News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Re: San Diego Golf
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
Jud,

You said a lot of the courses are overpriced and/or underwhelming in San Diego.  Well, I would throw Maderas in that category.  Barona would be my top pick. 

You did say private was an option as well.  So, why not try to get on Stone Eagle in Palm Desert?  It only 90 minutes away.

Does anyone know if they are allowing limited public play, or do you have to know a member?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »
I would say Carlton Oaks is worth a play and one of the Singing Hills(Secuan?) courses was pretty good. Coronado is a fun course that is a great buy for the money.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
Play Barona and Mount Woodson.The play is worth the price.

Tim Book

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:49 PM »
David, couldn't agree more on the Crossings.  Absolute disaster.

Michael, I played the Journey last week.  Definately CCFD expierence.  Conditions are great.  The course has its quirks, but overall its pretty solid if price is not much of a factor.  Not cut from the Rustic or Barona cloth, more akin to Maderas or Aviara.

Without a doubt Barona is the public course of choice for San Diego.  I played this afternoon and it was in great shape.  They close for a month in mid September for punching and overseeding.  Right now the greens as fast and true as I can ever remember.  Don't forget to join 'Club Barona' if you swing down this way, its free and the discount on green fees is nice.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »
If one was going to drive from La Jolla to Rustic Canyon what would be the best day/time to go to avoid traffic?early sunday morning?

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »
Sunday morning is excellent.
During the week travel from 9 to2 is the best.
I generally go up after 9 ,play ,eat in the area,
and come back at night.
Otherwise you just go slowly with the traffic.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
If one was going to drive from La Jolla to Rustic Canyon what would be the best day/time to go to avoid traffic?early sunday morning?

This has got to be the longest 158 mile drive in the country.  I think the 3 hr estimate by Mapquest must definitely be non rush hour.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=La+Jolla&1s=CA&1y=US&1l=32.847198&1g=-117.2733&1v=CITY&2c=Moorpark&2s=CA

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »

This has got to be the longest 158 mile drive in the country.  I think the 3 hr estimate by Mapquest must definitely be non rush hour.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=La+Jolla&1s=CA&1y=US&1l=32.847198&1g=-117.2733&1v=CITY&2c=Moorpark&2s=CA

The 150 miles between Eugene and Bandon were painfully slow, too much excitement, google maps says 2h40 from La Jolla to Moorpark 4h in traffic, would 3 be a safe bet on a sunday?

Martin Toal

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
I have been in SD on business from the UK about 8 or 9 times and played golf pretty much every time. Here is my take:

Torrey Pines: A disappointment (both courses). Just not very interesting - I remember very few holes, and as for pace of play, a calendar is more useful than a watch.

Aviara: Expensive and well kept. Moderately interesting, but by no means a must-play.

Maderas: This is actually my favourite in the area. Interesting holes, playable but challenging.

Meadows Del Mar (and several other names): Also an interesting layout, has been in good condition every time I played it. Not cheap.

Steele Canyon: Canyon 9 very good, Ranch 9 OK, meadow 9 dull.

Auld Course (now renamed): Nice enough and fair value, but never a links no matter what John Cook says.

Singing Hills (Scyuan): Out of tune, if you ask me.

Rancho Bernardo Inn: Nice enough, but nothing special. OK if staying there, not worth a trip.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
It is indeed possible to drive from downtown SD to Rustic Canyon in 3 hrs; Sunday morning is the only time it can happen though.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »
According to Mapquest it's 31 hours 34 minutes from San Diego to Lawsonia... ;D ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
Is Rustic Canyon worth a 3 hour drive each way? Are Barona and Rustic similar quality, it looks like Barona is a fair bit more expensive

Alex Miller

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 01:58:21 AM »
Ryan,

Depends on how much the drive is worth to you. If you can take 10-11 hours and deal with the traffic, then yes, I think it is. Barona is probably not that much more expensive when you throw in gas to that drive, but Rustic is a very cool course. I would say if you've got other stuff to fit in to your day, Barona is certainly not a bad plan B.  ;D

My trek was certainly not as far as SD, but I still had to drive almost two hours each way. I thought it was DEFINITELY worth it. Throw in an extra hour or two and I would still do it again.

-Alex

Matt Day

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 02:33:24 AM »
I'm hoping to play La Jolla with a friend in February whilst we at the Golf Industry Show.

Any feedback on the course would be appreciated, including expected weather for San Diego in February.

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
Matt-expect good weather...probably mid 60s high. pack a windbreaker and enjoy...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt Day

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
Matt-expect good weather...probably mid 60s high. pack a windbreaker and enjoy...
Thanks Jud, looking forward to it.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »
It is indeed possible to drive from downtown SD to Rustic Canyon in 3 hrs; Sunday morning is the only time it can happen though.

And you have to take the 15 to the 210 to the 118 to do it
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
No, 5 to the 405 to the 118; there isn't a soul on the road on Sunday mornings.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tim Leahy

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

I would avoid the 405, Orange County and the Sepulveda Pass at anytime.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
I know its just a minor thing but I always get a kick of how SoCal folks talk about thier highways with "the" in front of them. Isn't the number of the highway enough of a unique identifier without having to add "the"?

At the next KP event, I'll be sure to shake hands with "the" Bill McBride
As well have some fun when playing a round with "the" Anthony Gray
And maybe if I'm lucky get to eat lunch with "the" John Mayhugh.

;D  ;D  ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

I would avoid the 405, Orange County and the Sepulveda Pass at anytime.

Then you'd be wasting a LOT of time driving through the IE when it's an off-peak hour and the 405 is the most direct route to where you're going.

I regularly did Marina Del Rey to Rustic Canyon, 50 miles, in 45 minutes.

Barona Creek to Palos Verdes GC in 2:15 to connect a 36 hole day.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

scott_wood

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »
paging PETE LAVALLEE......
pls IM or call me @ 800-635-7170 eastern...
would like to chat a minute......and don't have #s for ya...
cheers
scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back