News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Anyone have a spare copy of my MacKenzie biography?
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:07 PM »
I heard today from a friend who really wants to give a copy of The Life and Work of Dr. Alister MacKenzie to a friend of his.  But, he can't find a copy of the book anywhere for a reasonable price; and I have only one copy myself.

Does anyone have a spare copy they might be willing to part with?  I am willing to trade a limited-edition copy of The Confidential Guide, or perhaps something else from my vault.  Please contact by email if you are interested, to doakgolf@aol.com

Thanks!

JC Jones

Re: Anyone have a spare copy of my MacKenzie biography?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
Tom,

I dont have a copy of the book but I remember you raising a question a while back about how you might be able to get it back in print given your being a co-author.  I may have some answers for you in that regard if you are interested.  Send me a PM if you are.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
I bought a copy in 2005 and sent it to Nick Leefe to thank him for hosting my wife and me at Alwoodley when we were en route to St Andrews for the Open.

Little did I know it would become virtually impossible to buy another copy after that!  I didn't even skim the copy I sent on to Nick!

Has the publisher considered another run?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »
Bill:

As mentioned above, the book went out of print just as Sleeping Bear Press sold all of its titles to Wiley.  So Wiley has never even had a copy of the book, and has no interest in another printing.  (Which is just as well, since one of these days Neil Crafter will come out with a better book.)

Everyone:

I've had about four offers on the book already via email.  Will probably take up two or three of them, so I have a spare next time this situation comes up.  Thanks to everyone for the response.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »
Tom
Hope you have found a copy. I have seen a couple on Abebooks but they are at the $350-400 range.

Not sure if I will come up with a better book! But it will be different. I will certainly not be attempting anything in the way of a biography, but rather I would like to do a book that concentrates solely on his work from a historical perspective, examining all the courses and clubs that he worked on or consulted to, even including those projects that he was linked to as an architect that never got off the ground or those clubs he advised that never implemented his advice. Still early days and gathering material all the time. recently Niall Carlton turned up three projects in Scotland that Mackenzie was involved in by researching old Glasgow newspapers. I think there is still a bit to be discovered about the Dr's activities!

cheers Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back