News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: #2 Best New for 2009? Palouse Ridge? Really?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 08:14:31 PM »
well PR has that other huge detriment, raucous college students. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
I would imagine that WV and Tetherow will both be fairly housing free for the next 5 to 10 years at least?

With the spectacular setting available at Tetherow I think it is too bad that they were not able to build more of a "core" course which would have made the routing more intimate, made walking easier, but still allowed Kidd to make use of the incredible aesthetics.

Is WV intended to be more of a core course or will houses line the fairways as the do on some holes at Tetherow (and then around the perimeter as well)?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »
I would imagine that WV and Tetherow will both be fairly housing free for the next 5 to 10 years at least?

With the spectacular setting available at Tetherow I think it is too bad that they were not able to build more of a "core" course which would have made the routing more intimate, made walking easier, but still allowed Kidd to make use of the incredible aesthetics.

Is WV intended to be more of a core course or will houses line the fairways as the do on some holes at Tetherow (and then around the perimeter as well)?

Rob,

As Memory recalls, they will only be able to put houses on the exterior of the course for the most part.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:18 AM »
I think you fellows should have a look at their respective land plans, you'll see a much different picture.

http://www.winevalleygolfclub.com/wine-valley-golf-club_master-plan

http://www.tetherow.com/   -you'll have to navigate to their 'community' section

Robb,
'Housing free' for a few years is a good thing, but I can't think it will help in the long run.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »
Jim,

Thats interesting....certainly more internal housing than I would have thought.

All the more reason to go check it out now while its all wide open!!   ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »
Kalen,
Yes, get there now, before the crush. 

I understand that housing makes a great number of these places possible, but what I don't understand is why that housing needs to envelop the whole property. Put it to one side or cluster it in small areas. I honestly think it's laziness on the part of planners who don't look at alternatives that could generate the same revenues. For instance, how much would be saved by smaller infrastructure, i.e., less road, sewer pipe, electric, sidewalk, etc., to a 'cluster' than dragging the whole kit and kaboodle around the miles needed to service the periphery? On the other hand, owners want to maximize every dollar that their property can give them.

It's just that once in a while, when I see a property as stunningly beautiful as that found at WV and it's environs, I think there is the potential to create something that can have a long range impact on what a golf course could and should be. That gets mucked up somewhat when it's surrounded by a development, for me anyway.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »
The thing to notice about Wine Valley vs. Tetherow is the green to tee distances. At Tetherow there is some significant distances used to cross roads. At Wine Valley you don't even notice that there might be roads to cross. A second thing to notice is that Tetherow is built in a community that is known for its high growth. The feasibilty of the housing project is quite believable. At Wine Valley, it just seems to be a wish more than anything. There is no other golf course of note in the area, whereas at Bend there are many. Wine Valley is well outside of a relatively small town, whereas Tetherow is right at the edge of existing development in a much larger and far faster growing community. Wine Valley will have little clutter from homes far longer than Tetherow in my opinion.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

Re: Matching two of Harbottle's courses. Palouse Ridge vs. Juniper
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2009, 01:44:53 PM »
Bump for new title.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back