

Bel-Air – Got a chance to finally put LA’s “big 3” in perspective… still gotta go Riviera, LACC, Bel-Air in that order.

Valley Club of Montecito – Terrific time on a fantastic course with a great group of guys. HIGHLIGHT!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 01:37:07 PM »
Winning the May Monthly Medal (aided by a fat handicap ;)) at Royal Dornoch!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »
Winning the May Monthly Medal (aided by a fat handicap ;)) at Royal Dornoch!

David,

Now that is indeed a Highlight. Congratulations.

Bob

JLahrman

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't get to play a lot of golf this year.  My wife and I moved to the Bay Area at the beginning of the year.  I was fortunate to get to meet and play golf with a few Bay Area GCA members, who graciously invited me for a round.  I haven't met too many people on this board but the ones I have met have been great to meet and play a round with.  Despite the occasional testiness on some of the topics it seems that everyone enjoys each other's company - hopefully I can continue to meet more of you!

Best wishes for a happy holiday season (with enough good weather for a few more rounds).

Doug Wright

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »
Another pretty amazing year…

February:  Another trip to Vista Verde, a fine desert course.
March: A round at Nanea GC (David Kidd) on the Big Island. A brawny, fun and scenic golf course.
April:  My first trip to Augusta National. Wow.
May: My first trip to Pine Valley (preceded by lunch and a tour of Merion East with TE Paul and Wayne Morrison). Double wow.
May: Opening of CommonGround; fun rounds with Wyatt Halliday there/thanks to head pro David DiMartino.
June: Another great day trip to Ballyneal where I met up with Jim Colton and several other GCAers.
July: Organized an unofficial GCA gathering for golf @ CommonGround and dinner with our esteemed visitors Ash Towe and Ed Getka.
August/September: Finally getting my youngest daughter out on the golf course, hopefully a harbinger of the future.

Thanks to Ran and GolfClubAtlas.com for 10 great years.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:18:45 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt Bosela

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »
Cory -

124 new courses in '09 alone??!!  :o  I haven't played that many IN MY LIFE. 

I consider myself very lucky once again this year, despite the fact my game went into the toilet.

HIGHLIGHTS

- 9 new courses played in 2009
- Burlington G&CC, St. Thomas G&CC, Tarandowah Golfers Club, Otter Creek, Devil's Pulpit and Westmount G&CC, all in Ontario
- week and a half trip to British Columbia; played Bear Mountain (Mountain Course) and Royal Colwood while in Victoria...only wished I could have met and tipped it up with Dale Jackson but he was working an RCGA event that week
- played Tobiano in Kamloops and my personal highlight of the year was playing 18 holes with Richard Zokol at Sagebrush, one of the finest golf experiences of my life
- GCA Toronto outing at Otter Creek with course architect Dick Kirkpatrick, fellow architect Ian Andrew, writers Rob Thompson, Guy Nicholson and Jeff Brooke and of course, Dave Kemp.  Great group of guys, great golf, great burgers at Ians and of course, Doritos from Ian's son!
- having the Canadian Tour Championship at our club this year, the flagship event on that Tour
- having the earliest open (March 18th) and latest close (December 2nd) in our club's history: 259 potential days of golf.

LOWLIGHTS

- played less golf this year than I have in many years (less than 50 rounds)
- my friends were right about my handicap soaring after my son was born in October of '08: I went from a 1.7 all the way up to a six before settling around a 5 near the end of the year.  No subpar rounds this year.
- only got in 7 holes at St. Thomas before getting rained out...drove to Tarandowah, trying to make the best of it and a funnel cloud had us running for cover after only 4 holes!  It was the second time we've been rained out at St. Thomas and I still haven't played a full 18 there
- didn't play one round in the US this year...don't remember the last time that happened.
- business continues to be terrible in the Niagara Region and bad economy = work harder and golf less

Many thanks to Ran and Ben for giving us these forums to discuss our passion with course architecture.  I look forward to meeting more of you in the years to come!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
National.

Then asking Tiger about his swearing and club slamming at the PGA.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
My highlight was playing The Old Course with my (then) 14 year old daughter.
Along with Castle Stuart, Nairn, Dornoch, Kingsbarns, Gleneagles King's.
And going toThe Open for the first time.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
Merion for two days in September...walked and walked and walked and watched the best of the GBI and USA sides.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
- Finally finding a decent track near Carlsbad- Barona Creek! played it twice. In my mind the only public option in the San Diego area...
- Discovering a couple of great public tracks in the Chicago area - Ravisloe country Club went public after 107 years, great old Ross track redone by David Esler in '03.  And Shepherd's Crook- interesting Keith Foster design that favors the ground game. A great muni.
- 4 rounds in 3 days at Tamarack C.C. in Greenwich, a still unheralded Steamshovel Banks track
- Lawsonia Links.  One of my favorites.  It was in the low 40s and windy, I was one of the few brave souls on the course, and I couldn't have had a better time. The best course for the money I've ever played.
- WeKoPa Saguaro in a few weeks!
- and last but not least, my 10 year old broke 100, twice!!!  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:43:36 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
I'm torn between the two days I spent at Wolf Point with Mike Nuzzo in February, and my hike round the Lost Farm at Barnbougle Dunes in 100kph winds a few weeks ago.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
Highlight of my year... getting to play Prairie Dunes with Sir Thomas Huckaby...

How about this second shot to #18!!

John Moore II

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
My highlight was probably getting to play in Alaska. That was a lot of fun, if the weather was crazy. That was probably the only really noteworthy course I played in 2009. Though it was a lot of fun to play Oak Hollow with Ed Getka, that was a good day as well.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
Being chosen by Captain Jim Campbell to represent Royal Dornoch in the annual match against Strathpeffer.  On the 197 yd third hole, my 2 iron tee shot flew the green, hit a sign, and bounced back across the green into the hole.

It was the fourth ace of my life.  I have the other three balls in a crystal receptacle in my golf room.  I gave this particular ball to the captain of Strathpeffer.  It lies in their bar on top of the bottle of Royal Dornoch club whiskey Captain Jim presented to the home team's captain.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back