News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

US Open Superintendent moving on
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
Here is an article written by our own, Brad Klein about Craig Currier, formally of Bethpage.

"Bethpage State Park’s Black Course, site of this year's U.S. Open, is getting a new 15th green. It also will get a new head superintendent.

The historic A.W. Tillinghast-designed daily-fee layout in Farmingdale, N.Y., opened in 1935 and rated No. 18 on the Golfweek’s Best Classic list, went under the knife (actually, a bulldozer blade) on Nov. 17. The plan is to reduce the slope of the notoriously elusive, steeply pitched green on the uphill, 478-yard, par-4 15th hole. It also was the site of the 2002 U.S. Open.

Craig Currier, Bethpage State Park’s director of maintenance with authority over the park’s five courses, will be leaving after 12 years. Currier will move to a private golf club on Long Island, Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury. No successor at Bethpage has been named.

The 15th green has so much back-to-front slope that it offers only two usable hole locations. It receives special treatment during U.S. Open play, with rolling and reduced mowing so that it doesn’t become unplayable.

Architect Rees Jones, who oversaw extensive renovations of Bethpage Black before both U.S. Opens, also is in charge of the latest project. Plans call for rebuilding the green, with the back lowered slightly and the front raised just enough to create more level areas for hole locations. Construction is being done by McDonald & Sons, with the work expected to take two weeks and with grow-in not to be completed until spring. The course is closed and will reopen in April.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JC Jones

Re: US Open Superintendent moving on
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »
of course if they slowed down the greens they would have more pin locations....

I thought i saw some video montage of him this summer during the open talking about how he wasnt going to leave Bethpage; I guess money talks!! ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
I guess money talks!! ;D

..so does stress.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Robert Emmons

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Money does talk...Glen Oaks will give him plenty of stress fo it...RHE

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »
of course if they slowed down the greens they would have more pin locations....

Exactly. God forbid an economical approach is used.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »
Guys:

Before those who prove their ignorance begin to bark about what's wrong -- the issue is that the 15th green does need the work being carried out. The pitch of the green was way too severe given the modern day penchant for cutting greens to get a speed of 12+ on the Stimp.

The hole is tough enough without resorting to putt-putt dynamics which has happened on a number of instances to competitiors over the years and not just during the two US Opens ('02 & '09). Here's a situation in which a demanding hole (4.6 score average for the '02 Open and slightly lower than that in the '09 event) can be made even into a greater and fairer hole.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
Guys:

Before those who prove their ignorance begin to bark about what's wrong -- the issue is that the 15th green does need the work being carried out. The pitch of the green was way too severe given the modern day penchant for cutting greens to get a speed of 12+ on the Stimp.

Matt,

You actually came after those of us who were proving our ignorance and barking about what was wrong.  Then, of course, you proved that the ignorant weren't ignorant by reinforcing what we said.  That is the green speed is too fast for the architecture of the green.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ian Larson

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:16:09 PM »
I thought this was about Craig not the architecture of the course

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:21:43 PM »
The Wall St Journal's golf page today had a side bar note that he's moving to "an undermined private club on Long Island.'  Is it Glen Oaks for sure?  Where is Glen Oaks, who designed it?  It's not on lists I've seen.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:12:55 AM »
Craig has taken the Super position at Glen Oaks.   The club has 27 holes designed by Finger and years ago was considered among the best courses on LI.  With an appreciation for classic architecture it has lost some of its luster, and a previous board hired Kay to upgrade the course, but the generic work left the membership wanting better.   There are quite a few members of Atlantic, Bridge, East Hampton, Sebonic, and Friars Head.   Craig has been given an opportunity to elevate the layout to top notch quality and to condition the course equal or better to the above mentioned clubs.  With tree removal and tweakings the course will become really, really good.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 06:28:53 AM »
Let' not forget that Glen Oaks, while architecturally bereft, is well considered to be the "Pine Valley of Cuisine!" With nearby Old Westbury ("The Cypress Point of Food"), these two LI classics compose golf's greatest one-two stomach combo ;D.

Craig probably became at least a little tired of cold ham and swiss sandwiches?
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:31 AM »
Congradulations to Craig in his new position . I wish you the best of luck.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back