News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

We had many good suggestions last spring for what should constitute the next Armchair Architecture Contest. In addition we had some other suggestions come up in the mean time, and I've got a few of my own. Here is a quick rundown of items brought up to me.

• find an armed services golf course in need of upgrade and use it as the basis for the contest
  • Phil Young had a Tilly-based contest possibility
  • Jim Thompson mentioned having some topos for an actual possible site somewhere
  • I could find another site and keep it a secret for the duration of the contest and then we could compare the entrants to the original

There are a couple of other things to consider as well. Last time we used what was a new software for most of the contestants (google sketchup) I liked it because it was free and it gave us usable 3-dimensional views of the holes. The downside was it had a high learning curve and required a lot of support and a fast machine. Do we want to use it exclusively again? Also, there was the fact that we had designed 18 holes, which was a lot of work. Both of these things probably conspired to keep participation low, should we change it up a bit?

I am inclined to make things a bit less involved, in order to spur more participation, but I don't wish to do so at the expense of the fun and deep learning that I believe went on with last years' contestants, judges, and myself.

One suggestion is to perhaps keep the contest at 18 holes but only require contestants to do sketchup (i.e. get good 3D, ground-level images) for one hole only, but dress it up as accurately as possible to show us what their stylistic and strategic ideas would look like. While the rest of it would be a routing on the topo map and a decent write-up.

Another one is to let people get into groups if they wish so as to spread the work out a bit. That's fine by me, but my guess is routing is something that is not best done by committee. So if you get into a group I suggest there be one person who has final say in the matter or else hurt feelings may result.

Please give me your thoughts on this, especially if you would like to be a contestant!

A last couple of housekeeping notes. I've still got to finish the prizes from last year (custom scorecards for the participants) but I'm about 3/4 done. I apologize for being so late with these, once done I'll get them printed at the local print shop and mailed out.

Also I was going to post a big write-up on sketchup. Unfortunately I was working on a jump drive which I subsequently lost. So I think rather than a big masters thesis on it, it will now need to be just a discussion as I don't have time to duplicate the whole write-up.

P.S. I'll post a graphic with all of the entries from last year here in a little bit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:29:04 AM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

Re: It's about time to consider next year's Armchair Architecture Contest
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Here are last year's entries. Erin Hills was the site and the actual course is the first image in the animation.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »
I like the diversity of a new routing.
I suggest a blank canvas - nothing identified - even clubhouse.
The sketch-up was nice, and I'd suggest any format.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
I like the diversity of a new routing.
I suggest a blank canvas - nothing identified - even clubhouse.
The sketch-up was nice, and I'd suggest any format.
Cheers

Mike, as a professional, are you eligible to participate?  ??? ;D

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Bill, last time Mike was one of our esteemed judges!

P.S. Sorry about the size of the graphic, I seem to have misplaced the larger one.

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »
Charlie,

I would love to participate! Also, I think the idea of keeping the site a secret so we could compare it to real life is a great one.

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
Charlie,

I'm in again. I liked last year's format just fine.

Jim

Andy Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:15:37 PM »
Charlie,

I'm definitely in again. I can't give up the opportunity to defend my title   ;)

I would suggest having the 18 holes set up again, using sketch up. I by no means was good at sketch up, I just routed a course and draped it on the ground. There was no way I could actually cut and fill etc. I think if people had more time and just concentrated on the routing instead of trying to actually dig bunkers, then we could have more participants.

I think the armed services course is a good idea. I have just been mucking around with maps of my local course and had lots of fun trying to get some better holes on the course. The advantage with this option is it would probably be a tight property, so plenty of thought would be needed to put a good routing together. Also, the contestants may need to decide how many current playing corridors/greens to use, in order to keep "costs" of construction down, if you get my drift.

That's just my opinion. I had great fun last year and would suggest anyone to have a go at this.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
 8) Charlie,

I'm in again, and truly appreciate the efforts that you subjected yourself to last SPRING and it looks like again in 2010!

Will probably do most work in my favorite blue leather armchair with paper and pencil and a JD on the rocks as standard companion, and move production to electronic files as last steps.  Your tutorials last year were very good, I just had too much happening to focus on learning/using Sketchup.  Maybe this year.

I think many gca folks look at open land and think about routing a course over it, what does it take to stalk out the opportunities?  But i think many more think of certain courses and they could have done it better or could revise an existing course.   jUST PROVIDE A TOPO, i don't care where its from.. but to keep judge bias out of the mix, I'd go for unused property topo..

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:07:08 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:40:03 AM »
Charlie,

Thanks for organising the contest this year. I printed out the topo and spent a bit of time looking at routings, but in the end I didnt have time to come up with an entry. However I hope to be able to manage to enter next time...

I use sketchup at work, so I have a reasonably good idea how to use it, but for me, its not great for the more organic shapes of a golf course. Therefore personally I'd prefer if it wasn't a requirement to be in sketchup, however I'm sure one hole as you suggest, would be okay. Also, while I love the idea of the eductaing people in the use of sketchup, I wonder if more people would enter if it wasn't a requirement?

I also prefer the idea of a blank canvas for the new routing. The only other suggestion I could come up with would be to have a go at being the "Open Doctor" and taking an old course and making adjustments enough to hold a Championship of some kind, be it an Open or a Walker Cup or whatever, though maybe there are too many factors to consider in such a contest and I suspect it wouldnt be easy getting topo maps for such quality of existing course???

Anyway, as long as I have the time, I hope to have a go in the next Armschair Architecture Contest. Thanks again!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Glad to see some interest. Just a bump to gather more suggestions.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »
Wow, it's been a while. I've finalized the topo map and now I need to get some some judges and go over the pre-launch info and get some suggestions.

So, we need:

Judges

Prizes/ideas for prizes (I have proven to be an unreliable provider of prizes as I'm still working on the ones from last year)

There will be some differences from last time. You'll have a more free-form canvas (you'll see it soon). We won't be tied exclusively to sketchup, but you will have to submit something digitally. I'll try to provide as much assistance as possible.

With that, Judges? Nomimations?

Emil Weber

Re: It's about time to consider THIS year's Armchair Architecture Contest
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »
Charlie,

I'd love to participate if it's still possible!

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
count me in too if its not too late

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
I'll give it a shot...keep me in the loop.

--Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »
Don't worry youse guys, we haven't even started yet. I'll keep you informed.

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
I think I'd like to give it a go.  I should warn already, my topo experience is limited to backpacking in the Appalachians and Rockies.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »
Charlie-

I'd love to give it another go, but to me Google sketch up was a mystery to me and it took forever (coupled with a busy work schedule many me a DNF).

Could we maybe do something along the lines of sending out a blank topo map on a .pdf, being able to print it out and draw on, then scan and send back for review?

Just a thought.

Pat
H.P.S.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
worry not Pat. Sketchup won't be a requirement this time around.

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:59:46 AM »

Cool...sign me up.

Can you design a course with 18 redan greens????:) :) ;D
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »

Cool...sign me up.

Can you design a course with 18 redan greens????:) :) ;D

No the Americans with Disabilities acts requires that you take left-handers into account and have 9 redans and 9 reverse redans.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »
I think I would like to give this a go this year as well.  It was enjoying seeing the entries last year.

Jay Cox

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »
Charlie, if you do decide to go the "route all 18 holes on paper, do 3-D renderings of a few holes" route, would you consider allowing people to submit 3-D renderings produced in a program other than sketchup?  I doubt I'll have the time to get up the sketchup learning curve, but I would love to participate if I could do the renderings in a program I already know. 

Mike Jansen

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
Please count me in as a contestant.

I was one who struggled with Sketchup on my computer, I would like to be able to submit something hand drawn.

The contests I've enjoyed in the past , and just like last year we were provided a topography map.  I also prefer to design 18 holes, but doing 9, 6 or 3 are just as well.

I have been disappointed with the Lido competition in past years, and it would awesome if this became that once a year thing that allows me to dust off the sketch pad and pencils.  Thanks again.  --- Mike

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »
Glad to see the interest. We'll probably kick things off this weekend.

FYI, we've got some volunteers for judges. Tommy Nacarratto, Tim Nugent, and Mike Nuzzo. We can always use more if there are any architects or experts out there who would like to do so.

Mike, you will be free to hand-draw if you wish, but you'll have to scan it in so that it can be emailed. Or I suppose that you can mail it to me and I can scan it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back