News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »
Scott,

You play a lot of golf with Chappers.  How does he get away with a 12 handicap?

By not playing much medal golf! I'll accept Giles' excuse that he gets nervous in stroke and can't play to his potential, but Chappers has shot even at Prince's, a 74 or 75 at RSG and at least two or three 76s or better at Deal in the past couple of years.

The man can play when he needs to!

He was off 3 as a 15-year-old and tells a story of regularly getting the train to Sandwich in his late teens to play all day on the course for £3! Not a bad arrangement!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:51:42 AM by Scott Warren »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »
Scott,

You have limited time left in the UK.  What courses are on your agenda for the rest of your stay?  What is it about them (or what you have heard about them) that makes you want to play them?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »
Scott,

You have limited time left in the UK.  What courses are on your agenda for the rest of your stay?  What is it about them (or what you have heard about them) that makes you want to play them?

These are the ones I will absolutely make sure I see before I go, and why.

Royal County Down and Royal Portrush I have heard far too much flowing praise about both, and I think seeing more "top 10" courses will help me get a bit more perpective with which to view the strengths and weaknesses of the comparitively large amount of Top 20-50 courses I have seen.

Royal Aberdeen According to posts I have seen from Noel Freeman and others, it bears strong comparison to Deal in style, terrain and quality.

Cruden Bay Looks quirky as hell and that par five with the diagonal creek and the 8th hole alone look like they are worth the trip to play.

Burnham & Berrow For reasons explained above.

Royal Dornoch and Brora The Aussie guys speak so highly of these two that I feel it is my duty to see them so I can join in the conga-line of praise!

Silloth For some reason I am really intrigued by this one. That short par three hitting towards the water looks like a great hole. I am going to a friend's wedding in the Lake District next year, so it should be doable - a long trek for one course otherwise.

Sunningdale They call it the best day in golf and the best two course club in the world, don't they? having played and loved some other heathland gems, I want to see the Mac Daddy.

Abercromby's courses I may not get to Bovey Castle, but will make sure I see Worplesdon, Mill Hill, Knole Park and Coombe Hill to add to The Addington. There was a well-planned raid for most of them organised for this month, but the weather and work got in the way.

Swinley Forest So many stories and folkore, plus Colt's own opinion of his work there.

Littlestone and Hayling Just so I will have played all the links in the south east.

Woodhall Spa Supposedly the best inland course in GB&I, and all bar Tony M that I have asked have raved about it.

There is a list of courses as long as my arm that I really want to see either for the first time (Muirfield, Alwoodley, Ganton, Saunton) or again (TOC, North Berwick, St Enodoc), but the ones above are the crucial ones, in my eyes (as of this moment, the list does change a bit from time to time!) that I am confident I can get to in the time I have left.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:14:57 AM by Scott Warren »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
Scott,

Let me know when you're going to be at Silloth.  I'll see if I can get across for a game.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Cool, will do.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Hey Scott,

1.  What are the big differences you've noticed in golf culture between Australia and England?

2.  Are there any great architectural lessons you feel like you've learned just by playing in England?

3.  Tell the truth - didn't you join Deal just because the cooling towers at Ramsgate reminded you of the "three sisters" in the Blue Mountains?

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
Hey Scott,

1.  What are the big differences you've noticed in golf culture between Australia and England?

I'll second this question, and add, have you noticed a different with respect to architecture? Maintenance?

If you make it to Pennsylvania when you hit the States, I will be most offended if you do not contact me. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »
Hey Scott,

Australia is, by and large, infected by the long rounds that are suffocating the world of golf elsewhere. I won't call it "American golf" because I think that would be short-sighted. While most of the courses I am playing in the UK seem to be run by clubs who view the 3-hour round as something worthy of fighting a war over, I gather from chatting to colleagues and other golfers, that many UK clubs are just as infected by 5hr rounds as those overseas.

But the true culture of UK golf lives on at the RSGs, Deals, Ryes etc - and that is something truly worthy of defending and insisting upon. Forget a stipulated time, just play swiftly, save the chin-wagging for the clubhouse and move with purpose around the course, then go inside and spend the two hours you would have spent working out who was furthest from the hole on two 40ft putts 18 times a round, or walking to you mate's ball en route to yours, sitting in the house with a drink in hand and a smile on your dial.

Too many guys back home go from the carpark to the first tee with maybe a 3min session on the practice green, then from the 18th green to the car and home. The club gets ignored, and that is what makes a club/course worth belonging to. The best club in Australia that I ever called "home" was custodian to the worst course, but that clubhouse was a home away from home for me and the enjoyment flowed through every aspect of my involvement with the course and club, and most importantly, the other members.

2.  Are there any great architectural lessons you feel like you've learned just by playing in England?

Respect and use the land God gave you.

I don't believe Rye, The Addington, Deal or North Berwick would be built were the land offered to even the most "naturalist" architect today. Would they be brave enough to build the likes of 3, 6, 15, 16 and 17 at Deal? 4, 5, 6, 7, 13 and 16 at Rye? 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16 or 17 at The Add? 1, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 at North Berwick? Not that some of those holes are bulletproof, but they are examples of ballsy artistic creation with scant regard (at least IMO) for what would be said in response.

It reminds me of how I feel when I look at The Statue of David, or at any one of a dozen of Claude Monet's paintings. They are so beautiful not just in how well-executed they are visually and technically, but in how completely absent of any caution or self consciousness they are. Why? Because the man who brough it to life it knew what he was creating was unique, and without any way of ever being compared, it would stand on its own, judged simply for what it is. That's why I think these historic courses are so timeless, while those contrived by the hand of man are often so easily comparible with one another.

3.  Tell the truth - didn't you join Deal just because the cooling towers at Ramsgate reminded you of the "three sisters" in the Blue Mountains?

I do quite like those cooling towers. Perhaps more than The Three Sisters back home. The not so well-kept secret is that no one who is actually from the Blue Mountains actually thinks The Three Sisters are that impressive. Give me Govetts Leap at Blackheath and Wentworth Falls and its awesome, steep bushwalks any day.

When you come for the Boomerang, I'll take you for a drive and you'll see what I mean!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:52:24 PM by Scott Warren »

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 06:59:42 PM »

If you make it to Pennsylvania when you hit the States, I will be most offended if you do not contact me. :)

Philly is on the current itinerary for a two-night stay, and I hope I can drink some beers with you, my favourite foursomes partner Mayday (I have to take Craig Disher in the fourball, sorry Mayday, he won us the game, you see...), Kyle Harris and whichever other GCAers call that neck of the woods home.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
2.  Are there any great architectural lessons you feel like you've learned just by playing in England?

I don't believe Rye, The Addington, Deal or North Berwick would be built were the land offered to even the most "naturalist" architect today. Would they be brave enough to build the likes of 3, 6, 15, 16 and 17 at Deal? 4, 5, 6, 7, 13 and 16 at Rye? 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16 or 17 at The Add? 1, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 at North Berwick? Not that some of those holes are bulletproof, but they are examples of ballsy artistic creation with scant regard (at least IMO) for what would be said in response.

It reminds me of how I feel when I look at The Statue of David, or at any one of a dozen of Claude Monet's paintings. They are so beautiful not just in how beautiful and well-executed they are, but in how completely absent of any caution or self consciousness they are. Why? Because the man who built it knew what he was creating was unique, and without any way of ever being compared, it would stand on its own, judged simply for what it is. That's why I think these historic courses are so timeless, while those contrived by the hand of man are often so easily comparible with one another.

[/quote]

Am I ever glad I asked that question.  Great answer.

I'll be glad to do some sightseeing with you, but not sure I want to ride in that cable car with the glass bottom!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:59:06 AM by John Mayhugh »

Mark_F

Re: Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren New
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 05:05:23 AM »

Scott,
1) What are the major architectural differences between the Heathlands and the Sandbelt?

2) Is there anything the Heathlands courses do that the Sandbelt courses should, and vice versa?

3) Do you believe Rupert Murdoch is primarily responsible for the contempt the public generally feel towards journalists theses days?

4) Which course do you think is better, and why - Royal Melbourne West,  or  St Andrews Beach?

5) What is the major difference in strategy between NSW golf club and Newcastle golf club?

6) What is your second favourite par three on the Sandbelt, and why is it a lesser  hole than your favourite?

7) Do you believe Woodlands is better routed than Kingston Heath?

8) Which Sandbelt course is the least architecturally interesting and why  - Victoria or Huntingdale?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:58:03 AM by Mark Ferguson »

Brian Phillips

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 06:13:22 AM »
Mark,

I presume you know Scott pretty well then... ???

Or are you always that direct?

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 06:21:49 AM »
He's never met me, Brian.

1) What are the major architectural differences between the Heathlands and the Sandbelt?
2) Is there anything the Heathlands courses do that the Sandbelt courses should, and vice versa?
4) Which course do you think is better, and why - Royal Melbourne West,  or  St Andrews Beach?
7) What is your second favourite par three on the Sandbelt, and why is it a lesser  hole than your favourite?
8 )  In which order would you place the following short fours and why - Barnbougle Dunes 4, St Andrews Beach 2, Commonwealth 17?
10) Do you believe Woodlands is better routed than Kingston Heath?
11) Which Sandbelt course is the least architecturally interesting and why  - Victoria or Huntingdale?

All very good questions. I promise to reply when I have played the courses involved. Can't say it's immediately obvious to me why you asked me about courses you know I haven't played, but there you go.

3) Do you believe Rupert Murdoch is primarily responsible for the contempt the public generally feel towards journalists theses days?

If he is it's only because he's the biggest fish in the pond. There are plenty worse than him in media companies, and in other sectors. The general hatred of journalists doesn't bother me. In fact, I find it amusing more often than not.

5) What is the major difference in strategy between NSW golf club and Newcastle golf club?

I have only played Newcastle once, but it felt to me like the drive was at more of a premium, where I see NSW as largely a second shot course, with the wind causing those second shots to be played from a huge range of distances from day to day.

6) Working at the Daily Mail, which is the more important question to ask Tiger Woods - A) How much can you bench press, B) Do you understand the jive talk in Flying High, or C) What is your favourite sexual position when you are alone?

D) None of the above.

9) If The Australian GC was located in Melbourne, would Metropolitan GC still be as full of wankers as it is now?

If it was still located in Victoria I would suggest the answer is probably yes. ;)

12) Did you say the burger dog looked delicious because A) You like to kiss American Butt, B) You have a fondness for glowing yellow cheese made from recycled chip fat, or C) The glowing yellow cheese was the exact same colour cardigan your favorite GC architect wears?

I said it looked delicious because it looked delicious.

13) You are at Barnbougle Dunes in March 2011 and for your fourball it is myself, Shane, Chris and you.  Do we talk about A) Michelangelo's use of subtext at the Sistine Chapel, B) Woodward and Bernstein's choice of source names, C) TWP's use of bunkering for aesthetic purposes, or D) How many NRL players does it take to lift a packet of toothpicks and how can we reduce that number?

E) Boobs and cricket.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:43:23 AM by Scott Warren »

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 06:37:23 AM »
Apologies for overlooking these before, Anthony.

Have you finalized your US plans?

I think so. I'm still trying to work on getting more time, but if the current 24 days we've planned is all we can have, then I think the current itinerary is very close to what we will do.

What surprised you the most about The BUDDA?

The immediacy of the bond between guys who'd not met before.

Have you played TOC?

The Old Course, yes. The Ocean Course, no.

Have you ever eaten possum?

Not that I am aware of, but I've had my fair share of 3am dodgy kebabs and meat pies, so it's certainly possible.

I went to the beach with two girls one time in a two seater sports car. One was from Australia. Javilin thrower and high hurdler in college. Blonde and and tall drink of water. Perfect. She would put australian pennies in vending machines. The machines thought they were US dimes. She was hot,so is that OK?

Australia got rid of pennies in 1967, so you must have aged well!

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 06:52:49 AM »

It reminds me of how I feel when I look at The Statue of David, or at any one of a dozen of Claude Monet's paintings. They are so beautiful not just in how well-executed they are visually and technically, but in how completely absent of any caution or self consciousness they are. Why? Because the man who brough it to life it knew what he was creating was unique, and without any way of ever being compared, it would stand on its own, judged simply for what it is. That's why I think these historic courses are so timeless, while those contrived by the hand of man are often so easily comparible with one another.

Scott

This is a great answer.  Do you think the golfing public would embrace such follies in this day and age or would the archies responsible get the shank?  I ask because both Tobacco Road and Lederach seem to be polarizing courses and yet they don't strike me as having gone anywhere near the wild side as some of your examples.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian Phillips

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »
Scott,

Have you read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell?
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »

You're being rather fallacious describing yourself as a journalist when you work on the Daily Mail, aren't you? 

That's akin to me describing myself as an Orthopaedic Surgeon because I helped put a bandaid on someone's finger at work last week.

Unfortunately the thread includes a bit of "get to know Mark Ferguson" as well. This kind of comment seems way out of bounds to me. 

Chris Kane

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
Or are you always that direct?

Brian, as a GCA participant of many years standing, surely you're aware that one of Mark's finer virtues is that you always know where he stands!

Mark_F

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:59:05 AM by Mark Ferguson »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »

Mark,

Are you numb? What page is she on? Three or two?

Anthony

Mark Pearce

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 03:55:43 AM »
Mark,

If you're going to rant, rant with authority.  The British tabloids may be a disgrace, one thing is for sure, though, the Telegraph is not a tabloid.  Also, the Mail is, IMHO, fairly objectionable for it's right wing bias but you do appear to be confusing it with the Sun, or even the Star.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 04:19:55 AM »
Scott

What is your (honest) opinion of Londoners and London living?

Congrats on your engagement by the way. 

See you at Woking.

Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Leo Barber

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 05:01:53 AM »

[/quote]

One thing I have realised through my own experience is that for most golfers, myself included, I don't think the greater enjoyment that width and options bring to the game can be explained, it has to be experienced.

[/quote]

Scott

That is a great quote. 

Mark_F

Re: Starting Mon, 11/30 - Get To Know Scott Warren New
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 06:05:36 AM »
Mark,
Are you numb? What page is she on? Three or two?
Anthony

Sorry Anthony, that has passed me by completely.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:59:40 AM by Mark Ferguson »

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 06:12:28 AM »

Scott

This is a great answer.  Do you think the golfing public would embrace such follies in this day and age or would the archies responsible get the shank?  I ask because both Tobacco Road and Lederach seem to be polarizing courses and yet they don't strike me as having gone anywhere near the wild side as some of your examples.

Ciao   

I've been thinking about this a lot since you asked. I think you'd need the right architect and the right developer, along with the right piece of land. So it's unlikely those three elements are going to come together any time soon, but I do think golfers would embrace it, perhaps even moreso those who haven't played the likes of the courses named above and are having an entirely new experience.

Tobacco Road is one I really want to see. Looking at pics of his courses and reading the interview Ran did with him, Mike Strantz seems like he really had the right ideas about designing golf courses, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:26:01 AM by Scott Warren »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back