News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

An Environmental Upside To Golf Courses
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »
Interesting article in the Guardian on golf courses providing useful bird habitats:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/02/rspb-bird-golf-course

Cory Brown

Re: An Environmental Upside To Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »
It's nice that they noted the ability for golf courses to enhance wildlife and bird habitat, but that article really was a bit of a disaster.  "Greens saturated with weed killing chemicals".  Really?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »
Having recently seen Shoreline again, an old capped garbage dump, I was impressed with the number of birds, and people watching them. The park ha grown into a great place for everyone, not just golfers.

It also helps that it resides directly on a migratory path.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
birds equals birdsh*t... :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:48:14 PM »
birds equals birdsh*t... :-\

Jud,

Interesting you mention this because at Shoreline golf course that Adam mentions....when I played it a few years back the 10th hole most notably and a few other adjacent ones to the water were pretty brutal in the bird poop department.  Lets just say I couldn't even walk down the 10th fairway without stepping in a few here and there as they were beyond plentiful!!   :-X  ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »
Yeah, it is interesting that you mention birds.

Seems that blubirds nesting on golf courses where pesticides are used have lighter birthweights, and they remain lighter as chicks, than do blubirds nesting in areas where no pesticides are being used.  Plus, there is no difference in feeding cycles or amounts of food ingested.

No one knows why.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back