News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Reciprocal Golf
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:37:13 PM »
I was talking to a pro recently and he told me a good amount  of private clubs these days don't really allow reciprocal play when he calls them up.  Do you find this the case?  You would think in today's troubled economy, private clubs would welcome some outside play from other clubs private members.  I know in Europe it's the norm to allow outside play on private clubs- it may cost a wee bit o money. ;)

Mike McGuire

Re: Reciprocal Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
The elite clubs don't need to bother.

To the middle tier clubs reciprocals could be a good way to add value your members without raising fees. We have formed some reciprocals with other clubs at a discount. Recently even a private hunt club.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
Reciprocal rights still exist in Australia, but only between clubs that have made private arrangements with each other.

Rick Sides

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
The pro told me that even local clubs- not real high end clubs, sometimes don't allow reciprocal play.  He said years ago it was very different.  He could call most non-elite clubs, and they would welcome visitors and their greens fees.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Another observation I have is that alot of the pros know each other and sometimes how your pro is perceived by his or her peers can make a difference.In Chicago only 3 clubs that I know of will not be open to your private club pro calling. You may not be playing at prime times understandably as well. Also the unaccompanied guest rate can be steep at some of the Chicago clubs so you have to decide if that is worth it or not.
                                                                                                                            Jack
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:14:38 PM by Jack Crisham »

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
You'd be surprised what clubs you can get on in this manner, particularly when not in peak season. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 04:42:31 AM »
The 8 club of the melbourne sand belt have taken the "reciprocal" arrangement a step further to be more of an added benefit.

1. Each club member may play at the other 7 sand belt clubs once a year with the payment of the members guest fee of $60, they can also introduce guests if there is room at $100 a head.

2. twice a year the clubs swap venues for their Saturday competition. That is the RMGC members play at the Heath and vice versa. There is a 4 year roster so all clubs swap with each other in that time.

The members use the games at other courses regularly and all look forward to the swap day. The swap day started as 1 a year without Metro and RM involved, they jumped in the 2nd year and it has gone to 2 days from next year.

A value add to the members benefits. The clubs involved are:

RMGC
Kingston Heath
Victoria
Commonwealth
Peninsula
Metropolitan
Yarra Yarra
Huntingdale

D_Malley

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 08:18:36 AM »
doesn't RMGC also have a reciprocal arrangement with NSW

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »
My experience with Australia is the major clubs especially the Royals have out of state reciprocals with each other.

There also tends to be out GB&I reciprocals between many Royal clubs.

In the UK many clubs play interclub matches which allow team members access to clubs at peak times.
Cave Nil Vino

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Here in Philadelphia there is and has been a certain degree of reciprocity amongst various clubs but it seems in most every case they involve clubs where a pretty good number of members know one another.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »
Regarding reciprocal arrangements within Royal Clubs, most are very accommodating.  Royal Colwood in Victoria has formalized reciprocals with 43 Royals.  These include all the Canadian and Australian Royals, 1 in NZ, 3 in Asia and many in the UK, including Royal Dornoch, West Norfolk and Cinque Ports.

Each of the clubs differ in the number of these relationships they have, some have enthusiastically reached out to all the other Royals, like we have, others are less involved.

The only Royals that tend to not enter these relationships are those on the Open rota, they would be swamped by visitors, although some of them will informally offer Guest of Member rates to visitors from overseas Royal club members.

Being part of this Royal family of clubs is something every club cherishes.  It is a very nice part of belonging to one them.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Kenny Baer

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
As long as you are flexible in the time you can play then most clubs will accomodate you at the unaccompanied guest rate. The ones that don't are the ones you would think don't.

Rick Sides

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:28:06 PM »
Kenny,
Do you mean if a pro calls?  Because I know most clubs thta are private would not allow you to play anytime unless a pro calls.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »
Atlanta reciprocals seem to be very active.  Like Rick said, my pro makes a call and I get on.  Of course, you've got to pay a greens fee and take what tee time you can get...but I think most clubs (even high end ones) seem to be open to this...as long as a respected pro makes the call...this is kind of like a recommendation from the pro making the call.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
doesn't RMGC also have a reciprocal arrangement with NSW
No.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »
We have agreed to reciprocals with several clubs in about a 100 mile radius around Charlotte.  We are trying to stick with golf-oriented, Donald Ross designs.  These relationships are great for guys on business or heading out on a golf trip.  The tee times must be made in advance and non-members pay full guest fees.  We might do twenty rounds a month.  Its a great member amenity. 

However, some boards just don't "get it" and focus on what they are giving up rather than what they are gaining for their membership.  More power to them!

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
I've found that it depends on how well connected your club's head pro is. Giving plenty of advance notice helps too.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back