News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Canoe Brook Questions
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:20:22 AM »
Have both courses essentially evolved into Rees Jones designs?  Is there much Travis and/or Colt/Alison left?  Not many clubs, if any, can claim that lineage.  I assume both the Short Hills Mall and the Interstate played havoc with the original layouts.  Have the courses been compromised as a result?

Ed

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Canoe Brook Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
Ed,

Yes, the courses have been compromised by RT 24.
But, I think Canoe Brook did a reasonably good job with the rerouting/realigning of the two courses

It was my understanding that par had never been broken on the North Course in competition until Wes Ellis did so in the Met Open.

The North Course was the harder of the two, by far.

I think the impact of RT 24 was more substantial on the North Course.

I always wondered if Canoe Brook could have worked out a routing of RT 24 that might have left the North Course intact, while impacting the South course more significantly.

Why would you assume or suggest that both courses have evolved into Rees Jones designs ?

What is a Rees Jones design ?

How many of his original courses have you played ?

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
Pat, thanks for the response.  I am not assuming or suggesting they have evolved into Rees designs.  Rather, I was asking that question of those who might know.  Actually my primary goal was more to find out what of Travis' and Colt/Alison's work survives than anything relating to Rees, so I probably should have led with that concept rather than the sentance on Rees.  In any event, the club's website only mentions Travis and Colt/Alison in passing (if I'm not mistaken, they've misspelled Alison's name) while providing a good bit of detail on Rees' work:

https://canoebrook.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=39764

Ed

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
Ed,

I first began playing Canoe Brook in the 50's before the 6+ lane RT 24 was built.
When I was playing the course I only knew that it was very challenging, but, I liked the presentation.
I believe an old abandoned hole remains on the North Course, an old par 3.

I don't know how much of the original work remained in the 50's and would have to make a visit to tell you what might be there currently.

I recall NOT liking the changes forced on the North Course by RT 24, but, there was little that could be done to prevent them.

Whenever a course has 36 or 27 holes I always ask members their playing preference.
I wish I could have taken a Pre and Post RT 24 survey.

Does Canoe Brook have a club history book, like so many other old clubs in the area ?
If so, that could be a great resource for you.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
I know that they have been doing a good amount of construction / renovation work there on the north course, I was out on the site about 3 weeks ago. I dont remember the hole #, but they were shifting a fairway bunker from the right side, to the left. Rees is the consulting architect, but the construction forman was saying that Rees himself hasn't made any visits to the site, and sends a different associate every time.

Also last year they ripped up 4 fairways (the ones closest to the highway on the north course) and put down 4 inches of sand.

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:15:06 AM »
Pat, looks like a history book was done for the club's centennial...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Canoe-Brook-Country-Club-1901-2001/William-L-Quirin/e/9781931169004

How do you think Canoe Brook holds up against the other area competition?

Ed

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
Ed,

With two 18's I think it holds up very well.

It has two distinct golf courses, one, very challenging and one, more user friendly.

The two courses have a different flavor, not unlike Baltusrol's two courses, so members have a nice choice.

The one short coming might be the limited practice facility/ies.

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't want to belong to Canoe Brook.

Ed Oden

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »
Thanks Pat.  I must have driven by Canoe Brook a thousand times when I was a kid but have never set foot on its grounds.  Hopefully I can change that some day.

Ed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back