News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Swinley Forest - February 16th 2010
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »
Gareth - is it single tee start morning and afternoon or can we drive to the 10th??
Obviously the first 5 or 6 groups will be fine, it's the tail enders with the problems.
Cave Nil Vino

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »
I think I'm with Scott on this.  I like the idea of team events if anything.

Looking forward to catching up with those of you i've met before and to meeting those that I haven't.

Gareth:  Any chance of a cast list yet?
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
Scott,

Whilst I agree we want to get 36 holes in, if we can, I wouldn't rush lunch at Swinley.  It's not quite Muirfield (and may even fall just behind The Berkshire) but it's a bloody good British golf club lunch and worth enjoying.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 04:35:49 AM »
Well, I asked Gareth to let myself and my mate (Paulie) out first in the pm - since we aren't playing in the am.  I also requested that we play with someone in the first AM group who wants to fly through lunch and head back out.  If somebody fits that bill - tell Gareth.  I am looking to be on the tee no later than 1pm.  This will give all the others a fighting chance to finish if they don't doddle.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

James Boon

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 09:14:30 AM »
I'm not too fussed what format we play to be honest, but an individual stab in the morning followed by a team stab of some sort in the afternoon sounds reasonable.

I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring Mark's advice  ;) as I'm sure its a great lunch, but I think I'm happy for lunch to be a swift affair to make getting the afternoon round in easier.

Looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for some decent February weather!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
Gareth this is starting to sound like a nightmare for you.  ;)

I don't believe you've actually met that many of us, but as I've been an organiser for this group,  I can tell you that once you've decided what you consider the best way of playing the day,  you'll get no backchat.

Having said that, I'll be happy to be in one of the first groups out in the PM, even if that means skipping a course at lunch.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
Likewise. So Sean and Paulie will be champing at the bit, with James, Tony and I packing into the scrum behind them.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 05:19:11 PM »
You can play golf any day, a good lunch is harder to come by!

New book: Australian tennis finalists 2010.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:25:08 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 05:54:22 PM »
You can play golf any day, a good lunch is harder to come by!

Err maybe YOU can play golf any day...

What is this predilection for nursery food at the great golf courses of GB&I all about? 

I'm convinced that the Captain each year says to the cook, "We want the grub we scoffed at Eton but perhaps the cabbage is not put on until I start the back 9?" ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
New book: Australian tennis finalists 2010.

Maybe that FIGJAM might one day create cause for the tome: Post WW2 British Male Grand Slam Winners ;) But probably not...

To most young Brits, Fred Perry is nothing more than Damon Albarn's favourite shirt company ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:59:11 AM by Scott Warren »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
Scott - Perry will always be popular which is unlikely to be the case with Murray unless he becomes a touch more mellow.

Tony - I think it's public school thing, but the traditional clubs do tend to serve good food. 
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2010, 07:20:22 AM »
The monthly forecast suggests that 16th Feb will be in the middle of a severe cold spell, with heavy overnight frosts and the possibility of more snow in the south of the country.  Does anyone know Swinley's policy wrt play in frost (I recall playing Woking last winter in frosty conditions)? 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 04:59:46 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions here chaps.

I held a similar day last year (albeit with, I think, 18 players) at the same time so have a pretty good feel for what works for most people.

First off the weather. If we have snow (unlikely really) then the day would be, obviously, postponed. As for frost Swinley is like most of the Surrey/Berkshire sand belt courses in that it usually remains open in the hope the frost will thaw as the sun rises.

As for daylight it should be light until around 17.30-17.50 so that gives the opportunity to get 36 holes in.

The lunch at Swinley Forest is one of the highlights so I would certainly recommend that it isn't diminished or skipped to squeeze a few more afternoon holes in. However the day is about the golf so it is possible to balance things so that everyone is (I hope) happy.

For the format of the day we are playing in three balls and the first tee time is at 8.15am 8.00am- so the first group in for lunch should be around Noon. The playing format that would make the most sense here is Stapleford and full handicap allowances and then prizes for 1st,2nd and 3rd places. Therefore I would suggest that everyone who has a balance to pay on the day of £50.00 also makes provision for another £5 contribution that will go into the prize fund for the morning round.

We have 27 players for the morning rounds so that will translate neatly to 9 three balls. I will produce a draw sheet for that and ask someone to post it here later in the week.

For the afternoon, given the light/number of players, 29 in total - there needs to be a degree of flexibility to a point. Last year we didn't have a draw for the afternoon round so people grouped up into three's (and two's) to head back out for as much golf as was possible. Nearly everyone managed another 18 holes of free play but for myself (as last into lunch and last back out - yes, planned that part poorly!!) managed an edited round of around 14 holes which to be honest was fine for me.

So my suggestion for the afternoon is that we arrange now or over lunch a secondary team event for the afternoon round that enables as many to play a full 18 holes as possible. We could, of course, also introduce another prize fund for this afternoon team match and again that could be a further contribution of £5 a head, split between 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

For Swinley Forest I'm inclined to not have NTP and LD competitions though.

Sound reasonable so far?

Gareth

***Edit - Just spoke to the club and we can actually tee off from 8am as we have 8 minute increments for the morning groups. So makes sense to take that option and have the first group off at 8am here. Also for the afternoon the format is allowed to be Four balls/foursomes or greensomes - so gives us some options there***
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:37:25 AM by Gareth Williams »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 06:02:52 AM »
Gareth,

All sounds fine to me. 

Gareth Williams

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 06:52:02 AM »
Just done the draw.

Is as follows - GCA members in BOLD;

8.00am - Group 1

JAMES EARLEY - 3
SCOTT WARREN - 7
MARK CHAPLIN - 12

8.08am - Group 2

SIMON WOOD - 11
TONY MULDOON - 13
GARETH WILLIAMS - 18

8.16am - Group 3

ROBIN HISEMAN - 10
JAKUB CERVENKA - 11
GARY DIXON - 15

8.24am - Group 4

GRAEME BADENOCH - 4
DAVID LINDSELL - 5
STEVE HOLT - 7

8.32am - Group 5

JACK WALLACE - 0
NICK WALLACE - 8
MARK LOCKE - 11

8.40am - Group 6

ANDREW BOWDEN - 0
CHRISTIAN GREEDY - 8
PHILIP HOLLIDAY - 10

8.48am - Group 7

DAVID TAYLOR - 6
RICHARD MULDOON - 8
ROBIN GASKELL - 12

8.56am - Group 8

BEN STEPHENS - 5
ANDREW MITCHELL - 6
MARK PEARCE - 13

9.04am - Group 9

TOM BIRKETT - 5
JAMES BOON - 6
JON EARL - 15

And for the afternoon we are joined by;

SEAN ARBLE - 9
PAUL WHEELER - 14

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:37:37 PM by Gareth Williams »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 06:58:02 AM »
Gareth,

As the organiser it is, I presume, within your remit to allocate "society" handicaps.  You may want to look at the third player in that first group......

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:37 AM »
All sounds good Gareth, really looking forward to it and hoping the weather doesn't intervene.

Having surveyed the start sheet clearly the pressure is on all the players out early to make sure they don't dawdle and hold up the later groups who will be fighting the late afternoon light.  Was it Mackenzie who said a round of golf should take no more than 3 hours?  ;)
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Pearce

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 07:29:20 AM »
SF is only 6000 yards long.  Three balls realy should be taking 3 hours, maybe 3 hours 20 minutes at most.  Particularly in winter when lost balls shouldn't be an issue.

Jon Earl

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
SF is only 6000 yards long.  Three balls realy should be taking 3 hours, maybe 3 hours 20 minutes at most.  Particularly in winter when lost balls shouldn't be an issue.
Mark

You didn't see my 1st round of the year on Sunday  :(

Gareth

Thanks again for organising. This promises to be a great day.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:49:36 AM by Jon Earl »
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 08:31:33 AM »
SF is only 6000 yards long.  Three balls realy should be taking 3 hours, maybe 3 hours 20 minutes at most.  Particularly in winter when lost balls shouldn't be an issue.

If you were generous and said 3 hours 30 in the morning, 1 hour 30 for lunch and another 3 hours 30 in the afternoon then with the last morning group out at 9.00 am they'd be back in at 17.30 with darkness falling at 17.50.

Sorted!

Gareth Williams

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
Gareth,

As the organiser it is, I presume, within your remit to allocate "society" handicaps.  You may want to look at the third player in that first group......

I agree Mark.

After a brief review with the internal handicap board (who are well aware of the obvious lack of any ability to play said game of golf..) it has been decided to raise my handicap to 28 for this day  ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »
I move that we subtract the sum of the two numerals in Chaplin's handicap from his mark.

12 - 1 - 2 = 9

Mark Pearce

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
I move that we subtract the sum of the two numerals in Chaplin's handicap from his mark.

12 - 1 - 2 = 9
You're in an unusually generous mood today.  Any particular reason?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »
On behalf of group one I can assure you we will take 150 photographs, pace out all yardages, hole out everything, discuss "Great Australian Ashes Victorys (away 2005-2009) and I will use all my shots. As I see it I'm paying for four hours so will use them.

Finally no one will play through over spotted dick and custard!!
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
On behalf of group one I can assure you we will take 150 photographs, pace out all yardages, hole out everything, discuss "Great Australian Ashes Victorys (away 2005-2009) and I will use all my shots. As I see it I'm paying for four hours so will use them.

Finally no one will play through over spotted dick and custard!!

Cheers Mark  ;)

Given your exhortations to speed everyone along on the Wednesday morning at Deal I would have expected better from you  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back