News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Road Hole Tee - New Photos
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »
Hot off the presses!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:35:43 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Brian Phillips

Re: Road Hole Tee - New Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:45:33 AM »
Ahem....nice shaping.  At least there is room all the way back to the driving range building if the R&A don't do something with the ball... ;D
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
Just a smooth 4 iron for Tiger... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:02:05 AM »
Aw come on beat me to it!

I helped lay the final sod yesterday and thought I had the first photos of the new tee.  Oh well :)

So, what does everyone think? (Besides the ball is killing the game;" travesty"; etc.  Those are givens)
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »
can the TOC experts tell me - it seems the line is just left of the high-point on the roof? At least for a hooker of the ball?

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:24:02 AM »
Scott,

The line is actually the same as before--right about above the word 'Old,' though this may encourage a less than aggressive play to the left.  The fairway and short rough have been widened, but not nearly enough in mine or Mr. Hawtree's opinion. The left rough is going to be scarified heavily to try and thin it out, and it might undergo total remediation in future years.

Some are even suggesting that with a two shot lead on Sunday, you could actually see players drive down the 2nd fairway and pitch back over.

I will post pics when I get home later; the internet where I am won't allow me to upload anything.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
Sorry for getting the jump on you Brett.  I have local sources ;)  Please post your pics.  I'm sure they are better than these camera phone ones.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:54:22 AM »
It looks like it's now a double road hole.
H.P.S.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
I guess they are going to have to dogleg the OOB line around the back of this tee, which will eliminate the out-of-bounds hazard to the right of Green 16.  I think that is regrettable.

Alister Matheson

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
Interesting pics Robin does anyone know how many yards have been added ?

The photos might be quite decieving but the actual area where you could set markers up looks very small is there enough space for 4 or 5 shifts ? It does not look like it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:46:31 AM by Ally Matheson »
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:06 AM »
Is this a classic case of the R & A not admitting they are having a ball probem and trying to make two wrongs a right !!! I just wonder if theres room to put a mat in just beyond the current 1st tee to get another 20 yards, 18 could be extended to 475 yards by a new tee abutting that litte corner by the Old Course hotel, why not try some landfill out into the eden, extending the 7th to 725 yards, 8th would be 450 yards, that way we could play the old lady at 8100 yards and get golf back to 7 hours.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »
Scott,

The line is actually the same as before--right about above the word 'Old,'

Bollox , its was always the "O" in course , not in Old .

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »
Are they going to put a stile in or will Tiger and co have to hop over the fence? ::)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »

Just who wanted that?

Where are we – China?

What does the R&A stand for?   Certainly not for golf but appears to be following the Royal Bank of Scotland  - bankrupt in mind and body.

Picasso did not die in 1973, he is alive and well and starting a design practice – first commission, The Road Hole (RIP)

Like the Labour Government, the R&A are overseeing the slow destruction of our National Institutions, How did these people get their jobs in the first place.

Leave well alone after all its not your F*’#%!? Course it’s ours, the Nations.

Feel better for that and not one club thrown either, see one can control oneself, its not that hard and I’m no Professional.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »
So now there are three tees outside the boundary of the course.....

#2 on the Himalayas putting green, #14 on the Eden course, #17 on the practice ground across the road.

This is a joke and a perversion and everybody at the R&A should be hanging their heads in shame.   >:(

But instead they'll be looking for ways to add more new tees!

Brian Phillips

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
I have just measured on Google Earth and it is now only 340 metres to clear the Old Course Hotel wall from the tee if you play to the right side of the hotel.  How long before someone tries that in the wind at an Open...? Probably not this time but maybe in 6 years time?   ;D
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
I have been told that if there is any significant wind then the tee will not be used.  As as of now, the will only be used for The Open and not the Dunhill.  We are talking about something being used maybe only 2-3 for every 5 years. 

Only the front part will be used, adding about 30-35 yards; the rest in back is for elasticity, tv crew, Rolex clock, etc.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
I guess they are going to have to dogleg the OOB line around the back of this tee, which will eliminate the out-of-bounds hazard to the right of Green 16.  I think that is regrettable.

Robin with tee's on the Eden and The Himalayas aren't they already palying shots from OOB?  Why would they have to run it round the back of the tee?  I'm just curious is that the convention?
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Schofield

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
Ally, I wondered the same thing.  If they sodded over the road it would be more of a proper tee...

Bill, I want to understand, would the two other tees be a "joke and perversion" on their own or does this tee push it over the cap? :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

Bill, I want to understand, would the two other tees be a "joke and perversion" on their own or does this tee push it over the cap? :)

I think it's all bad.  The Old Course should be respected; it may finally be justification for a competition ball.  Those new tees are used just every five years!

At the 2005 Open I spent a couple of hours in the bleachers by the 14th green, and another standing OB opposite the Hell Bunker, hoping to see someone run into a patch of bother with negotiating Hell.  No one did.  That was with the new tee in play.  I guess the R&A could pay to have Hell moved.   :-X
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:25:18 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »
Robin,

How many different courses are now used when they play The Open on the Old Course?

Alister Matheson

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »
The way things are going by 2020 they will be using the driving range bays ! Sort it out for the sake of our game! Its simple as most on here say limit the golf ball .

Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »

#2 on the Himalayas putting green, #14 on the Eden course, #17 on the practice ground across the road.

This is a joke and a perversion and everybody at the R&A should be hanging their heads in shame.   >:(

Mike, Unka Bill,
+ the 9th tee on the New, that makes 4?...FFS.
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »

Mike, Unka Bill,
+ the 9th tee on the New, that makes 4?...FFS.
cheers,
FBD.

Gadzooks, I didn't know about that one!  Hopefully it doesn't interfere with #8, my favorite hole on la New!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »
Take a look at the aerial and see how LITTLE it is affected..... :'(

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/new_guide2004/new_course_hole_guide_8.html

best,
neffers Mart.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back