News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Re: Highlight of 2009
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
2009 was my best year in terms of golf courses played as I played throughout the US and made my first trip to England, but the highlight of the year was playing in the Swat Party again this year at Oakmont and making five birdies on the first day, 4 of which were on 4 of the 5 hardest par 4s on the course.  I don't know who that guy was and there has been no sign of him since!

Jim Tang

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 10:50:18 PM »
First time trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland in July was just fantastic as well as a second visit to Ballyneal to compete in the first ever Ballynizzle Cup.  Good times!!!!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
2009 was my best year as well...

1 - Discovered Mark Twain in Elmira NY... Ross Gem!
2 - Finished my thesis on Tillinghast design and Quaker Ridge
3 - Golf Experience of a lifetime courtesy of Renaissance Golf at Bandon including playing Old Mac with Tom.... Thanks Tom!
4 - First trip to the UK... flew to Heathrow the day after I graduated from college... TOC, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Castle, Queenwood x4 and BMW final round
5 - Spent a week at WF looping in the Anderson
6 -  5 days of the US Open where I repeatedly told Bones to break Phil's driver on #6 and 18!
7 - Caddied in the MET Open at Ridgewood
8 - Waited out the rain for over 3 hours to play Yale!
9 - Bridie-ing #1 and #18 at The Ocean Course
10 - Pinehurst #2
11 - Played 5 Donald Ross in 4 days in Pinehurst
12 - Was the only person to brave the hurricane and walked all 18 at Pine Needles
13 - Walked all 18 holes of the Dormie Club with Paul Obelsby, courtesy of Jeff Bradley... Thanks!... Its awesome!
14 - Shot my lowest round ever... 75... at Tobacco Road in the middle of a Hurricane... 3 birdies on the back 9 alone helps!
15 - Every day I spend at Quaker Ridge... walked over 3,000 holes

Matt OBrien

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »
My highlight for 2009 was my first trip to sand hills. Words can describe that place. Hope to get back soon. My other highlight was my first private jet ride with a VERY interesting man and a fellow GCA member, home from shinnecock to play aronimink the same day. Which was followed by Pine Valley the next day.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:53:42 AM by Matt OBrien »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
Mark B's course review of Royal Melbourne was the GCA highlight for me this year. Exceptional.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »
My highlight:  For the second year in a row I participated in all 3 GCA majors - the Kings Putter, the Buda Cup and the Dixie Cup!

All three were lots of fun, great to see all the GCAers who show up for these events. 

The golfing highlight was playing the great links courses of Southeast England......Rye, Littlestone, Royal St Georges and Royal Cinque Ports in the order I played them.  They were all great fun to play, enjoyed them all.  Links golf is the best.

Thanks as always to Ran for organizing this meeting place for those who love classic age golf courses - the classics of early days and the classics of today.  Thanks Ran.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
This was my highlight in 2009:

On Friday, May 29, my Michigan Wolverines had become the Cinderella team in the NCAA Championship held at Inverness in Toledo.  I had not seen Inverness since the 1979 U.S. Open, when I witnessed Lon Hinkle hit the famous drive around the Hinkle tree that had been planted the night before.  (After which, in one of the most inexplicable things the USGA has ever done, they moved the tee markers, giving a new angle around the emergency tree.  Which Lon exploited, for the last time that week.)  Inverness is a wonderful course.

I resolved that Friday afternoon to go watch the finals on the next day, and dropped my other plans.  But that night, after two grueling team matches, as the sun set, Michigan was eliminated in its team match with Texas A&M.  That sent the Aggies into the team-match finals against Arkansas.

When I got to Inverness on Saturday, I had less interest in the two teams than in seeing the golf course again after so many years.  And so I set off to walk the front nine by myself, when there was no play there.  My quick little tour of the Inverness front nine brought me to the 11th hole just as the last match of the day, A&M's Bronson Burgoon versus Razorback Andrew Landry, arrived.  Burgoon was just beginning to have his way with Landry.  Burgoon soon got to 4-up, and I had thought of going to another match, but because I am a GCA member, naturally I thought, "I'll just stay here; people will clear out as this match concludes, and I'll have an easier walk around the inward holes."

What happened next, was the greatest golf match that I have ever witnessed.  The basic story is told here:
http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-golf/recaps/053009aaa.html

And the Texas A&M Aggie website has it all here:
http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-golf/recaps/053009aaj.html

What happened is that Bronson Burgoon, one of the longest hitters in college golf (but not even the longest hitter on the Aggies) went 4-up on Landry (who can't be more than 5'8") through 13.  Then, Landry gritted out a series of pars and birdies to win 14, 15, 16 and 17 in succession, to square the match as the two players stood on the tee of Inverness' fabulous little Par-4 18th.  And by then, the NCAA Championship had come down to this final match.  Landry piped his drive up the left side of the fairway.  Burgoon took it up the riskier right side, which might afford a better angle to the tucked pin.  But Burgoon lost it, and the ball sailed wide right and nestled in the long right rough.  Landry put his second shot solidly into the middle of the green.  Now, the entire championship was on Burgoon's last shot, and I was standing about eight paces away from him.  He pulled his gap wedge from 125, and hit a pure shot, into the ridge that bisects the green.  The ball held for a moment, and then began a slow trickle backwards down the slope to within inches of the cup.  He would be conceded his birdie, and Landry could not make his 35-footer for a tying birdie.  It was over.  I had just witnessed the best shot of the collegiate season, and quite possibly the best shot in all of golf in 2009.

The 2009 NCAA Championship at Inverness was a watershed; Nicklaus spoke to the opening banquet.  It was this year that the NCAA had brought team match-play back as the format, for the first time in decades.  Gone was the PGA Tour-style medal play event where everyone sat around with calculators to figure out which team was winning, or would win.  Now, it was like a college football game and a Ryder Cup rolled into one.  Jack had thought it was a great idea and congratulated the NCAA in his opening remarks.  In the end, it was even better than anyone could have possibly imagined.

I'm so happy I was there.  I may never see a better match, but I think I'll keep trying... ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:12:01 PM by Chuck Brown »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
Chuck...

More magic at Inverness...that place is amazing!!! :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
Ash

No surprises for guessing my highlight of 2009...."meeting" all the USA based GCAers I've read about all these years.

They being: Ed Getka, Bob Huntley, Mike Robin, Donnie Beck, Mike Malone, Rory Connaughton, Kevin Reilly, Wayne Morrison, Jim Thornton, Gene Greco, Mark Chalfant, Neil Reagan, Mike Benham, Mike Bowline, Steve Pierarchi, Sean Leary, John Mayhugh, Mark Chalfant, Jason Mandel, Mark Hissey

Second was viewing / playing all the courses in my "Final Frontier" trip:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40921.msg864760.html#msg864760

Attached are the list of clubhouses therein:
1. Cypress Point
2. Shinnecock Hills
3. Pine Valley
4. NGLA
5. Friars Head
6. Pebble Beach
7. Bandon Resort
8. The Cal Club
9. Riviera
10. Fishers Island
11. Seaview Resort
12. Sand Hills
13. MPCC
14. Quaker Ridge
15. The Valley Club of Montecito
16. Ballyneal
17. Galloway National
18. Atlantic City CC
19. Lancaster
20. Garden City
21. Winged Foot
22. Sebonack
23. Aronimink
24. Bethpage
25. Hidden Creek
26. Olympic
27. Pasatiempo
28. Rolling Green
29. SFGC
30. Merion
etc

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:05:15 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Ash Towe

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »
Doug,

Thanks again for organising the dinner.  It was a fun night and a pleasure to meet everybody.

Kevin,

Looking forward to Januuary 4.  Hopefully the highlight of 2010.

Robin Doodson

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 03:01:07 AM »
Playing Barnbougle and Mach Dunes in the one year was an unexpected treat this year.

Playing Pacific Harbour near Brisbane was also a local highlight.

robin

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2009, 03:19:36 AM »
My highlight of the golfing year is usually meeting up with mates old and new at the Torda Cup.  This year at Portrush & Portstewart proved to be no different.  The Valley Links charmed me with its twists and turns and I actually preferred it to the other two.  

Seeing all sorts of intrepid travelers for Buda this year was fun.  I got to meet a load of guys whose love of the game is admirable.  I still find it amazing that guys cross an ocean to play with total strangers.  Is golf great or what?  The three highlights of my game at Rye:

1.The course.  Rye is a wonderful example of efficient design and its incredible that it is a patchwork of many chiefs.

2. John Tucky Mayhugh's reaction when I told him we have a town near where I grew up that has a reputation for rednecks living there.  It is called Taylor, but is known as TaylorTucky.  John's reaction was a very slow and deliberate "you ass...e".  How else could he reply?

3. Meeting Drinkin' Joe Buehler.  This guy was up for ale.  It didn't matter he had flown overnight and traveled up to Huntercombe for a game, then back down to Rye for dinner.  I tell ya, he has more of what it takes then I do!

I enjoyed a lovely trip to Kiawah, Charleston and the Raleigh area.  Thanks to some wonderful GCAers I got to play Governor's Club and Yeamans Hall along with a game at The Ocean Course with Brent Hutto.  All were a joy and it was especially grand to finally be able to see a Raynor first hand.  

Its always a treat to have guys play one's home course and I thank the chaps who took me up on the offer.  As is par for the course, if anybody finds themselves in the West Country of England, give me a shout and we can try to arrange a game.  

Certainly not the final highlight, but the last one I will mention, my game at Cavendish.  This course knocked my socks off.  I was so impressed with how the land was used and the sort of product that a good archie can create even with tough land.  Dr Mac not only gives us a pleasurable and exciting game at Cavendish, but he does iit with style over some challenging land and yet kept this 5700 yard beaut very walkable.  This was easily my surprise of the year.  It has renewed an interest in seeing Dr Mac courses.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JNC Lyon

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
THE highlight of the year:

Waking up at 4:40 AM on a Saturday to drive from Hamilton, New York to Merion Golf Club for the Walker Cup.  I got to see one of the world's finest courses and meet some great GCAers, including Tom Paul, Bob Crosby, Mike Cirba, Joe Bausch, Pete Pittock, Craig Disher, and many others.  I loved the golf course, and the two-day weekend (capped off by a round at Cobb's Creek in the gloamin') was the trip of the year.

Runner-up:
Caddying for my buddy at the US Am qualifier at Seven Oaks (my second home course) and then playing at Hackensack Golf Club with Bill Brightly the next day.

Distant Third:
Winning the Bagroom Matchplay Championship at CC of Rochester.

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

C. Squier

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »
Highlight was a 10 second conversation when my wife turned to me one Sunday morning and said, "hey, do you want to go hit some balls at the range?"  I just about fell out of bed.  She hasn't made it off the range yet to the course, hopefully next year.  Either way, more range time in lieu of pool time is a positive.

Otherwise, played a few bucket list courses, visited about 45 previously unplayed and was both hosted and played host to new and old friends.  Along those lines, found a new home away from home and the aforementioned wife didn't even chase me down the driveway because of it.  All in all, a successful year and hope to meet even more good people from GCA.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »
I'm torn between the two days I spent at Wolf Point with Mike Nuzzo in February, and my hike round the Lost Farm at Barnbougle Dunes in 100kph winds a few weeks ago.

Playing Wolf Point with Nuzz and my son was a highlight for me as well, and will remain one for a long time.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »
My highlight of my golf year was making a hole in one and winning a trip to Pinehurst and taking my Dad to play #2 on Father's Day.  A close second was playing Mountaintop Golf Club and Wade Hampton in the same day with a good friend.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »
Finding the oldest (maybe) poem (in Latin) that refers to golf (unless it's shinty!).  Circa 1620.  Arthur Johstone. About Montrose.

Jason Topp

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 11:32:43 AM »
Highlight - Standing on the 12th tee of my state am qualifier at 1 over par believing that 3 over would qualify. 

Lowlight - double bogey on the next two holes. 

It was nice to play well enough to have a chance to choke.  I have not had that opportunity since college.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back