News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Pete Dye's a helluva guy
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
Of course, many of you DG posters know that for yourself.

In this case, the Old Master has generously re-supplied me with signed copies (albeit in limited quantity once again) of the book I wrote to celebrate his one-of-a-kind career--PETE DYE GOLF COURSES:  FIFTY YEARS OF VISIONARY DESIGN.

In the past, I would haul out a box or two when I ran into he and Alice every blue moon, and ask him to sign some copies.  But owing to continued interest from the collectors on this site for these rare books signed by both author and subject, my on-hand supply dwindled to nothing, and Pete was kind enough to sign books for me in Indy recently, and ship them down to Savannah.

So--If you want a one-of-a-kind Holiday Gift for yourself, or someone important to you, please IM me and I'll furnish the details...thank you!

Colin Sheehan

Re: Pete Dye's a helluva guy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »
magnitude
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:29:12 AM by Colin Sheehan »

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
Joel,

It was only 2 weeks ago that signed Pete Dye books were "rarer than a double eagle" with "less than 20-30 in existence".

How is this recent influx of signed books saturating the market going to affect the cost of the book?  I would assume the price is coming down markedly? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:17 AM »
this book goes for 190 signed  on amazon. is that the going rate for this book?

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »
Colin my snarky old friend and foil--  thanks for chiming in! I think you should tell the DG about your golf book--wasn't it a 3-Volume Epic of some kind?  I am sure there would be tremendous interest!  

David--Believe it or not, there are still only about 20--30 in existence.  Pete's nearly 84, and when I ask him to sign a few books, I literally mean a few.  As for the price fluctuation, it all depends on what Matt O'Brien (the next poster on this thread) means when he mentions Dye-signed books for $190.  If that's substantiated, then it's a whole different story.

Bottom Line--I am cognizant of the non-commercial nature of this site, and was hesitant before I brought up this subject again.  But every time I mention it, I get a flurry of IM's, which usually become sales.  Apparently Posters/Lurkers here realize the value of a book of this magnitude signed by both author and subject, and wnat to get hold of one while they can.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:29 AM »
I am cognizant of the non-commercial nature of this site, and was hesitant before I brought up this subject again.  But every time I mention it, I get a flurry of IM's, which usually become sales.  Apparently Posters/Lurkers here realize the value of a book of this magnitude signed by both author and subject, and wnat to get hold of one while they can.

Joel,

Sounds great. What % of profits are you contributing to the running of the site?

cheers,
Scott

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »
Thanks again for the offer Joel.  Once again you've been a good elf.  Sending you an email.

Eric

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Joel:

Ordinarily I would take you up on that offer but I had a long talk a couple of months ago with Alice and she sent me a signed copy of your book with an interest note about my father. As I think I told you they loved my dad. Last time I saw Pete he told me that story again of sitting in my Dad's house and the phone kept ringing and Dad didn't answer it (this was way before phone msg machines). Finally Pete couldn't take it anymore and yelled: "For God's Sake Jimmy, will you please answer the damn telephone?" and Dad just said calmly; "Pete, it just doesn't sound like it's for me."

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
Joel:

Ordinarily I would take you up on that offer but I had a long talk a couple of months ago with Alice and she sent me a signed copy of your book with an interest note about my father. As I think I told you they loved my dad. Last time I saw Pete he told me that story again of sitting in my Dad's house and the phone kept ringing and Dad didn't answer it (this was way before phone msg machines). Finally Pete couldn't take it anymore and yelled: "For God's Sake Jimmy, will you please answer the damn telephone?" and Dad just said calmly; "Pete, it just doesn't sound like it's for me."

very good story Tom! :D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
Good story, Tom.

Your dad sounds like a real character.....actually, the punchline to your story sounds like something Pete himself would say!

Thanks for sharing---

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back