News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Blake

#2 for $222
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »
Sorry if this is old news but it's one heck of a deal:

http://www.pinehurst.com/packages/play-no-2-for-222

Through Feb '10 $222 gets you:

-a round on #2
-accomodations
-breakfast buffet

I played it maybe 10 years ago and green fees alone were $200.  Must be double that now.

What's the winter weather like in Pinehurst?

Lou_Duran

Re: #2 for $222
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
Bill Steele did this enroute back to Ohio from the DC.  I hope that he posts about his experience.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »
I played on a similar deal a couple of years ago and the weather was sunny and in the high 50's.  Our caddy mentioned it snowed the weekend before and the course was closed for a couple of days. 

astavrides

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
this is based on double occupancy.  for a single the price is like $300.

Billsteele

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »
At the Dixie Cup, I made a spur of the moment call to Pinehurst after learning about this deal. My original plan was to head to the Pinehurst area, stay at a Hampton Inn and play Tobacco Road. However, this seemed to be a better alternative for the money. With single occupancy at the Carolina, the whole tab was around $320. Since I ate at the Pinecrest Inn on Sunday night, the breakfast buffet got off fairly easy.
The last time I played #2 was in the mid-1980's. At that time, it was three days and two nights with breakfast and golf (including #2) for $189...sigh. I cannot remember if the Diamondhead Corporation still owned Pinehurst or had sold it off, but I do remember the old World Golf Hall of Fame sitting behind what I believe was the 4th green.
My impressions of #2 remain what they were some twenty plus years ago. For a very fine test of golf, it is about as painless a round as you can play if you accept par as a good score and acknowledge that some bogeys are inevitable.. The corridors of play are very wide (even though the mowing patterns still come inside the majority of fairway bunkers), the challenge is all in the approach shots and around the greens. Anything over the greens is practically dead (or at least a one shot penalty due to the difficulty in getting it close to a back pin given the steep drop off and the greens sloping away from you). One of the things I did not remember is how deep some of the greenside bunkers are and how intimidating shots are from some of them (I found the bunker to the left of the first par three and could only see the top half of the flagstick).
The temperature was 75 degrees on the Monday after the Dixie Cup with brilliant sunshine. I was in the second group off at 8:10, finished by 12:30 and was back home in Ohio by 9:00 that evening. It was an enjoyable way to finish my Dixie Cup travels. Also, after playing Palmetto, Aiken and Camden, the greens at #2 almost seemed tame by comparison. I would estimate they were running at about 10 and were in beautiful condition.
It's hard to say that $222 is a bargain for a round of golf but with a rack rate close to $400 a round and the lodging and breakfast thrown in, it is definitely worth checking out...especially if you have never played #2. I think the deal expires on February 25.

Steve Kline

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
Bill - you don't remember the bunkers being that deep because they were deepend for the U.S. Opens I think. Also, over the green is not always bad on #. Depending on where the pin is over the green is the preferrred miss. Here are the holes where I've found over the green to be good (depending on hole location) based on my couple of hundred times around the course - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 17. There may be others but they really depend on where the flag is and if you are off the back corner and not the back center.

Also, I played #2 last week as the guest of a member (my dad) and it only cost $99. That deal lasts "through the holidays."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back