News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Re: What course that has never held a major should hold a major?
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
Not Kenny Perry for sure  ;D

I don't see a problem with appearance fees.

They generate more revenue for the tournaments
Hosting courses gain exposure for future visitors
Expand golf culture to places that may need it

The WGCs seem to be a good model. They established some great fields and now players compete in them when they can because they're reputable and elite tournaments.

PCCraig

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
Gentlemen, we have finally completed the circle.  Pat Craig and Melvyn, alone, arguing, against all evidence, that the Open won't go back to NI for political reasons.  Now they have found happiness together, should we not leave them to enjoy it?

Mark-

I never actually stated that it wouldn't go back to Northern Ireland, Ireland, or anywhere else because of Government politics. My point is that as so long as people such as Melvyn with his obvious bias are making the desicions, it doesn't stand a chance. It would be one of the coolest Open's ever to be able to see it played at County Down IMO. Unfortunatley the R&A generaly agrees with Melvyn. As he states below:

Guys, lets not forget this is a tournament born out of Prestwick, not anywhere else in the world, it’s the greatest golfing competition there is and the greatest victory is always when it is at St Andrews. Do not agree, then ask the winners of The Open.

Melvyn
H.P.S.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »
Concerning the US courses that some of you have listed, I for one hope that Pine Valley, NGLA, and the like NEVER hold any majors in the future. 

It seems like these Open Doctors get in there and totally screw up the courses and ruin their flavor.  Also, some of these courses need to keep their mystique.  Take the Golf Club in Ohio.  Man, I've never seen it and I don't know anyone who has played it...but I am dying to play it just because of that fact.  It is the mystique of the course. 

Don't ruin anymore of our gems to host a major...it is not worth it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
Charlotte CC - after it's recent renovation, it has everything a course and club would need to host a major... a fantastic golf course with wonderfully challenging greens complexes; spacious grounds; a large, comfortable clubhouse and supporting infrastructure; and it's located in a city with a population that has strongly supported professional golf events.

Good call David.  I played Charlotte this summer and thought that this would be a great venue for any tournament.  It has it all, distance, demanding iron shots and greens that have great movement.  

Charlotte CC will be hosting the USGA Women's Am next summer.  See link:
http://www.charlottecountryclub.org/Files/Library/USGA-PressRelease2-LaunchesPlanningEffort.pdf

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
This thread has gone on three pages and not one soul has mentioned Ganton.  You people need to get out more!

Please no crap about links.  It is a Late Cenozoic links and its bunkers hold more shells than you'll find in those of many Holocene links.

Sean_A

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »
This thread has gone on three pages and not one soul has mentioned Ganton.  You people need to get out more!

Please no crap about links.  It is a Late Cenozoic links and its bunkers hold more shells than you'll find in those of many Holocene links.

Mark

Ganton is a non-starter my friend. The big boys would eat Ganton for breakfast then wonder when the Open would start.  Its no more difficult than Woodhall and in the club champion tournament the winner usually goes under par.  Ganton has less chance to host The Open than Ireland (The Republic).  I do happen to think it could go back to Northern Ireland.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2009, 07:23:49 PM »
Sean

I refuse to compare Ganton to Woodhall and while it's always fun to bait the hook with Irish, I'll let that one go, too.

I will say Ganton possesses some of the finest angles of any course anywhere, angles that effectively Tiger-proof a number of holes.  Additionally, the 3rd, 13th, and 17th present half-par challenges that require even pros to ponder and make decisions.

There's also an analogous "fetch" presented by the open expanse of surrounding moors, giving the wind the distance to build (or just make the transit from the sea).

The conditioning means the greens can be both firmed and slicked if the organizers so desire.

Lastly, slow players run the risk of being eaten alive by the Hell Hounds, Werewolves, and Heathcliffs known to maraud the moors after dark.

Why, it even has a range!

I will concede the clubhouse is rather minor for these sorts of affairs but as for that, let them eat cake -- Ganton cake!

On a more-serious note, are you aware Ganton claims more R&A members than any club outside St. A's?  This is the real reason Ganton will not get an Open.  The toffs are not of a mind to share.

If the scores go low, so be it. Make it a par 68.

Rgds &tc
Mark

PS As for the club champion finishing under par, if not mistaken they've managed two players on one of the recent Curtis Cup teams.  Despite an octogenarian demo skew, they've got some playas, too.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
I would love to see a major at the Stadium Course at PGA West in Palm Springs but the weather is brutal in June and August. Maybe they could do a TPC championship there. Also Spyglass would be great if not too short.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sean_A

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »
Sean

I refuse to compare Ganton to Woodhall and while it's always fun to bait the hook with Irish, I'll let that one go, too.

I will say Ganton possesses some of the finest angles of any course anywhere, angles that effectively Tiger-proof a number of holes.  Additionally, the 3rd, 13th, and 17th present half-par challenges that require even pros to ponder and make decisions.

There's also an analogous "fetch" presented by the open expanse of surrounding moors, giving the wind the distance to build (or just make the transit from the sea).

The conditioning means the greens can be both firmed and slicked if the organizers so desire.

Lastly, slow players run the risk of being eaten alive by the Hell Hounds, Werewolves, and Heathcliffs known to maraud the moors after dark.

Why, it even has a range!

I will concede the clubhouse is rather minor for these sorts of affairs but as for that, let them eat cake -- Ganton cake!

On a more-serious note, are you aware Ganton claims more R&A members than any club outside St. A's?  This is the real reason Ganton will not get an Open.  The toffs are not of a mind to share.

If the scores go low, so be it. Make it a par 68.

Rgds &tc
Mark

PS As for the club champion finishing under par, if not mistaken they've managed two players on one of the recent Curtis Cup teams.  Despite an octogenarian demo skew, they've got some playas, too.

Mark

Unfortunately or not, the Open doesn't always go to the best courses. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
yeah but the ryder cup does   :P
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back