News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Ground game not fun?
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
Cink said Tuesday. "Because with tape over the wedges - duct tape, in fact - there was no spin. And it was really not fun to play golf that way."

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1944549,00.html#ixzz0YYOOSdIN

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

Re: Ground game not fun?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Cink said Tuesday. "Because with tape over the wedges - duct tape, in fact - there was no spin. And it was really not fun to play golf that way."

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1944549,00.html#ixzz0YYOOSdIN

Well I think you have to translate what he was really saying:

"Its no good to bomb and gouge anymore because a ball hit from the rough, even with a wedge in hand is now worse to control than hitting a 7-8 iron from further back in the fairway."

P.S.  I like the way Lee Westwood thinks when asked about whether he's tried them from the rough.  He said no because he never intends to be there!   ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Of course even when the square grooves are gone there were still be V-grooves, not duct tape, and those fast swings will generate plenty of spin.

But hopefully this may put a bit of a brake on the 350 yard drives......

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »

Oh dear, life has become just too easy for the modern Professional golfer. Can they not raise themselves to the challenges anymore even with all the money they receive. 

Wonder what happens on a very windy day, do they all go home and just leave the likes of old Greg Norman to show the modern pampered – gollfffl (no can’t bring myself to call them that, they are just overpaid pampered people who seem to have forgotten that golf is all about the challenge) – the way to play the real game of golf. But then why should we be surprised, they can’t seem to do much without yardage information and rely on a caddy to give then the right club, yet they still moan.

Golf in the 21 Century seems a forgotten pastime and the memorial to the Ground Game is  “REST IN PEACE”.

Makes you proud of the PGA and all Professionals, must order some yellow paint or better still remind them of the SAS motto “Who Dares Wins”.

Just a thought ;)

Melvyn

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »
I think Cink is doing the duct tape "experiment" so that his wedges will be extra sticky from the tape side when he removes it.  He's no dummy.  Let's just hope the balls don't actually stick to his club.  He'll look like Milli Vanilli getting busted in the middle of a concert.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »
I think Cink is doing the duct tape "experiment" so that his wedges will be extra sticky from the tape side when he removes it.  He's no dummy.  Let's just hope the balls don't actually stick to his club.  He'll look like Milli Vanilli getting busted in the middle of a concert.

If he does that in competition it'll be as illegal as the dob of Vaseline we used to put on wood face drivers to cut down on side spin!

C. Squier

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
Once again, the treehouse confuses the giggle-fest game we play with someone's job.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »
Once again, the treehouse confuses the giggle-fest game we play with someone's job.  

Clint,

And what is wrong with requiring one to use more judgement and skill to be successful at thier job?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
My guess is that it wasn't fun because he was probably playing a golf course designed for the aerial, spin-control game.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
And Cinks favorite course in the world....Whistling Straits   ::)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
My guess is that it wasn't fun because he was probably playing a golf course designed for the aerial, spin-control game.

Agreed...I don't know what course he played when he did this (unless the article mentioned it and I missed it).

Stewart Cink, like most PGA pros, probably defines golf as "my job, which requires me to shoot the lowest score possible".  If he suddenly cannot spin the ball as much, and went out and played in a vacuum (not against competitors), in his mind his job just got harder which is not fun.

Or maybe golf is just not as much fun when you duct tape your clubs.  If indeed you get NO spin when you duct tape your clubs, I'm sure it isn't as much fun.  You've got to be able to control your ball a little, if all you're hitting is knuckleballs then you can't move it at all.  I have to be honest, I've never duct taped my clubs so I don't know how dramatic the effect is.

A friend of mine used to have a "Duct Tape Man" costume that he wore on Halloween several years in a row.  It was a full-body superhero outfit, constructed entirely of duct tape.  Every year he added a new accessory - cape, mask, shield, sword, etc.  It was pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:52:42 PM by JLahrman »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 07:39:38 PM »
M. Lahrman,

I believe he did it during the World Challenge prep at Sherwood.

I also believe it is "not fun", because it renders his play much more like the average Joe, well maybe a wee bit above average.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »
Well that would make sense if it were at Sherwood, which I do not believe has been designed with the ground game in mind.

It seems that many want to take Cink's comments and use them to imply that either:
a) pro golfers are spoiled whiners
b) pro golfers are robots
c) pro golfers except for Geoff Ogilvy don't understand a lick about GCA

All of which may be true.  I don't think one comment from Cink - used to describe a round that he played after putting duct tape on the face of all his clubs - can be used as evidence of any of those statements though.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »

We are all just mere mortals trying to struggle through our allotted time on this small planet. Some are gifted, some are not, some are tolerant and some are not. There are many who can play golf but prefer it stacked in their favour then there is the majority who just have to shut up and get on with life and all the challenges it throws at us.

Perhaps that is why we feel it right to voice our freedom of thought and opinions from time to time, after all is this not such an outlet. I can’t really call it a DG, as there are many who want to silence others or seem happy to abuse those who do not seem willing to agree.

Freedom of thought still needs to be fought for even on GCA.com, perhaps more so now than ever before.

To play golf you must face the challenge of the course and play to the conditions as so well shown by Greg Norman in last year Open. The ground game can be the lifeblood of the round IMHO. 

Melvyn

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »
O Rosa Parks of GCA, please forgive me for expressing my own thoughts on Mr. Cink's remark, which merely contrasted with the thoughts of others and did not seek to silence those brave voices.

Godwin's Law does not include mentions of Rosa Parks, does it?

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 12:16:40 AM »
Garland -

Sorry, but the premise of this thread is dubious at best. To take a few comments of the golfer who just this summer won the British Open and translate/interpolate them into the notion that Cink is saying or implying that "the ground game is not fun" is a real stretch. I don't think Cink is saying anything of the sort.

To cope with the new v-grooves, the pros will switch to softer balls that spin a bit more. They will lose some distance and will try a bit harder to stay out of the rough off the tee. In a couple of months, they will pretty much be back to playing their usual games. End of story.

DT

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 12:45:25 AM »
Or, perhaps they'll switch to Wishon wedges.  From his August eTECH REPORT:

"Golfers using TWGT designs with the Micro-Groove scorelines in 2010 in competitions that require grooves that conform to the new USGA scoreline rule will be glad to know the grooves are already OK under the guidelines of the rule.

What’s interesting to TWGT is the fact that every form of controlled hit testing done with clubheads that are designed with the Micro-Groove scorelines has shown that TWGT’s unique groove design does increase backspin over conventional, presently conforming U-grooves. For golfers looking for every edge in the game, isn’t it interesting to know that TWGT has developed a scoreline design that not only is OK under the new scoreline rule, but which can deliver more backspin than the type of scoreline the USGA is trying to get rid of in their effort to make elite players use clubs which spin the ball less.
"

Wouldn't it be ironic if the manufacturers all develop score lines that conform and provide equal or more spin than the U-grooves.  I hope Wishon has some patents on his grooves.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
Garland -

Sorry, but the premise of this thread is dubious at best. To take a few comments of the golfer who just this summer won the British Open and translate/interpolate them into the notion that Cink is saying or implying that "the ground game is not fun" is a real stretch. I don't think Cink is saying anything of the sort.

To cope with the new v-grooves, the pros will switch to softer balls that spin a bit more. They will lose some distance and will try a bit harder to stay out of the rough off the tee. In a couple of months, they will pretty much be back to playing their usual games. End of story.

DT

What premise? Is not a premise an assertion? How does a question become a premise? ;)

My assertion was that he found it not fun, because it was harder to score like he needs to do to maintain his lifestyle. ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
Garland -

Than your "assertion" is mistaken (and I still don't see how it relates to whether the "ground game" is fun or not).

When the new groove rules go into effect, Cink will not be the only golfer required to compete with those grooves. Nothing Cink said in the article (as I understand it) implied he thought he would be at a disadvantage, relative to his peers, with the new equipment. If the new grooves make it marginally harder for him to score (say 1/3 of a stroke a ground), won't it be just as hard for his peers?

DT   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back