News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: A Pictorial: North Berwick West Links!!! (18th Hole Posted)
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
I played there in 206 & 7 and have never seen this,  often  referred to, "Insurance Form".  Has it gone, and if so does anyone know when?

I didn't realize the course was quite that old!!!  ;D ;)
Tony hides the years well. He was lucky to get to North Berwick in 206, since this meant crossing Hadrian's wall.  Early English courses, of course, did not start to appear until the Romans left in circa 400 AD.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »
I played there in 206 & 7 and have never seen this,  often  referred to, "Insurance Form".  Has it gone, and if so does anyone know when?

Tony hides the years well. He was lucky to get to North Berwick in 206, since this meant crossing Hadrian's wall.  Early English courses, of course, did not start to appear until the Romans left in circa 400 AD.

I was primarily educated in American public schools, meaning that I know little to nothing of world history. So, to clarify:

-Isn't Hadrian's wall in China?

I hope to see you stateside someday soon, Sir Mark.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

James Boon

« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
Thank you to all who made this trip possible and to all that have participated in these cyber-memoirs.

Kyle,

I don't think I'm speaking only for myself when I saw it is we who should be thanking you.

Kyle,

I agree with Scott! Thank you for all these threads of your tour of Scotland!

As far as the 18th at NB is concerned when I played I went through the car park and parked the car around the corner. My brother and his mate who were with me thought I was nuts as there were plenty of spaces in the car park but when we got to the 18th tee, it was clear to them why I'd done it! At the time, I wasn't aware that my greenfee included an insurance policy! Also, the links was very busy the day I played with people crossing over to the beach. I cant remember, but does anyone recall if the insuarnce policy protects you for hitting people as well as cars?

Thanks once again,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ian Andrew

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »
Thanks Kyle,

I have tried to steer everyone I know who has ever planned a trip to Scotland to North Berwick.

I just went through the entire thread and was "homesick" for NB.

Thanks for all the images and beginning the discussion - one of the better ones.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
Ian,

I have a great deal of loyalty to Ballybunion and think of it as my second home. But, North Berwick is nothing less than paradise. It has to be the most enjoyable place in golf.
Tim Weiman

Mark Pearce

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »

I was primarily educated in American public schools, meaning that I know little to nothing of world history. So, to clarify:

Kyle,

The emperor Hadrian, being smarter than your average Roman, worked out that there was nothing north of what is now the English border capable of being civilised, so built a wall, from the Wesrt to East coast of Northern England to keep the barbarians out.  Much of the wall still remains.  Indeed, as I type I am onl a couple of miles from the town (now more a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne) of Wallsend, where, as may be obvious from the name, the wall ended at its Eastern end.

I'm working on that trip to the States.  I'm probably going to be in Boston in May, for a conference, but whether I can swing a trip to California in the same visit is a big issue.  It's on my list, however.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »

Kyle,

The emperor Hadrian, being smarter than your average Roman, worked out that there was nothing north of what is now the English border capable of being civilised, so built a wall, from the Wesrt to East coast of Northern England to keep the barbarians out.  Much of the wall still remains.  Indeed, as I type I am onl a couple of miles from the town (now more a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne) of Wallsend, where, as may be obvious from the name, the wall ended at its Eastern end.

I'm working on that trip to the States.  I'm probably going to be in Boston in May, for a conference, but whether I can swing a trip to California in the same visit is a big issue.  It's on my list, however.

Thank you for assuming I was being serious, Mark. I forgot the smiley face to indicate the facetious intent of my last message, but I would (sadly)probably be in the majority of my American generation if I truly had little to no knowledge of Roman history.

I'll be a bit tied up in May, what with the getting married and all, but the King's Putter is coming at the end of that month!

Scott, James, Ian, Greg, et al.,

You're welcome! Thanks for the kind words and your own contributions to the DG!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mark Pearce

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
Kyle,

I don't do smileys and did wonder if you were being facetious but the opportunity to describe the Scots as barbarians was too good to pass up.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
Kyle,

I don't do smileys and did wonder if you were being facetious but the opportunity to describe the Scots as barbarians was too good to pass up.

Careful, Mark, the "barbarians" will have your photo posted in the checkpoints in the wall awaiting your next visit to North Berwick!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »

Acta non verba  (Action not words) should have been the motto of the R&A

If the truth were told, Hadrian’s Wall was designed to stop the Romans from sneaking up to Fife for a quick game, as many from North England still do to this day. 

The Romans where finally replaced by the Links Trust who still tax you for playing at St Andrews. The only difference is that the locals today get a discount for playing on their own course.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »

Acta non verba  (Action not words) should have been the motto of the R&A

If the truth were told, Hadrian’s Wall was designed to stop the Romans from sneaking up to Fife for a quick game, as many from North England still do to this day. 

The Romans where finally replaced by the Links Trust who still tax you for playing at St Andrews. The only difference is that the locals today get a discount for playing on their own course.

Melvyn

MHM, if I recall correctly, that is the motto of the Painswick Golf Club!   8)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
Bill,

I'm OK.  I actually live just north of where the wall ran (in fact I cross the line of the wall every day travelling to and from the office), so I don't have to cross it to get to NB or Fife.  After the Romans left we English were able to civilise another 70 miles or so of what is now Northumberland, up to Berwick upon Tweed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »
Bill,

I'm OK.  I actually live just north of where the wall ran (in fact I cross the line of the wall every day travelling to and from the office), so I don't have to cross it to get to NB or Fife.  After the Romans left we English were able to civilise another 70 miles or so of what is now Northumberland, up to Berwick upon Tweed.

Whew, that's a relief!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »
Kyle,
Great pics of the "sandy moat."  I've been looking forward to those. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
The Roman's were a crafty bunch they had two walls, Hadrian’s and Antonine Walls - miss you at one get you at the next.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:28:32 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back