News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

2013 "British" Amateur Championship
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
Royal Cinque Ports & Princes have been chosen to host the 2013 Amateur. The strokeplay will be held over both courses and the match play over the Deal links. Ironically Deal last held the 1982 Amateur, The Country Club in Boston last held the 1982 US Amateur and hold the event again in ..... 2013!
Cave Nil Vino

Greg Ohlendorf

Re: 2013 "British" Amateur Championship
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »
Mark,

Congratulations to RCP!

Greg

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
Chappers, one of the really top players at my club (Pensacola CC) came over a couple of years ago (?) and played in the British Seniors at Deal.    Apparently the weather was most foul but he still loved the course and had a wonderful time.

I wonder if the R&A asked for the new tees up on the seawall to "make the course more relevant to today's players......" etc etc?

Cheers,
Bill

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »

The Prize "The Amateur Championship Cup"

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:01:15 PM »
That is one heckuva trophy.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
That's great news Mark

2013 seems to be a pretty big year for "nostalgic" tournament venues.....

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »
Mark
Why the shift away from RstG and Deal like 1997 (?)

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »
Brian, I would suggest RSG would take a pretty dim view of being the "second" course for an event held at Deal.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:59:30 AM »
Wow, and Royal Colwood, a sister club with RCP, is hosting the Canadian Amateur in 2013 to mark its centenary.  Life is good!
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »
Mark

Congratulations to all at Royal Cinque Ports.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 04:23:20 AM »
Bill the sea wall tees were on the architects plan. By 2013 the 3rd should be 570 and the 603 yard 5th tee may be a reality. However even an 8000yd links course with receptive greens and benign weather will be eaten alive unless you pull a Carnastie!

New GCA member Gordon Irvine must take some of the credit for this news. In the last 5 years the greens have been transformed and are now returning to fine fescues, requiring less water and virtually nil chemicals. We are way ahead in the sustainability stakes.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:46:11 AM »
Great news Mark, well done. The club deserves this recognition for the vision it has shown and hard work put in to realise it.

Giles Payne

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 06:29:17 AM »
Fantastic news - Congratulations!!!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 06:48:28 AM »
That is one heckuva trophy.

When you see this next to the Claret Jug in the Royal and Ancient clubhouse, you realise just how much golf was an amateur sport... It's huge! How have we managed to let these professionals take over?

Congrats to Deal...

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 09:44:30 AM »
Great news Mark. An excellent (and somewhat obvious) choice. Is there a rota for the Am? Does this cement Deal's place on it?

Keep us posted about course changes. I'm both curious and anxious about what might be done.

Bob

Jamie Barber

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »
Did you watch any of the 2006 tournament Mark? That was strokeplay at RSG and Prince's, match play at RSG.

I watched some of the stroke play at Prince's, the handicap limit was +2 and there were scores in the 90s!! That was one of the wetter summers so the rough was up. The eventual winner as a French guy who turned pro but alas hasn't done much since.

I think early signs are encouraging that Prince's will be in better shape that of late; Troongolf are already making some +ve changes

Richard Pennell

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »
Did you watch any of the 2006 tournament Mark? That was strokeplay at RSG and Prince's, match play at RSG.I watched some of the stroke play at Prince's, the handicap limit was +2 and there were scores in the 90s!! That was one of the wetter summers so the rough was up. The eventual winner as a French guy who turned pro but alas hasn't done much since.I think early signs are encouraging that Prince's will be in better shape that of late; Troongolf are already making some +ve changes
Hi Jamie

I watched the final day of that championship, together with Tony Muldoon (who lost his car keys) and Brent Hutto (who bought me the best Sandwich I've ever had, rather appropriately). The French guy whose name I can't remember played pretty well, but the other finalist (whose name I also can't remember!) played some lovely stuff but didn't hole a putt.

Really looking forward to seeing them tackle Deal, I hope they get a decent wind to play with...
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Jamie Barber

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »
Indeed, I don't remember 2006 being a particularly windy week, but Prince's at least was very bouncy (I watched quite a few play to the par 3 3rd, pitching the ball into the green only to watch it bounce out the back).

I didn't see any of the matches at RSG but did see the victor leave by helicopter on saturday. I know they halved the 14th with eagle's in one round. RSG have since moved the green back 40 yds :)

Dan Moore

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
Great News.  Congratulations. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
Did you watch any of the 2006 tournament Mark? That was strokeplay at RSG and Prince's, match play at RSG.

I watched some of the stroke play at Prince's, the handicap limit was +2 and there were scores in the 90s!! That was one of the wetter summers so the rough was up. The eventual winner as a French guy who turned pro but alas hasn't done much since.

I think early signs are encouraging that Prince's will be in better shape that of late; Troongolf are already making some +ve changes

From the R&A website:
"Prince’s hosted the Amateur Championship with Royal St Georges in 2006, when Frenchman Julien Guerrier beat England’s Adam Gee to win the title."

Not heard of either of them since.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
From the R&A website:
"Prince’s hosted the Amateur Championship with Royal St Georges in 2006, when Frenchman Julien Guerrier beat England’s Adam Gee to win the title."

Not heard of either of them since.

Day 1 , European Tour Qualifying .......

TOUR COURSE
Par 70 (6577yd)
60 Julien Guerrier (Fra).
64 Keith Horne (SAf), James Ruth (Eng), Tony Carolan (Aus), Lasse Jensen (Den).
65 Colm Moriarty (Ire), Miles Tunnicliffe (Eng), Clodomiro Carranza (Arg), Lee Slattery (Eng), Martin Wiegele (Aut).
66 Fredrik Andersson Hed (Swe), Roope Kaakko (Fin), Stuart Manley (Wal), Nicolas Meitinger (Ger), Edouard Dubois (Fra), Klas Eriksson (Swe), Andrea Maestroni (Ita).
67 Jonathan Caldwell (NIr), Darren Fichardt (SAf), Jean-Baptiste Gonnet (Fra), Wes Hefferman (Can), Pedro Linhart (Spa), Andrew Marshall (Eng), Thorbjorn Olesen (Den), Iain Pyman (Eng), Anthony Snobeck (Fra), Simon Thornton (Ire).

Leo Barber

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »
Congratulations to Ian Barnard, the consultancy of Gordon Invine and all the team down at RCP.  Is this another step to possibly continuing their advancement towards returning to the rota??  Did Hoylake and carnoustie follow this pattern prior to their return? 

G Jones

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
Does anyone have any photos yet of those new sea wall tees?

David Stamm

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »

The Prize "The Amateur Championship Cup"

My favorite in golf.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
Does anyone have any photos yet of those new sea wall tees?

Gordon Irvine posted one recently of the 7th tee.

I know a few were taken by GCAers during Buda as well, so perhaps someone might see this and kindly post them?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back