News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Baer

Boca Grande, FL
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »
I am heading back down to Boca Grande for my annual week before Thanksgiving trip with the in-laws.  This year I have the wifes permission to play some golf so I am trying to figure out where to tee it up.

I have done all I can to get on Gasparilla but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I pulled out all the stops, one of the Asst. pros works at Crystal Downs in the summer and I told him I was best friends with Tom Doak, and that didn't even work.  (Just Kidding)  Being that the course is "semi-private" I thought I would be able to make it happen but they insist you stay at the Inn which I am not.

Privates are pretty much out of the question being that the only time I can play is early on Saturday morning, I will be by myself.  An hour drive is probably the most I could swing and even that is pushing it.

Any suggestions?

Kenny Baer

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Boca Grande, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
Venice doesn't look too far away. Try Venetian Golf & River Club. I played there a few years ago and enjoyed the experience:

www.venetiangolfandriverclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
Try Coral Creek Club. A private Fazio, I think in this environment they are open to public play. Its about a half-mile inland from the causeway to Boca Grande. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:49 AM »
My sister winters at Boca Grande and plays at Lemon Bay, just north of the island http://lemonbaygolfclub.com/.  It's relatively short but has good greens and is fun to play.  Lots of wildlife to enjoy while you are walking.  Worth a game.

The course at Gasparilla is goofy golf but fun (there is (or used to be--course has been renovated recently) a hole where you had the option of driving the green by bombing it over one of the patios of the hotel).  Try to sneak into the hotel and befriend somebody and maybe you'll get a game.  Think "The Wedding Crashers" or even Golfclubaccess.com.... ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:46 AM »
My sister winters at Boca Grande and plays at Lemon Bay, just north of the island http://lemonbaygolfclub.com/.  It's relatively short but has good greens and is fun to play.  Lots of wildlife to enjoy while you are walking.  Worth a game.

The course at Gasparilla is goofy golf but fun (there is (or used to be--course has been renovated recently) a hole where you had the option of driving the green by bombing it over one of the patios of the hotel).  Try to sneak into the hotel and befriend somebody and maybe you'll get a game.  Think "The Wedding Crashers" or even Golfclubaccess.com.... ;)

The Lemon Bay marketing or web design person has a nice sense of humor - here's the photo by "Food Service":

Not a good day to be a turtle!

Peter Pratt

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I'd second the Venetian. It's worth the hour drive. Stay away from Long Marsh and the other courses in that complex--dull.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »
Thanks for all the tips; what is the Venetian like?  Worth an 1hr drive?  I would consider that very good.

What do any of you know about Concession?  I am going to have my pro call, is that dumb?

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
Look, KennyB, on this getting on Gasparilla, just skip the damn first hole and go tee it up on the second and play the damn course. If anybody questions you, just tell them you know me and I sent you. If that doesn't work then absolutely nothing will, and I'll be forced to sick my little diarrheic dog on that course and club and believe me nobody but nobody wants that.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Kenny,

Re Venetian: I  played this Chip Powell design in January 2004. He did mostly FL work.He's no longer doing golf courses due to the economy. Ron Whitten was impressed with Venetian.Unfortunately,his review is no longer online. I was too as one doesn't find architectural features such as a Biarritz green, a Punchbowl green, etc in a typical FL housing development course. This course is really a "tribute" course to the classics. If  I can find my yardage book, I'll say more.

The website link to the course tour doesn't seem to be working.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:00:22 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:10 AM »
Kenny,

I'd recommend Venetian too.  Well worth the drive.  Here's a thread from earlier in the year with some pictures.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38821.0/

And, from the thread a link to a site with descriptions of each hole.

http://www.wcitours.com/wci_golf/venetian/index.html

The Biarritz hole, #11, is really good.

Sad to hear that Powell is not in ther business anymore.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back