News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Big Break --- Give us a break, try a real course!
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
Can someone call up Vince Cellini.....get ahold of the Golf Channel???

I would be so much more interested in this show if they held it at a more interesting venue.

Rank the courses from previous episodes:

Old Course
Carnoustie
Trump LA
Mill River GC
Turtle Bay
Boyne Highlands
Kaanapali Ki
Treetops
Disney World Magnolia
Stallion Mountain
Oasis GC
Disney World Palm

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tony Weiler

Re: Big Break --- Give us a break, try a real course!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »
Michael, wasn't the Old Course just for one episode?  I thought Trump LA looked pretty good, as did Turtle Bay.  Don't remember some of the other, some pretty bland. 

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
The Las Vegas course was in visibly awful shape as I recall.  Venues for Big Break are TV-driven, which means dollar-driven.  Who pays to get their course exposure.

With Disney, production costs are less than other places due to proximity.  TGC HQ is only about 20 minutes away.

I have spoken to people at TGC and it is pretty obvious they look at people like us as a very small minority.

Bandon Dunes will be the venue of the Big Break when they pay the price.  Not when someone decides, wouldn't it be cool to have this at Bandon?!!?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
I concur...a Bandon Big Break would be the most successful ever!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jason McNamara

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »
And for clarification, Carnoustie was the relief course, wasn't it?

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
Michael, wasn't the Old Course just for one episode?  I thought Trump LA looked pretty good, as did Turtle Bay.  Don't remember some of the other, some pretty bland. 

Anthony,

Not that you would know different from looking at it, but Trump LA is a crime against nature in terms of golf architecture. I might start a thread one day detailing how much is wrong with that course and how it could've been so much better. Not all of it was Dye/Trump's fault as there were many environmental restrictions on the course, and of course the 18th fell into the ocean a few years back. Additionally, the condition they keep it in is anything but conducive to the "Links" style it goes for. I played it on Sunday and the greens were around an 8, and the fairways were saturated with water, this after an unseasonably hot week in SoCal.

I don't understand why the went to Mesquite and did not use Wolf Creek GC, that seems like the obvious choice to me.

I've played Turtle Bay and agree that is a great course. It may have been the best to watch on television, but I know I would prefer to be on Carnoutsie or TOC as a contestant.

-Alex

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:11:10 AM »
I know Mike Perez on the present competition and have played with him. The guy hits the ball a ton. I amazed he's never made it on tour. I think he's just as good, if not better, than his brother Pat.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Don Hyslop

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »
When Big Break came to Prince Edward Island, it was suggested that they film at the Links at Crowbush Cove, a course far superior to Mill River, in my opinion, but the Golf Chanel replied that the "Links" did not meet their needs. Why? Who knows they didn't offer an explanation. There are numerous courses on PEI that are more appealing than Mill River.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Steve Burrows

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »
Why should the location of the competition even matter?  It could be held at a complete goat ranch, dog track, or otherwise, and it would still ultimately be player vs. player (well, at least within the confines of the various challenges), right?  It's an obviously "made-for-television" experience, to be sure, so, as suggested, it might bring in more viewers if contested at a more "interesting" venue, but it doesn't change the skill-set of the players one bit if it were held, for example, at the Black course at Bethpage, or at the Red or Green.

Interestingly, the Big Break website shows that these kids play out of some pretty well known clubs: Garden City (Susan Lucci's son), Trump National (Guiliani's son), The Ocean Course, Torrey Pines, Bay Hill.   
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »

I would be so much more interested in this show if they held it at a more interesting venue.

Rank the courses from previous episodes:

Old Course
Carnoustie
Trump LA
Mill River GC
Turtle Bay
Boyne Highlands
Kaanapali Ki
Treetops
Disney World Magnolia
Stallion Mountain
Oasis GC
Disney World Palm

Does it really matter what course they put a wall to lob shots over or break glass?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »

kind of like the Ryder Cup... :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back