News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: One-club Tournament?
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
Oh, to be Jimmy Demaret for a week - I'd make enough to retire.
Peter

Rob Rigg

« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
I putted the final six holes of Trails with a metal 3 wood - it was actually quite reliable - obv longer than a putter but gave the ball a nice roll.

I don't think a 5 wood would be out of line for this type of competition - especially if you could "putt" out of bunkers.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2010, 12:55:46 AM »
Inspired by this thread, fellow GCA'er Matt Schmidt and I played a one-club match this afternoon to try and test the one-club vs one-club-plus-putter theory.

We used, respectively, a six iron and a seven iron and didn't miss the putter one bit.  The worst results over the nine-hole match were a few three-putts from the 30+ foot range which, on these greens, could have easily happened with a regular putter.  And we did this on a Doak course with pretty severe greens.

Less comfortable than putting were, in my view, the half-shots into some of the greens.  I would note that we were following local custom with the player holding honors choosing the teeing ground (which sometimes did not mean a proper tee box), and thus appropriately choosing distances that put the other person at a disadvantage.  But that said, I still found a 40-yard flop far more frightening than a 20 foot putt.

In any case, one-club on a firm and fast course is a blast and I should think that such an event at OM or any of the Bandon courses would be well received.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back