News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Number 15 at The Honors...........Channel Hole?
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
  Love this hole. Crosses the water twice. Hazard down entire left side. Green hugs the water.

Is it a channel hole?

What are other holes that cross two hazards?

Anthony

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:54:18 AM by Anthony Gray »

Bill_McBride

Re: Number 14 at The Honors...........Channel Hole?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
18th at Witch Hollow at Pumpkin Ridge, but nobody's raving about that hole with its two forced carries of the wetland!  :o

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
ANGC #13...but I heard that hole is dogmeat!!  ;D

P.S.  There is at least one at the Idaho Club as well, #18

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
Anthony,

That is the 15th hole.  The 14th is one of my favorite short par threes in all of golf.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »
Anthony,

That is the 15th hole.  The 14th is one of my favorite short par threes in all of golf.

OOps

Dan_Callahan

Re: Number 15 at The Honors...........Channel Hole?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
The most obvious example to me is the 6th at King's North with the island fairway:

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
Only Jesus of Nazareth would consider the 15th at The Honors to be a channel hole.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:59 AM »
Only Jesus of Nazareth would consider the 15th at The Honors to be a channel hole.

Comments like this solidify my man crush on you.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Anthony, a little research is in order here.  The Channel Hole (like the photo above, great example) features an alternate fairway with a very high risk/reward ratio.

I would have thought that alter ego you are currently "channeling" would have straightened you out on that issue!   ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »
Anthony, a little research is in order here.  The Channel Hole (like the photo above, great example) features an alternate fairway with a very high risk/reward ratio.

I would have thought that alter ego you are currently "channeling" would have straightened you out on that issue!   ;D

If 18 at Harbour Town is one than........When I play this hole at The Honors it reminds me of 18 at HT. No alternate faiway. But it does cross the hazard twice.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »

If 18 at Harbour Town is one than........When I play this hole at The Honors it reminds me of 18 at HT. No alternate faiway. But it does cross the hazard twice.

Anthony

Who told you #18 at Harbortown is a Channel hole?  There's no alternate fairway.  The carry over the wetland to the left side doesn't get you any closer to the green.

There aren't many that truly meet the formal definition.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »

Anthony

Who told you #18 at Harbortown is a Channel hole?  There's no alternate fairway.  The carry over the wetland to the left side doesn't get you any closer to the green.

Who told me? George Bahto. Page 53.

AG

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »

Anthony

AG

Well, that's a pretty unimpeachable resource citation.  My apologies for doubting you.

I'll call Geo tonight to check this out!  ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »

Anthony

AG

Well, that's a pretty unimpeachable resource citation.  My apologies for doubting you.

I'll call Geo tonight to check this out!  ;D

You're awesome my captian.

AG

Will MacEwen

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »
One of the par 5s at Saguaro had an alternate fairway - woudl that be a channel hole?

http://www.wekopa.com/sites/images/236/saguaroHole.html?hole=14

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »
Here is the 14th at Saguaro from the tee

Will MacEwen

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
Thanks Derek. 

That scrub really cuts it in half.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 04:47:32 PM »
#10 Apache Stronghold has an alternate fairway left on this lengthy par 4, but boy is it narrow!

Ran's profile seems to be missing some pages, but here is an unlabeled photo that I suspect is #10.  This looks straight across the center hazard to the wide right side fairway.  The green grass to the left is the much narrower left fairway, which I suspect cuts off maybe 30 yards - IF you have the accuracy (and the stones) to play down that side.  Desert left, barranca hazard right.  It's a really good par 4.

George_Bahto

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »

Uncle George, I am unconvinced.  If the two tee shots are spokes of the same wheel, or radii of the same circle, I think the one on the left is a lot longer than the safer shot on the right.

i.e.  if the tee shot to the island is a lot longer, doesn't it sort of defeat the concept?  If the two tee shots were the same length on that hole at HH, there wouldn't be much advantage to playing to the left because the angle is so narrow.  If you could drive the ball that far to the safe side, you'd have about the same length shot from the safe side.

Jeez, I sound like Professor Moriarity and Tom Paul.  Now I understand......... ;)

George_Bahto

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
" I am unconvinced.  If the two tee shots are spokes of the same wheel, or radii of the same circle, I think the one on the left is a lot longer than the safer shot on the right.

i.e.  if the tee shot to the island is a lot longer, doesn't it sort of defeat the concept?  If the two tee shots were the same length on that hole at HH, there wouldn't be much advantage to playing to the left because the angle is so narrow.  If you could drive the ball that far to the safe side, you'd have about the same length shot from the safe side."

Bill, I've vacationed at HH for the past 25 years and have played about 50+ rounds on the course - I know the course.

I may not have "graphic-ed" it well enuf - the play to the peninsula, straight on to the hole, although the fairway is angled, is roughly 225-yd carry to reach the island fairway.

There is a thin strip of fairway all the way to the green on the left but the green is angled to the line of play if you go that route. That is a 3-shot route, for sure. It plays longer if you do not play to the island/peninsula.

There is a lot of advantage playing straight away - shorter.  If you go the right-hand route along the housing line, the houses and their backyards are OB.

Don't be too influenced by the pros who often hit 6 and 7 iron into the green, straight on. Most average players cannot play directly on line to the green but have to play slightly to the right. I usually have/had a 4-iron into that green - tough shot, great hole

There are multiple tees on this hole.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 09:27:56 PM »
" I am unconvinced.  If the two tee shots are spokes of the same wheel, or radii of the same circle, I think the one on the left is a lot longer than the safer shot on the right.

i.e.  if the tee shot to the island is a lot longer, doesn't it sort of defeat the concept?  If the two tee shots were the same length on that hole at HH, there wouldn't be much advantage to playing to the left because the angle is so narrow.  If you could drive the ball that far to the safe side, you'd have about the same length shot from the safe side."

Bill, I've vacationed at HH for the past 25 years and have played about 50+ rounds on the course - I know the course.

I may not have "graphic-ed" it well enuf - the play to the peninsula, straight on to the hole, although the fairway is angled, is roughly 225-yd carry to reach the island fairway.

There is a thin strip of fairway all the way to the green on the left but the green is angled to the line of play if you go that route. That is a 3-shot route, for sure. It plays longer if you do not play to the island/peninsula.

There is a lot of advantage playing straight away - shorter.  If you go the right-hand route along the housing line, the houses and their backyards are OB.

Don't be too influenced by the pros who often hit 6 and 7 iron into the green, straight on. Most average players cannot play directly on line to the green but have to play slightly to the right. I usually have/had a 4-iron into that green - tough shot, great hole

There are multiple tees on this hole.

Thanks for the added info, George.  I haven't been to HH for years and didn't play Harbourtown then.  It's a beautiful hole.

Tom Yost

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »
What is the origin of the term "channel hole?"

That photo of the 6th at King's North bears a remarkable resemblance to #9 at Scottsdale's McCormick Ranch Palm course (Desmond Muirhead - 1972)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back