News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Swinley Forest - February 16th 2010
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2010, 07:00:37 AM »
Ben - Scott could easily have taken 7 from when he was, James was 15 paces above the hole putting for a birdie and a half!

Any thoughts on the length of SF must consider it is probably the world's least competitive club and they are guardians of one of the very few classic courses not to have been tampered with. I can see some very fine player racking up high scores in dry conditions if they cannot control the ball around the greens.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »
Mark,

Scott must have been practising hence the Gary Player comment - 'the more I practise the luckier I get' or he was one lucky b*****!
Andrew also could have easily had a 7 if it was not for the wet conditions - if it was dry and firm the ball would have gone 40 yard down the slope.

I can see why the top pros practise at Swinley - not just for the long par 4's but for the greens themselves - they could be a great practice before taking on Augusta or a US Open or PGA course with severe slopes

Cheers
Ben

Jon Earl

« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2010, 07:19:29 AM »
Gareth

And a big 'Thanks' from me too. Swinley really is a special place both on and off the course (mmm, roast lamb with apple crumble and custard for afters).

Unfortunately I arrived late and didn't go out again post lunch so didn't get to meet as many people as I would have liked but thanks to James B and Tom for putting up with me.

Cheers

Jon

PS Can't believe what a beautiful day it is today. >:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:39:48 AM by Jon Earl »
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2010, 09:02:48 AM »
The weather here today is just stunning.....why oh why couldn't we have had this yesterday!?!?!? >:(

I'd get 54 holes in if we had this kind of weather  :)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2010, 09:07:26 AM »

Honorable mention must be given to the honey glazed gammon, monumental.

;D

I had to look that up.  Sound like you had a proper lunch.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
Gareth,

May I echo the sentiments of many for going to the trouble of arranging the day. It was a shame the weather Gods were not so accommodating, was rather frustrating waking up to a bright, warm and sunny day this morning...

Swinley is indeed a special place, and reminds me in many ways of Morfontaine.

It was lovely to meet quite a few people and I look forward to more similar days in the future.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
What was the winning score?
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
Mark,

I dont think the cards were collected at the end of the first round. We can collect all the GCAers morning round Stableford scores to find the best GCAer at Swinley on this forum.

I have the scores from my group

Andrew Mitchell (6 hcap) - 34 points (15 OUT + 19 IN)
Ben Stephens (5 hcap) - 27 points (10 OUT + 17 IN)
Mark Pearce (13 hcap) - 25 points (12 OUT + 13 IN)

Andrew got at least a point on each hole which is a mighty feat at Swinley Forest where it is easy to get a couple of blobs.
Mark's game was hot and cold throughout the round.
My game particularly the putter was not good on the front nine - the back nine was better but still let down by poor putting or was is not reading the greens properly???

Cheers
Ben

Mark Pearce

« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »
Why all this talk of honey glazed ham when steak and kidney pie was available?  And the portions.  I was given a heroic plate sized portion of steak and kidney pie and then two slices of roast lamb on top.  Tremendous.  And Andrew and I went out again at 2.45 and played 18 competitive holes in daylight.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
On one hand we got very lucky, as my missus spent the day 20 miles away and said it pissed down all day long, but on the other hand Monday was sunny and as I look out the window now, there are blue skies once more.

That's England for you  ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
Mark - steak and kidney pie.....a heroic effort!

We were pretty similar James Earley got 34 and Scott and I each got 33 points.

I did do a one man conga on the 10th tee having hit a four iron to 12ft for 3 bits, the congratulations from James and Scott were through tightly gritted teeth!

Skins was great fun in the afternoon with allegencies changing by the shot, by the third tee the boys who'd forgotten to colect a score card realised every hole had been stroke index 8 and a shot hole for me! Sadly the hill on 15 killed me as the effects of half a bottle of merlot had worn off. Scott holing the monster for 5 skins was a right kick in the boll***s, we couldn't even say good putt let alone high five him.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
I'm pleased to say that lunch significantly improved the quality of my golf, enabling me to halve a match with Andrew despite being 2 down with three to play.  In the process we managed to work out the strategy for playing the 11th, since Andrew birdied it in the morning and I did in the afternoon, both from the right hand heather!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2010, 04:09:58 AM »
Gareth,

May I echo the sentiments of many for going to the trouble of arranging the day. It was a shame the weather Gods were not so accommodating, was rather frustrating waking up to a bright, warm and sunny day this morning...

Swinley is indeed a special place, and reminds me in many ways of Morfontaine.

It was lovely to meet quite a few people and I look forward to more similar days in the future.

Glad you mentioned Morfontaine Tom as that is very much like Swinley Forest. Of the two I prefer SF but would happily play Morfontaine any day of the week I wasn't at Swinley.

Despite the weather I'm glad everyone had a good day and this date would be made available to us next year should we want to re-visit and pray for better weather in 2011....

Gareth Williams

« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2010, 04:22:45 AM »
Mark,

I dont think the cards were collected at the end of the first round. We can collect all the GCAers morning round Stableford scores to find the best GCAer at Swinley on this forum.

I have the scores from my group

Andrew Mitchell (6 hcap) - 34 points (15 OUT + 19 IN)
Ben Stephens (5 hcap) - 27 points (10 OUT + 17 IN)
Mark Pearce (13 hcap) - 25 points (12 OUT + 13 IN)

Andrew got at least a point on each hole which is a mighty feat at Swinley Forest where it is easy to get a couple of blobs.
Mark's game was hot and cold throughout the round.
My game particularly the putter was not good on the front nine - the back nine was better but still let down by poor putting or was is not reading the greens properly???

Cheers
Ben

Ben - I do have most of the (rather soggy and difficult to read...) cards here actually. Unfortunately the competitive side of the day got away from us (due in part to the weather and a couple of late arrivals) and the intended competition didn't get resolved.

I can tell you that the highest score the morning was 36 points from a non GCA member and James Earley was the top GCA member with 34 points.

p.s. Point of order - As we didn't get everyone to put into the prize fund it was decided that the fund that was partially collected (£30) would be left with the bar staff/dining room staff as a tip. Hope that is ok for those that did manage to contribute.

p.p.s. Honourable mention for my friend Simon who Tony and I played with in the morning. A storming 23 points (playing off 11) on the front nine (with a superb birdie on the 4th) was followed by a rather more dismal 9 points coming home. Hope it wasn't something Tony and I said or did..... ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:36:45 AM by Gareth Williams »

Scott Warren

« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2010, 04:39:34 AM »
Earlington isn't actually registered on GCA, is he?

That leaves Swampy and I with 33, raising the silverware!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:18 AM »
Scott,

To put a dampener on things Andrew Mitchell actually had 34 points so therefore he wins the GCA Swinley Swing!

Cheers
Ben

Jon Earl

« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2010, 04:52:22 AM »
I can report that from our 3 ball James Boon recorded a solid 31 points. The risk of public embarassment will preclude me from publishing mine and Tom's scores. Lets just call them 'NRs.'
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Scott Warren

« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »
;D

Ben: thanks for ruining my day!

Sean_A

« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2010, 05:32:23 AM »
Gareth

Thanks for the day.  I really enjoyed seeing the course again and at least some GCAers.  Several seemed to never appear in the afternoon.  The hole locations were something else and at least a few couldn't be done iin the summer. 

On a more somber note, while I didn't play in the AM, | did keep a card in the PM as we weren't told what the form was.  I am afraid this poorly old man knocked a few GCAers off the perch with 35 puntas.  Mind you, young JNC was starting to warm up on the back nine and I reckon he would have taken the lot if he had 9 more holes. 

Thanks again Gareth!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2010, 06:05:11 AM »
Sean - we left many a point on the course, unfortunately the greenkeepers squeeged the greens behind us in the morning, everyone else was playing lightweight, avoiding the rain until 0830 and getting squeezed greens. On 5 James had a long putt through two troughs of water, pitching would have been the only way of getting near the pin.

The afternoon was much easier  ;)

I'm not complaining as I took some spondos a.m. and p.m.!!
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »
A belated thanks to Gareth for organising a top day out.  Well worth the journey down from the frozen north.  Taking Susan to Windsor for a Valentine's Day break also secured several brownie points!

Good to see everyone again and meet some new GCAers.  Had a very enjoyable morning round with Ben & Mark, particularly when the early rain eased off.

It took us almost 4 hours in the morning, waiting on virtually every shot.  After an excellent lunch (I thought it surpassed Royal St Georges) Mark & I flew round in the afternoon playing a very competitive match (it went to the last putt on 18) in just 2hrs 30.  Presumably it was the non GCA crowd who didn't go out in the afternoon who slowed proceedings down in the morning  ;)

Gareth - if you feel the urge to make this an annual event don't hold back ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »
Sean - we left many a point on the course, unfortunately the greenkeepers squeeged the greens behind us in the morning, everyone else was playing lightweight, avoiding the rain until 0830 and getting squeezed greens. On 5 James had a long putt through two troughs of water, pitching would have been the only way of getting near the pin.

The afternoon was much easier  ;)

I'm not complaining as I took some spondos a.m. and p.m.!!

Chappers

I know, the sun was in your eyes.  Your mother was calling you.  Your Trousers were around your ankles.  I know, I know.

As an aside, our 3ball of Paulie, John Lyon and myself were round in 3:15 taking a leisurely walk (the only way I really play) and I am sure we slowed the kid down.  He plays fast - Huntercombe fast.  There was nobody in sight behind us until we were on the 13th.  That 2ball never did quite catch us.  I don't know who they were though.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Gareth Williams

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »

Gareth - if you feel the urge to make this an annual event don't hold back ;D

Sure Andrew. The same date will be held/offered to me for next year so I am happy to host again  :)

Scott Warren

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
Gareth: what about another one before October 9?!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
Gareth: what about another one before October 9?!

I thought you were looking at playing there in Gareth's other group in the next couple of weeks?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back