News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Webb

Resort Facility 'Planned' for SW Polk County, FL
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
I'll keep what I know to myself for the time being but really hope this project moves forward for the sake of the industry and potential economic benefits for the area.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20091116/NEWS/911165049/1410?Title=Mosaic-Plans-Resort-Facility-in-Polk-County

John_Conley

Re: Resort Facility 'Planned' for SW Polk County, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Location, location, location.  Florida's results are struggling.  The developers mention the need to do this now in order to be poised for a recovery, but I wonder if being near Fort Meade is a fatal flaw here. 

Maybe the ecotourism will be the draw that makes this work.  I don't even know what ecotourism is, so I'll refrain from speculating.

When you know who is designing the two links style courses let us know.  Smyers and Garl both do excellent work and are based in the county I think.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:13:39 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
Have the Grenelefe courses been plowed under or redeveloped?  I played out there once during a business meeting in the '80s and thought the course I played was pretty good.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
Is this an appropriate definition of links style?

"The links-style features designs similar to many golf courses in Scotland, the birthplace of the sport, where only the fairways and greens have man-made and maintained landscapes. The rest of the course is left in its natural state."

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
Have the Grenelefe courses been plowed under or redeveloped?  I played out there once during a business meeting in the '80s and thought the course I played was pretty good.

Bill, I went there about four years ago.  West, the long one, had grown over.  South, my favorite, was open.  I think East was open too.  Not sure what is there now.

Funny to think that members of Grenelefe put up money to open Diamondback across the street in the early-mid 90s because there was need for another course.

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »
Here's a good article on what the developers wanted to do with the resort.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-02-05/business/grenelefe05_1_grenelefe-golf-tennis-resort-polk-county

Although being from the area I have serious doubts these 'plans' will ever come to fruition.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
This reads like it is really meant to happen 5 to 7 years from now when they saw this window was closing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back